Starting a preliminary GINGE compatibility spreadsheet

Hooka

That Guy!
Website
Visit site
Hey guys, I went through my GP2X and Wiz SD's and tested to see what programs ran in GINGE (Note: some of these were just quick load tests, others I forgot I was testing and played for a couple hours), so I just went into the directories and did a quick dir /b to get just the names of the folders (so not actual game names yet, but intend to replace dir names with real names), I left an area for the links but have added none yet. If there were working versions for both Wiz and GP2X I always kept just the gp2x version. Also note that I have locked the top row, so if you want me to add a column or feel I'm missing something could do something better please let me know!

https://docs.google....eFRpQXpSU0N5ZXc

A giant thanks to Notaz for doing the most awesome thing ever and giving me a reason to create this, I can't explain how much this rules... although compatibility isn't perfect it's damn high and the only real thing missing is touchscreen support! (I'm sure from his point of view there might be more...)

If you ever want to do something similar for GP32 (I know, doesn't run linux, but I was meaning a simulator/emulator/whatever kinda awesome codebaggery you can think of) I will, well I don't know what I'd do... but I'd sure help in any ways necessary!

I do intend to add to the list all the non-working stuff as well, just figured this would be a quick and easy way to get a basic outline of what other stuff is available for people to play on their Wiz, Caanoo and Pandora's!

Once again, anybody who is willing to help, I'd be grateful, I don't have many emulators installed on my SD's so it's kinda lacking in that department...

*Also, please turn a blind eye if I accidentally let something slip (unreleased games or unavailable things, you can ask but *shifty eyes* I probably will ignore you...) or I mention commercial games like blazar, quartz 2, etc. Infact I was able to enter the registration code in Quartz 2 on the Wiz, didn't ever try on Pandora or Caanoo though...)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ever want to do something similar for GP32 (I know, doesn't run linux, but I was meaning a simulator/emulator/whatever kinda awesome codebaggery you can think of) I will, well I don't know what I'd do... but I'd sure help in any ways necessary!
What GP32 software would you run on that, out of interest? The problem with commercial stuff is that it's encrypted, but I could run the menu to do the decryption I guess.

March of the Minis Tux doesn't work

DROD AE (Deadly Rooms of Death Architect's Edition) doesn't work

SQRXZ doesn't work

Cave Story works

Notaz: Well, I do have a fondness for a few of the commercial games, but even more so for some of the homebrew that never made its way onto any of the newer systems such as bolcataxian, numo, qwarage, arcano, bolcatoid, bob the amazing lemon, bobtron, drunken arcade master, drunken frogger, happy giant, kamikaze, lacuna!!!, mafi sushi panic, stairway to heaven, insane nights, KOF91, camaleon, crocodingus, lily, super plusha, tanda in bamboo madness, atomic, dozens of puzzle games (cubex for sure...), giro, gpwar and even some stuff I can't list cause it never got officially released ;)

As far as the encryption goes, I might have to dig in again to figure stuff out again, but I did crack a couple of the SMC encrypted games I bought so I had a backup and could put them on different SMC's. I also have the IIC (or IIS or whatever, the gpid) dump I created so that I could push it into my new GP32 when mine broke and I had to send it back... didn't wanna lose all those fungp games now did I ;

So yeah depending on how you wanted to approach it, either cracked games would be needed or a way for people to get their smcid/gpid from the commercial games (joygp games typically used gpid and games that came on smc used the smc id). Although I guess between darkfader, spiv and firefly all the tools needed for doing that kinda stuff are already available even the ones to make smc images, just can't remember off the top of my head how I managed to put the smc id into the smc image..

unencrypted ones would just need to use something like pacrom or one of the other file launchers (I think slubman's launcher could launch unencrypted .gxb's from the game directory which is what my cracks are... didn't like being turned to .fxe's or put into the gpmm dir...)

I guess some people might even like being able to use some emus like xroar or apps like !reader, which was a really good autoscrolling text reader with a plethora of options and features...

Also, notaz: Would you like for us to keep track of the ginge version used and platform played on? I didn't notice any difference between caanoo and pandora as far as compatibility went, but I did notice that caanoo and wiz differed (might've been an older version of ginge I was using on wiz, now it's borked so I'm unable to test on wiz anymore...)

Everyone else: please note this is caanoo + pandora centric so far, please let me know if you notice any differences or want me to add the ability to keep track of what version...

Edit: Also sorry about the spammy posts... just didn't want everything to get buried inside each other like nesting dolls...

It's different for Wiz because it's running OABI natively, while Caanoo/Pandora use EABI userspace + OABI compat. It should be possible to work around those differences though.

So it's really just 2 games not working? I expected there to be more there.

What would benefit from touchscreen most? I did not bother implementing it as it looked like it's not really needed.

Heh, no I just started the list using what I had in my ginge folder (I had already gone through a few months back and tried every piece of GP2X and wiz software I had, then removed all the doubles from the wiz folder and anything that had been ported to pandora natively). Didn't think to keep track of the non-working back then, now I'm kicking myself in the ass for it :p

Touchscreen-wise: Animatch, banggp, boomshine, 2xwargus, space varments and any of the drawing programs... I'll admit it wouldn't be too much, but still would be nice :)

P.S. I noticed as of late that although some software works with the way you handle the d-pad on GP2X, some is expecting it to register the diagonals as a completely different button rather than say up and left together...

It's different for Wiz because it's running OABI natively, while Caanoo/Pandora use EABI userspace + OABI compat. It should be possible to work around those differences though.

So it's really just 2 games not working? I expected there to be more there.

What would benefit from touchscreen most? I did not bother implementing it as it looked like it's not really needed.
Animatch maybe? Had Touchscreen Support implemented in later releases but I only played it with normal controls on GP2X because the old FX100 had no Touchscreen. ^^ I hoped to play it over Ginge with Touchscreen (should be much better and faster in gameplay) but it wasn't working oviously. :D

http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,25,2725

One of the GP2X games I've played alot and it really could need a native Pandora Port. ^^

Fusion_Power: I always find myself switching between touchscreen and controls on GP2X-F200 and Wiz, just depended on what I felt like at that moment :p The ability to just point and move was beautiful though, not spamming buttons freaking out about the timer running out :p

Also notable: Nothing using python works as far as I can tell...

I was not bad in Animatch but indeed, it costs alot of time to navigate the cursor with the D-Pad in position. ^^ So I really missed touchscreen controlls every time I've played. I imagine former unreached new highscores with touchscreen controlls! :D

Notaz, if you're going to update Ginge, may i ask you to make it run on Slackware plz ?

Well I think we've got a much better cross section of software to compare, didn't really do too many emulators, interpreters (doom, etc.) or apps, but as far as games are concerned the biggest problem children seem to be bennuGD, Python and GLBasic...

Another thing to note, with some software it seems it's actually running just has a black layer overtop (or maybe has it's video output at a different location in memory).

Wiz only has problems exiting from one single program outta everything I tested, Powermanga... I had to Pandora reset for it, where the GP2X software was more prone to freezing up the whole system in general... but the wiz compatibility was considerably less, 210 working vs 135 non-working for GP2X and 98 working vs 143 non-working on the wiz...

The resolution issue with GP2X is quite apparent, if the dev didn't use 320x240 you typically get 1/4 screen for 640x480. I'd assume something to do with paeryn's SDL...

Another thing that really grabbed me was stuff like frozen bubble and Ztunnel... I know it's supposed to be moving around in a semi circle, but instead it sees all the moves as existing on a diagonal line only changing velocity.

touchscreen is required for only about 10 programs across the 2 platforms and supported by less than 50 in total it seems, some of which aren't working anyways...

Finally I'll rehash the GP2X missing diagonals and buttons, just for posterity... although most software supports handling the ordinals both ways, some don't and center click and volume buttons actually do get used from time to time.

*ALSO* Please note, this is not meant as a whine, whine, bitch, bitch fix this shit kinda post... instead I'm just letting you know what the outstanding issues I can see are and what you choose to do with that information is your business! I just figured that seeing as the information is there and fresh in my mind I'd get it written down that way if you were looking for it you don't have to sort through ~600 entries in a stupid table :p It's a beautiful piece of software already and I'm blown away by the sheer amount of time and energy you must've put into it!

Now to slowly put the proper full names and add links :p *runs away*

Edit: Please not this is still not everything, I just can't seem to find one of my GP2X SD's and haven't looked through to find out what I removed from my Wiz when I got my caanoo and pandora :p

Another quick addition to the above info, allegro seems to be a high risk offender also ;)

Touchscreen-wise: Animatch, banggp, boomshine, 2xwargus, space varments and any of the drawing programs... I'll admit it wouldn't be too much, but still would be nice :)

I would absolutely love to play Animatch and Space Varments with touch screen on my pandora!

On that note, is there no Fenix port for pandora? I thought all Ruckage games were made with Fenix. Isn't it possible to have them run without GINGE?

Thanks for the list, Hooka. I hope it doesn't disappear over time or somebody doesn't trash it (like it happened with PCSX-ReARMed list), I won't be able to look at this for at least a few months from now.

Back