Sony PSP specs

Twimfy

OMG 3 years here!
Website
www.stctg.co.uk
Here are the official release Specs for the PSP, ok it's not gonna be open source, but who cares I still want one.

CPU: MIPS R4000 * 2; 32bit CGextended instructions, FPU, VFPU (vector unit) at 2.6gigaflops, I and D cache, 2.6gb/s bus bandwith, 1-333Mhz (1.2v), 128bit bus.
RAM: 3Mb (eDRAM)
Other processors: Vector floating engine, Advanced 3D graphics engine.
Video: AVC MPEG4 decoder, Main and basline profile, Level 1 to 3 2h in HQ, 4h in SQ.
Graphics core: 3D curved surface + 3D polygon, compressed textures, Hardware clipping, Morphing, Bone (up to 8) Hardware tesselator, Bezier, B-spline(NURBS, 4*4 to 64*64 sub-divisions) 2Mb VRAM, 5.3Gb/s bus bandwith, 664Mpixels/s fill rate, maximum of 33m polygons/s (T&L).
Protection: Region code, AES Crypto system.
Media: Memory Stick (standard, pro and magic gate); UMD 1.8Gb.
Screen: Backlight, 24bit full colour RGBA, 480*272 dots, 16:9 widescreen format.
Interfaces: Analogue stick, L&R triggers, 4 digital buttons, start, select.
Communication: Built in wireless LAN (802.11) Wi-Fi and IrDA.
Sound Core: VME (reconfigurable DSP) at 128bit bus, 166Mhz (1.2V), 5Giga operation/s CODEC and multiple effects (synthesiser, effecter, etc.)
Sound: 7.1 channel, 3D sound, CODEC.
Sound formats: ATRAC3 plus, AAC, MP3.
Memory Stick: Standard, Pro and Magic gate.
UMD Drive (=*2 DVD-ROM drive): Laser diode at 660nm, Dual layer for a total of 1.8Gb, 11Mbps transfer rate, Shock proof, secure ROM by AES, Unique disc ID.
IO: USB 2.0, AV in and out, Extension port, Stereo headphone out.
Battery: Li-on (rechargeable)

Crazy crazy machine...

Any word on price?

(I still hate that there's no open SDK for it.. but I guess it would be kind hard to get stuff on considering the unique media format.. I guess they want to prevent copying (at the expensive of amateur developers of course..))

esoteric_ posted on Sep 7 2003 at 08:04 PM said:
Crazy crazy machine...

Any word on price?

(I still hate that there's no open SDK for it.. but I guess it would be kind hard to get stuff on considering the unique media format.. I guess they want to prevent copying (at the expensive of amateur developers of course..))
There might be a way to get stuff running from the magic gate sticks tho... hmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it will be all its cracked up to be. Sony really dissapointed me with psx and ps2, so screw psp what makes you think it will be any better? I personally like zodiac or whatever, it looks and sounds really nice.

im also more intrested in the zodiac ... first i want to see the psp....
the big point for it that the have much money so many games will be released on it ...

but my dream would come true if a Dreamcast handheld would come out :D or a nintendo 64.. both should be possible but it will be a dream :(

That isn't a portable dreamcast, its a dreamcast with the lid replaced with a TFT screen.

Thats all.

And if you look in the comments several people have pointed that out, i'd love to see someone try to carry it around lol

The size of 2 house bricks, No powersupply, no joypad....

-Craig

www.gbax.com

What do you mean its not portable. Its got a built in screen and a lighter plug, you could play in the car or plug it in the outlet anywhere without the need for a tv.

I think he means it's not handheld. Anyhoo Sony say the PSP will play games just below PS2 standard. So basically I think we're looking at Dreamcast quality games here people.

Twimfy posted on Sep 8 2003 at 06:25 PM said:
I think he means it's not handheld. Anyhoo Sony say the PSP will play games just below PS2 standard. So basically I think we're looking at Dreamcast quality games here people.
Maybe DC standard graphics, I doubt they'll be DC quality games...

thebluenewt posted on Sep 8 2003 at 08:28 PM said:
Maybe DC standard graphics, I doubt they'll be DC quality games...
Rightly corrected.

Hmmmm sorry to hurt all the PS fanboys for life here, but the Dreamcast does not have as bad specs as people would think ...it infact beats the PS2 in amount of RAM and has better stability with a higher PPS count than the PS2. Oh and don't tell me nobody else here is annoyed with the PS2's fake 640x480 (really 640x240) resolution which results in those endless jagged edges(way to go sony, make the same mistake twice :angry:).

Twimfy posted on Sep 9 2003 at 03:03 PM said:
I hope you aren't accusing me of being a Sony fan boy! After my saturn my Dreamcast is my fave console.
It's obvious what kind of fanboy you are to me; almost (otherwise) all posts I've read that you posted mentions at least one Sega-related thing :p

GP32 Kirby posted on Sep 9 2003 at 09:06 PM said:
I hope you aren't accusing me of being a Sony fan boy! After my saturn my Dreamcast is my fave console.
It's obvious what kind of fanboy you are to me; almost (otherwise) all posts I've read that you posted mentions at least one Sega-related thing :p
I constantly live in hope that Sega will return to the console market.

Twimfy posted on Sep 10 2003 at 12:48 PM said:
GP32 Kirby posted on Sep 9 2003 at 09:06 PM said:
I constantly live in hope that Sega will return to the console market.
Here here. :D

Trooper

Back