Sound Issues - Headphone Jack

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
I thought I was ripping DVDs poorly, but today clinched it. Regardless of what I'm listening too the sound coming through the headphone jack is off. The vocal track sounds like the speaker is speaking down a distant metal hallway. Low volume, echo-y, distant, tinny... Most of the rest of the track is very very loud in comparison. I can barely hear lead vocal in songs, and the laugh track on DVD shows is 100x louder than the jokes they cover over. When I play through the speakers its normal, only through the headphone jack that it's poor.

Any ideas?

Is it a config issue? I'd *love* someone to tell me there's a setting or two I've not stumbled upon that will fix this...

Thanks in advance!

I thought I was ripping DVDs poorly, but today clinched it. Regardless of what I'm listening too the sound coming through the headphone jack is off. The vocal track sounds like the speaker is speaking down a distant metal hallway. Low volume, echo-y, distant, tinny... Most of the rest of the track is very very loud in comparison. I can barely hear lead vocal in songs, and the laugh track on DVD shows is 100x louder than the jokes they cover over. When I play through the speakers its normal, only through the headphone jack that it's poor.

Any ideas?

Is it a config issue? I'd *love* someone to tell me there's a setting or two I've not stumbled upon that will fix this...

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like one of two things are happening here. One: Your headphone jacks pins are a bit loose in the inside. Two: You're using headphones etc that have the incorrect pin setup. Are you using anything apple branded, with a mic built in?

Has the audio out ever worked well? How long has this been occuring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like one of two things are happening here. One: Your headphone jacks pins are a bit loose in the inside. Two: You're using headphones etc that have the incorrect pin setup. Are you using anything apple branded, with a mic built in?

Has the audio out ever worked well? How long has this been occuring?

Thanks for the response! Taking the hint from you I went out and got myself a different set of headphones and they work perfectly. So absolutely nothing wrong with the pandora, though now I am interested to learn why it is my crapple headphones work on all of my devices other devices. Apparently something to do with pins :)

Thanks again for the help.

Apple reversed the ground and microphone pins on their headsets. It causes weird distortion on devices that expect ground to be normal. It may correctly work on other devices because other devices don't have a microphone, so it ends up being grounded correctly anyway, but the Pandora does expect the microphone and ground lines to be in their standard places because it does use the microphone.

You can "fix" the apple headphones by splicing the appropriate wires.

Back