Sorry...

Billyy

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I have decided that instead of getting a GP32 for Christmas, I am going to take a chance and order a Tapwave Zodiac, but, I will be getting heaps of cash for Christmas, (the only things I want are a Palm m130, and a Tapwave Zodiac, and cash) so I WILL be getting a GP32 shortly after Christmas.
What are your opinions on my choice?

No need for a public apology. I for one agree with that, but still get a gp32 for the hell of it. They wont be around forever you know... As for me, I hope to get a tapwave zodiac soon. I want a piece of that fine machinery.

Getting a palm is kind of iffy if youre already getting a zodiac though. For the price of a good palm you could get a gp32 and a GTA. (not grand theft auto, a game theory admiral)

are those GTA things any good though? I was always afraid of getting a game axe due to the battery life and the fact that it'd look stupid and be rather flimsy/unportable with a NES cart and famicom adapter sticking out...

I was going to rant about how you getting all that stuff made you a rich bastard, but I managed to restrain myself. :ph34r:

I really want a Zodiac too.

But one question, does it have a touch screen stylis thingy?

Or is the cursor moved with the analogue pad only?

yes, the zodiac does have a touchscreen, you clip it on its side. its cool looking, and it looks WAYYYY to much like a gp32 for comfort :eek: its wierd...

Pretty tempted by one myself, look quite impressive what with a200mhz arm chip and a dedicated gfx processor. Been after a dedicated pda/games machine and this looks like it might fit the bill. ;)

The i can get rid of my IPAQ, i really don't like the wince OS preferred palms by miles.

Anyone know what the release date is or seen any hands on first impressions on the web on it.

does it have external memory as well? because thats pretty sucky if it only comes with 128mb of memory (the$400 one)

edit: no worries i found out it has a flash memory

and it says that they're going to release a 2nd generation tapwave by the time the psp comes out. why not wait until that comes out instead of buying one now and having an obsolete machine in a year?

- Get the GP32 if you want a handheld system for emulation and development.

- Get the Zodiac if you want cooler-looking games, more potentional, and more utilities (thanks to Palm OS).

We all may sound like rabid GP32 fanboys/girls here, but the fact of the matter is purchasers of the Tapwave Zodiac are buying more into hype then even we display here about the GP32. It's not to say that the Zodiac may be a good system, but there just isn't enough solid evidence to back it yet.

I've also waited at least 2 to 4 months after a system was released to see how it would fair. Remember the defeated handhelds - Tiger.com, Lynx, Nomad, Game Gear, etc. Some lasted longer then others, but they didn't have a PDA features either.

Note that PDA features are generally not marketed towards the avid gamer - it doesn't like very professional to have a portable gaming system as a PDA. That skims down the market considerably, where we are left with people of younger generations and old timers who held onto the child inside of them, and the former doesn't exactly have bags of money to throw around. The GP32 is about $100 cheaper, which allows it to pick up parts of the market Zodiac can't reach.

Now for some personal preferences. Feel free to identify with them or not, but they're not part of any critical analysis except on myself.

I'm very interested in homebrew development (especially emulators), as I am a homebrew developer myself. I've found no need for PDAs once I got the GP32. It has a calender feature, and I've miraculously figured out, on my own, what is today's date every single day, and I have this thing called a "watch" that tells me the current time. Of course this means I would rather have a crappy PDA and an excellent handheld gaming system then a great PDA and a crappy handheld gaming system. Anyway, for the extra $100 I could be spending, I could buy a decent PDA to go along with my crappy PDA.

In conclusion - The GP32 isn't most cool because of its specs nor the homebrew community. The GP32 is most cool because it is here and now.

Wow, this is the first time I'm actually able to see this baby - and it does look sweet! Makes me wonder why I bothered getting a GP32. (j/k!) But it looks rather comfortable, and extremely versatile. It's nice it has all four front-face buttons right next to each other, unlike the GP32. And for all of its included features, it has a pretty decent price (especially that built-in wireless networking). Its memory storage capabilities are expanded by SecureDigital cards, which appear to go up to about a gig right now. That's a lot of games. That would almost be enough for my Genesis ROM collection :lol: . But yeah, maybe when I get more money I'll invest in one of these puppies also.

A gig of storage would be nice, but since there's practically no emulators for this thing it kind of kills that idea :(

It'll be 6 months before good emus come out for it I'd say.

Relax people, it is not like i am abandoning the GP32, in fact, far from it.I plan to become a more avid fan of the GP32 than of the Zodiac, and I understand that the Zodiac may not last long, but I looved both the Lynx and Game Gear, but I did not get one when they first came out, so I had a hard time finding them. I just feel like supporting Tapwave in it's (seemingly) good product.

Oh, and are u loaded by any chance? "the only things I want are a Palm m130, and a Tapwave Zodiac, and cash". Blimey, id b gob smacked if i got just the zodiac for christmas. :huh:

sorry, i mistyped i DID want a palm m130, but i am not getting one now that I want a Zodiac, PS I am getting the 300$ Zodiac, and just becuz i get more than u for christmas doesn't make ME or you worse or better people, so just be quiet.

Billyy posted on Sep 17 2003 at 08:08 PM said:
Relax people, it is not like i am abandoning the GP32, in fact, far from it.I plan to become a more avid fan of the GP32 than of the Zodiac, and I understand that the Zodiac may not last long, but I looved both the Lynx and Game Gear, but I did not get one when they first came out, so I had a hard time finding them. I just feel like supporting Tapwave in it's (seemingly) good product.
This is going to sound shitty, but ... does anyone really care if you abandon the GP32 or not? Not only is there a whole thread about how you're apologizing for not buying one, now you're assuring us you're not abandoning us ...

Did you develop some game or port an emulator I missed? I think I'm going to sleep okay tonight regardless of what system you buy or don't buy.

While I'm ranting, everytime someone announces that they're selling their GP32 in here, do we need entire threads begging them not to? They're either broke or bored with it, either way, sell away. Unless you're Ryleh or Yoyo and have put something on my SMC, then go ahead and sell, we'll be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Billyy posted on Sep 17 2003 at 09:17 PM said:
sorry, i mistyped i DID want a palm m130, but i am not getting one now that I want a Zodiac, PS I am getting the 300$ Zodiac, and just becuz i get more than u for christmas doesn't make ME or you worse or better people, so just be quiet.
I didnt say u were better or worse than me, i just said u were lucky so u just be quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back