Sony Psp 3000 Lcd Interlace Defect

j.pickens

Website
Visit site
I see that a new LCD design in the new version of the Sony PSP has a basic LCD defect.
It seems that the old LCD's used a vertical color pixel row alignment, and gave good performance.
The new display, while brighter, uses a horizontal pixel alignment.
This causes video display, which is scanned top to bottom, to give what appears to be Interlace distortion.

My question:
Which style is the new Pandora LCD?
This could cause a world of suck, if the "new improved" design is used.

Anyone know the answer?
Thanks,
J.

10-21-08-psp-screen-comaro.jpg

Link:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/sony-lo...acing-problems/

psp-lcd-comparo-600.jpg

Link:
http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/10/31/psp-3...sue-discovered/

a psp display isnt being used so i am not sure of the relevence of your question, i belive the lcd being used is the same one as is used in the archos 604 (although i could be mistaken) this is one of the highest quality small touch screen displays on the market

Spray190 said:
a psp display isnt being used so i am not sure of the relevence of your question, i belive the lcd being used is the same one as is used in the archos 604 (although i could be mistaken) this is one of the highest quality small touch screen displays on the market
The relevance is that breakthroughs in technology tend to propagate through the industry.
I'm wanting to see if this technology was incorporated into the Pandora display.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spray190 said:
You nearly have it... it's the Archos 605 which has the same display used for the Pandora :p

j.pickens said:
The relevance is that breakthroughs in technology tend to propagate through the industry.
I'm wanting to see if this technology was incorporated into the Pandora display.

Well, google is your friend: "site:gp32x.de keyword"
then search for display (or archos, as the :pandora1: will have a display allready in an archos).

Then you will know that the display is very good.

Spearhead said:
Spray190 said:
You nearly have it... it's the Archos 605 which has the same display used for the Pandora :p

damn i was hoping nobody would pick up on that, i realised i had made a mistake on that one when i did a quick search just after posting

j.pickens said:

Would you call that a "breakthrough in technology?" Everyone has already mentioned a trillion times that the display is awesome. That includes both devs, and people who have looked at the Archos.

Canguy said:
Would you call that a "breakthrough in technology?" Everyone has already mentioned a trillion times that the display is awesome. That includes both devs, and people who have looked at the Archos.
It is a breakthrough, in that it makes for a MUCH brighter display.
So much so that Sony calls the PSP 3000 the "Brite".

And I appreciate that people say the Archos has a wonderful display, but it is not being used for gaming.
Anybody have an Archos 605 they can look at to see if the blue pixels are vertical or horizontal?
And it is my understanding that the Pandora demos to date have not been using the final LCD model.
Am I wrong?

How is this a breakthrough in technology? :lol: All I see is a display that is even more shite than the original PSP one... :unsure:

j.pickens said:
And I appreciate that people say the Archos has a wonderful display, but it is not being used for gaming.
Anybody have an Archos 605 they can look at to see if the blue pixels are vertical or horizontal?
And it is my understanding that the Pandora demos to date have not been using the final LCD model.
Am I wrong?
The Archos display is used for 800x480 video playback. Are you now seriously going to contend that that is less demanding than displaying games?

Please try to do some research before hitting that keyboard, like going to a store and look at a working 605. It's what I did.

j.pickens said:
I see that a new LCD design in the new version of the Sony PSP has a basic LCD defect.
It seems that the old LCD's used a vertical color pixel row alignment, and gave good performance.
The new display, while brighter, uses a horizontal pixel alignment.
This causes video display, which is scanned top to bottom, to give what appears to be Interlace distortion.

My question:
Which style is the new Pandora LCD?
This could cause a world of suck, if the "new improved" design is used.

Anyone know the answer?
Thanks,
J.

10-21-08-psp-screen-comaro.jpg

said:
Just wear some of those Kanye West glasses and you wont notice a thing...
http://thelastgasp.files.wordpress.com/200...-400a071107.jpg

:lol:

The real comedy about the PSP 3000, is that Sony has responded to this defect by calling it a "feature." Some feature.

I can confirm there are no such problems with Pandora's LCD. And I'm quite picky on such things, for some reason my GP2X F200 does have interlacing artifacts (it isn't supposed to), while F100 doesn't.

Also confirm that the alignment is vertical so it can get neat font-sub-pixeling (Like it's needed :D )

I heard rumors that the new Nintendo DSi which was recently released in Japan has the same problems as the new PSP. So fears that this will become common among new handhelds are not unfounded.

Zoxc said:
Also confirm that the alignment is vertical so it can get neat font-sub-pixeling (Like it's needed :D )
How can I determine alignment? This is the best I could get with my ancient webcam:
lcdzoom.png

(BTW, guess where this fragment is from)

notaz said:
Zoxc said:
How can I determine alignment? This is the best I could get with my ancient webcam:
lcdzoom.png

This is vertical alignment. (the blue forms vertical lines when you look closely at a solid blue area).

notaz said:
Zoxc said:
lcdzoom.png

Thanks, Notaz.
What display is that photo from?

Back