Squeezebox Possible With Pandora?

cbox

Recently set myself up a squeezebox server on my network, any idea if the software player could be ported to Pandora? http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

I'm hoping that this will work out too.

BTW the player you linked to is obsolescent; with the latest server versions SqueezePlay is the client player, I don't know how many times Slimserve/Logitech have renamed their various streaming-related programs in the last few years but hopefully it has stabilised now.

The source code is available and the default UI seems to suit the Pandora real estate and touchscreen, also plenty of discussion wrt ARM version, eg.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=29278

I plan on using my pandora as a type of squeezebox, I dont know if i'd go with the squeezebox software. I'll Probably just mount my network drive, and connect to it via wireless then hook up my pandora to my stereo set and see how that works out.

(this is one of the things I wanted to buy before I saw the pandora which is so much more)

(also for all music listeners check my sig ;) )

btw this is one of my first topic on the forum might be interesting : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44035-pandora-as-wifi-remote-audio-device

Last edited by a moderator:
There used to be a way to assign any networked device to SqueezeCenterPlayServer and to play an mp3 stream while using the browser to control the server application. You could switch the default view of the server menu to "N770" to get a touch-friendly 800x480 interface. I used to do it on a Nokia Internet Tablet (the N770). What I remember about the process is that the identity of N770 never seemed to be stored in SqueezeCenter, but that may have more been related to the IP address changing from time to time. All that meant was that it didn't remember any changes in the settings. Also, the synchronization was never 100% with the Squeezeboxes themselves, but instead the N770 was always slightly delayed. That may have been due to some slight lag caused by the N770s streaming music playback software. The N770 had a surprisingly good mono speaker for its size; it was like carrying a transistor radio with a four hour battery life around your own home.

I'm reviving this old topic because it just occurred to me that it might be possible and desirable to run the Squeeze Server software on the Pandora itself. It's low power, has no moving parts, and can access a library on a USB drive or a NAS over wifi. On the Slimdevices forums, someone posted a guide to installing Squeeze Server on a SheevaPlug running Debian, and it ran surprisingly well.

cobaltage said:
I'm reviving this old topic because it just occurred to me that it might be possible and desirable to run the Squeeze Server software on the Pandora itself. It's low power, has no moving parts, and can access a library on a USB drive or a NAS over wifi. On the Slimdevices forums, someone posted a guide to installing Squeeze Server on a SheevaPlug running Debian, and it ran surprisingly well.

This would be only benificial if you already have a squeezebox. Or if you really like the slimserver software. I for one would probably just use any mediaplayer to play music from my NAS over wifi and connect my pandora to my stereo set. In this way it functions more or less like a squeezebox.

And if I am correct you need a frontend for the serversoftware so then you also have to port the virtual squeezebox and I dont think that will add to the performance.

Bosbeetle said:
This would be only benificial if you already have a squeezebox. Or if you really like the slimserver software. I for one would probably just use any mediaplayer to play music from my NAS over wifi and connect my pandora to my stereo set. In this way it functions more or less like a squeezebox.

And if I am correct you need a frontend for the serversoftware so then you also have to port the virtual squeezebox and I dont think that will add to the performance.

In my case, I have a few Squeezeboxes, but my ReadyNAS NV, which was running Squeeze Server, died on me. It had its own build of the server software, but despite that, it was pretty slow on the server side -- basically, in order to make it usable, several features were disabled, like album art, etc. The ReadyNAS NV probably just needs a new PSU, but I've still been interested in a low power consumption device to run Squeeze Server, while I would host the files on the ReadyNAS NV. Since the equipment failure, I've just been using the Squeezeboxes for internet radio.

The Squeeze Server software is, however, compatible with other media streaming devices, like the Roku Soundbridge. It's open source and free, and supports FLAC files. I think a fair number of Roku Soundbridge owners have been using it with Squeeze Server.

I'm not sure what would happen if you set up a single device to both run the server software and to receive a music stream.

Back