Special Port Request: Amsn

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Since aMSN is a good looking msn messenger application and supports webcam, voice chat, id would be great to have it on pandora.
I want to hear if its realisticly possible on pandora, and hopefully convince a developer to port this.

It seems to be realistic for me, but webcam support, doesnt that eat alot of pandora?
Im really wanting this because of the simple live messenger look, and because it has webcam support in linux.

Mithrildor said:
ED already showed us a a app that can do MSN in a vid, forgot the name of the app
yeah that was pidgeon i think...not really fancy looking(reason why i like live messenger) and no webcam support. but maby with webcam support in the future, but i dont think it was on the priority's list from the dev team.
I'l still use pidgeon for irc channels though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This port request was already made a few time, it have been on the wiki "Port Request" page for a while.

I would like to see aMSN too, though I think the interface would need to be rethought for the Pandora's screen. Currently webcam sessions launch in a new window which wouldn;t work terribly well. There's not really enough screen real-estate to see yourself and somebody else and still hold a meaningful conversation so your cam's image would need to be squished down to tiny size.

Pleng said:
I would like to see aMSN too, though I think the interface would need to be rethought for the Pandora's screen. Currently webcam sessions launch in a new window which wouldn;t work terribly well. There's not really enough screen real-estate to see yourself and somebody else and still hold a meaningful conversation so your cam's image would need to be squished down to tiny size.
i can live with that. and the 800 vertical pixels should hold 2 fair webcam screens.

borgqueenx said:
Pleng said:
i can live with that. and the 800 vertical pixels should hold 2 fair webcam screens.

PROTIP: No it wont. I have a EEE701, I know these things.

(naw)mcx said:
borgqueenx said:
Pleng said:

can you post a print screen? :)

borgqueenx said:
(naw)mcx said:
borgqueenx said:
Pleng said:

i would, but no one wants to go on webcam with me any more, (i'm single nao, sadface).

i use WLM, so maybe aMSN would be different, but it's tiny webcams, screwed up shapes, etc.

(naw)mcx said:
borgqueenx said:
(naw)mcx said:
borgqueenx said:
Pleng said:

i would, but no one wants to go on webcam with me any more, (i'm single nao, sadface).

i use WLM, so maybe aMSN would be different, but it's tiny webcams, screwed up shapes, etc.
mmh, when i saw a guy on school webcamming with his girlfriend, it looked rather good. it was also 800*480 on a netbook.
but ofcource i have no idea how pandora will do it.

few years ago there was a gnome-meeting app, which worked with webcams, I used it that time. I heard that they have changed its name since then, but I guess that they didn't drop webcam support, but improved it instead.

cosurgi said:
few years ago there was a gnome-meeting app, which worked with webcams, I used it that time. I heard that they have changed its name since then, but I guess that they didn't drop webcam support, but improved it instead.
The old or new name? To bad its not msn...but i could always ask my best friends to use that as well so we can see each other.

borgqueenx said:

What 800 vertical pixels?

cosurgi said:

gnomemeeting became Ekiga, not a bad little app but you cant use it for msn or skype calls
http://ekiga.org/

Back