• No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Kojote

Certified Guru
Staff member
Website
www.pdroms.de
Just in time for the weekend Sqrxz for the OpenPandora is ready! Hails go, as usual, to Pickle for finalizing the port!

Sqrxz requires fast reflexes and is a simply mindblasting Jump'n'Run puzzle game with high frustration factor.

Story: While Sqrxz wandered around on a sunny day, he was unaware that he had lost all his items while enjoying the scenery. It was already dark until he recognized the loss. There was no possibilty, but to go back where he started the trip and save his things. If the loss was not already enough, strange creatures appeared. Will they be helpful?

20100628_sqrxz_v0.9.9_(symbian_os_game).jpg
capture_27062010_183720.jpg

Sqrxz (2010) is a remake of a game with the same name and has been created by Thor, Kojote, Simon Butler, and Syphus. Support came from Maze, Mulle and Mahek. A remake should be usually bearing improvements, so does Sqrxz 2010. Beside the “classic” graphic mode, there is a new mode with “deluxe” graphics. The main gameplay has modified in a way that you need to collect all items to open the door at the end of each level, which makes some levels harder than they actually already were. Extended “fun” is guarantueed with additional three levels, unseen before. Each level does have it’s own chiptune and adds up to the retro feeling. A Top 10 highscore table will hold all your records. For the ones who like hidden features, there is even a small easter egg!

Features:
* Hardly any game will annoy you more! Frustration deluxe ahead!
* Amiga’ish feeling!
* 16 Levels including a beginners level
* 18 Chiptunes
* Classic AND new graphic mode
* Top 10 highscore
* Endless continue mode
* Hidden easter egg

Homepage: http://www.sqrxz.de/?p=171

PS: We don't mind if anyone would like to donate ;)

Nice game!

The (menu) controls could be better - it says "press start" and means "press enter". The same for selecting menu entries, pressing "A" moves up an entry, you need to press enter to select.

paeryn said:
Nice game!

The (menu) controls could be better - it says "press start" and means "press enter". The same for selecting menu entries, pressing "A" moves up an entry, you need to press enter to select.

that could be fixed by a simple button mapping in the config file, i justed have to have mapped the joystick enter/fire to the shoulders. Keyboard works like you found with pressing enter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played the first 4 levels :)
Really nice work :) Thanks a lot :D

Nice seeing more homebrew games for the Pandora appear already :)

The game is fun, but I believe the collision is too unforgiving. (I got impaled on spikes I never even touched... :)

-God Ginrai

Alex. said:
You guys work fast :) How about a 32bit Linux build?

Thor is on vacation, he will be back in a bit more than two weeks, then we might be taking care of an Ubuntu build.

Pickle said:
EvilDragon said:
Just played the first 4 levels :)
Really nice work :) Thanks a lot :D

Nice seeing more homebrew games for the Pandora appear already :)

i got stuck on level 5 ;-)

There are a few guys who played through the game already, so can you :)

God Ginrai said:
The game is fun, but I believe the collision is too unforgiving. (I got impaled on spikes I never even touched... :)

-God Ginrai

Maybe it needs a bit tweaking like we did for Giana's Return. Tile collisions are partially really unforgiving ;)

Yeah, collisions could be a bit nicer to the player ;)

It's nigh impossible jumping through a hole of one block unless it's right at a wall and you go as far to the wall as you can :D

EvilDragon said:

It's nigh impossible jumping through a hole of one block unless it's right at a wall and you go as far to the wall as you can :D

This problem is know, but the levels are usually designed in a way that there are two blocks. So just break those two blocks and you have enough space to jump up :)

Kojote said:
EvilDragon said:

This problem is know, but the levels are usually designed in a way that there are two blocks. So just break those two blocks and you have enough space to jump up :)

Yeah, until now it worked... just was afraid that might change with later levels :D

Last edited:
Hey Kojote, i can't test your game since i don't have my Pandora yet, but i always wondered if you were the Kojote that developed this little one - level Turrican game for the PC?
I would love to see a nice run 'n gun game on the Pandora...

Pickle: Ahh.. I didn't realise the shoulder buttons worked as "enter". I never think to use them :blink:

I'm up to level 5 so far.

Must... stop... playing... work... to... do...

Kojote said:
EvilDragon said:

But this gets very frustrating when you have to hit the one-tile space between two spikes. It often happens that you did not touch any of the spikes visibly but still die.

Apart from that it's a very well made game, sadly I have a very low frustration threshold, so I have not gotten any further than level 2 or 3 ;)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Kojote said:
EvilDragon said:

But this gets very frustrating when you have to hit the one-tile space between two spikes. It often happens that you did not touch any of the spikes visibly but still die.

Apart from that it's a very well made game, sadly I have a very low frustration threshold, so I have not gotten any further than level 2 or 3 ;)

foxblock out

I think your trying to solve the puzzle the incorrect way.

Pretty fun game, and I enjoy the challenge. Have to agree with ED though that the collision detection for getting through single block spaces is pretty rough.

EvilDragon said:
Kojote said:
EvilDragon said:

Yeah, until now it worked... just was afraid that might change with later levels :D

It wont :)

Fishbong said:
Hey Kojote, i can't test your game since i don't have my Pandora yet, but i always wondered if you were the Kojote that developed this little one - level Turrican game for the PC?
I would love to see a nice run 'n gun game on the Pandora...

Yes, I am that "Kojote" :) The game has a completely different engine and also it was more of a technical demo rather than a game. There is just one level, but the map is quite big. Also "Turrican" is copyrighted, I don't have the nerves again for running after someones copyright :)

foxblock said:
Kojote said:
EvilDragon said:

foxblock out

You should not try even thinking to jump between spikes ;) Look around if there is a different way to handle the situation and you'll be finding one.

naples39 said:
Pretty fun game, and I enjoy the challenge. Have to agree with ED though that the collision detection for getting through single block spaces is pretty rough.

If you want to fall trough single space blocks you just hold down to be slower, if you talk about the problem EvilDragon had, just make sure to split two blocks before you fit through. We try to improve this with the next update. We kept the gameplay from the original version, maybe keeping every aspect of the classic was not that clever :)

Kojote said:

If you want to fall trough single space blocks you just hold down to be slower, if you talk about the problem EvilDragon had, just make sure to split two blocks before you fit through. We try to improve this with the next update. We kept the gameplay from the original version, maybe keeping every aspect of the classic was not that clever :)
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm getting by, just an observation. Now to figure out how to get out of the water at the end of that level (5?).

Back