Star Citizen's GPU melting visuals

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've a pretty decent gaming rig, but if this is really 100% in-engine as claimed I'll not just be needing a GPU upgrade..

https://www.youtube.com/embed/g0gZES2pTWk?feature=oembed

"It's rendered 100 per cent in-engine in real-time at 4K resolution. We scale everything for the super high resolutions that will be the basis of tomorrow's gaming experience; our assets are designed with high polycounts instead of having details baked into their textures"

better start saving then..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sad I can't play the demos they keep releasing. I don't have a copy of anything past XP that I can install on my desktop.

If the Linux release isn't forthcoming shortly after the Windows release I'm going to need to correct that and actually give money to Microsoft. Fortunately I have a year at least before that becomes an issue.

Does look very nice, can imagine how awesome it must look on a 4K telly .... one day perhaps

better start saving then..
nah you can just adjust the settings back to "wireframe mode"   :)

Seriously though, rendering space (stars on black with a few rocks about and the occasional chunky spaceship) ...

it's got to be easier than rendering cities forests and people.  Is the video really that mind blowing?

*Am so ready for this*

When it launches, I'll wait a day or two to settle down; then I'm taking a week off and putting this kids in daycare :p

jeff

It's no surprise that it looks so nice, because they don't seem to work on an actual game, but rather on a series of commercials for the next game expo (and the next, and the next...) to gather even more fame and funding  for Chris Roberts' overblown ambition.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/14695-Star-Citizen-Controversy-Reaches-a-Boiling-Point
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/14727-The-Escapist-Explains-Its-Star-Citizen-Sources-Vetting-and-Respo?utm_source=latest&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

My hopes aren't high on this one.

Yeah, the way these updates have gone has actually killed my interest in this game, rather than kindle it.  If I'd known they were going to feature creep and blow the whole thing up like this three years ago I wouldn't have bothered.

I hope you're joking. If EA really does get involved I will be filing for a refund ASAP.

Does EA ever not get involved? Does it fail to put out mediocre results, of the franchises it decides not to kill, on a yearly basis?

As long as we wait that hasn't happened yet.

On a serious note, I imagine putting out a result, and putting out the result is the decider in this matter for a lot of minds.

If i remember correctly, the campaign harvested enough funds to put that treshold into the realm of wishful feasibility.

without textures it almost looks worse than some lower-poly, better textured games.  but the models certainly look smooth ;).

however, there are two worse sins.

• the pursuer is a very bad shot.  how can you drum up any real suspense with that?
  • there is no sound in space.  (anything you'd hear would have to physically hit your spacecraft, which would be something like debris or shrapnel, which would probably not be the best for you.  you could also hear your weapons discharge, if the apparatus to shoot them made a lot of noise/vibration on your own craft.)

without textures it almost looks worse than some lower-poly, better textured games.  but the models certainly look smooth ;).

• the pursuer is a very bad shot.  how can you drum up any real suspense with that?
  • there is no sound in space.  (anything you'd hear would have to physically hit your spacecraft, which would be something like debris or shrapnel, which would probably not be the best for you.  you could also hear your weapons discharge, if the apparatus to shoot them made a lot of noise/vibration on your own craft.)

The sound one is easily explained. There must be a galactic treaty to reserve a band of radio spectrum for special effects. Weapon manufacturers make their guns broadcast pew pew sounds on this frequency and during combat each ship is obligated to play those back on their bridge sound systems and fighter pilot headphones. This also explains why very similar things produce very different sounds at times and why the sounds don't seem to suffer from doppler effects and such.

The sound one is easily explained. There must be a galactic treaty to reserve a band of radio spectrum for special effects. Weapon manufacturers make their guns broadcast pew pew sounds on this frequency and during combat each ship is obligated to play those back on their bridge sound systems and fighter pilot headphones. This also explains why very similar things produce very different sounds at times and why the sounds don't seem to suffer from doppler effects and such.
This is also how it is handled in many tv shows and movies (they just don't waste time explaining everything).  It is primarily a safety decision since you wouldn't want to have someone working on your weapons while they are in use.  It would suck to be the person out there trying to scrape space barnacles or something and then you cease to exist.  Also, I think someone said it wasn't fair that they could never tell when they were taking fire from another ship or just had an idiot/kid driving.

I hope if its in space, and manual labour maintenance is carried out on equipment, that everything sort of follows this level of advancement.

One problem i thought about was if you lose power on your ship there is no non-mechanical audio?

To me it seems more rational to track projectiles with laser, and then play it back in a directional way.

Both kinda give away the position of whoever fired right away, but i imagine its never problematic.
The will to fire or buy weapons lhowever ikens itself to want to cheat with the audio-transmit, which if its just radiowaves, is quite easy.

Back