Squidgesnes 0.38

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
Wanted to take a break from PicoDrive, so I took a look at SquidgeSNES code, because I do occasional SNES gaming. I don't like using scripts, so first I added performance options to the menus. I don't like scaled display, so I keep it off, but then there are problems with PAL games like Mario, they were just incorrectly centered, so I fixed that.

The strangest thing in the code was that the sprites were being drawn in wrong order (IMO), so I changed that. This seems to fix several games, but does it break anything? I want YOU to go and find out. :D

So now I'm going to try walking through the code and do some refactoring. Every time I make something noticeable I'm going to post an update. It is up to you to find as many bugs as possible. I want them to be constructive, not something like "BUG: second core is not used, go and make use of it". SNES is much more complex system and I am not familiar with the code and how it works, so I can't go directly to that. It might be not worth the effort to move code to second core at all. So please be patient, currently I am quite motivated to work on this.

changelog:
  • Reversed sprite drawing order. This is better at least in a few games.
  • Pal games are now properly centered when scaler is disabled.
  • Pressing left or right in ROM selector menu now does the same as shoulder buttons.
  • Added CPU clock control, RAM timing and gamma options to the menu for conveniance.
List of things which need fixing:
major problems / need lots of work:
  • Transparencies are not supported
  • Performance should be better
TODO / problems to fix:
  • [improved?] Sprite priorities
  • Rewrite sound outputing code
  • Integrate the SPC700 asm core
  • add another faster shortcut (L+R+Start) for menu
  • The "Vol Min" or "Vol Max" text comes up in the middle of the screen out of nowhere and annoys people
  • In some games the picture is not center
  • Frameskip seems to be set at auto no matter what you choose.
  • ROMs do not start from command line
  • CPU speed would better be choosable in increments of 5
  • Tecmo Super Bowl III: helmets when selecting a team are all red
  • Megaman 7: messy after the intro, the graphics become garbled [it's custom chip emulation broken?]
  • Equinox: sprite layers slightly wrong. Your character sometimes appears in front of objects when he is really behind them.
  • Mario Kart map screen: sprite priority problems
  • Gradius 3 US: when you're trying to select a type for your ship, the other types are invisible instead of grayed out until you highlight them.
  • Crono Trigger: sometimes after a fight, the sprites gets alot of random sprites around them
  • Super Metroid 2nd level, after Cirrus Station: just keep going down the level and you'll eventually hit a section that is completely black
  • Yoshi's Island: needs SuperFX emulation, which is now broken
  • Super mario RPG: needs SA-1 emulation, which is now broken
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2: needs S-DD1 emulation, which is now broken
Latest version is 0.38:
download here

Last edited by a moderator:
notaz, could you be the snes savior that the gp2x needs!! I hope so!

Keep at it, you've very talented and I'm confident that it will soon be fullspeed :)

Will try as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for all your work ...

Can't wait for transparencies! It's already fast at 200Mhz (tested with Donkey Kong Country)

I'm impressed. I didn't think Super Nintendo run so well on GP2X (i think i tried an old version) :blink: .

I have tried the emulator at 280 MHz with RAM tweaks. I have also changed the file skins/gamebackground.bmp with a completely black bitmap because i don't like the borders of the menu during gameplay.

I'm seeing bad ??? or all games i have tested runs at 60fps :eek: . I have tested about 20 different games perfectly, without graphics glitches (only some slowdowns in Axelay) and with some sound glitches in some games.

I'm impressed. I was planned to begin something with an old Snes9x version (1.19a from 1999 year) but i think i will not spend time on this. I think it is already running great.

Waiting for your next revisions impatient and anxious :lol: .

notaz is incredible

Personally, the most annoying bug is the one where you are playing and out of nowhere the "Vol Min" or "Vol Max" text comes up in the middle of the screen. This seeming happens randomly, when you aren't adjusting the volume. The text will remain on the screen until you mess with the volume. I find that lowering the volume to the minimum and then raising it will always get rid of the text. I hate this bug more than anything, as it is VERY disturbing .

Thank you notaz, this gives me an excuse to play some games this week for bugtesting :)

Now we just need to organize donations for you to get your breakout board, etc.

johnz1 posted on Oct 17 2006 at 10:47 AM said:
notaz is incredible

Personally, the most annoying bug is the one where you are playing and out of nowhere the "Vol Min" or "Vol Max" text comes up in the middle of the screen. This seeming happens randomly, when you aren't adjusting the volume. The text will remain on the screen until you mess with the volume. I find that lowering the volume to the minimum and then raising it will always get rid of the text. I hate this bug more than anything, as it is VERY disturbing .

This too is my mortal enemy.

Wow!!!

Super mario kart near flawless with sound.
I used ram settings
266mhz
fs1 (probably didn't even need)
with sound on.

Shadows continuously flash (usually only floating characters have shadows, like the flag holder at the start of race).

Keep up the amazing work!

icurafu posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:20 AM said:
notaz is incredible

Thirded.

Draco posted on Oct 16 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
icurafu posted on Oct 17 2006 at 01:20 AM said:
notaz is incredible

Thirded.
completely forgot to mention it. Fourthed.

Back