Starting Homebrew Development.

TrevorBradley

Hey there, I'm thinking of getting a head start on developing some homebrew for the Pandora (and perhaps for Linux in general) and had a few questions.

One of my strong interests in Pandora is the wireless networking. In theory two or more Pandora users will be able to play with each other by connecting to a central game server. I've not heard too much talk of this hrtr but am keen on developing network multiplayer games.

I've done a bit of playing around with Fenix on the GP2X, which was a lot of fun but at times rather restrictive. I have a good amount of coding experience, but not in C or Python. (Though I learn fast!)

I'm guessing SDL would be a safe bet for development on the Pandora, not only for games but also for networking. The skills I learn would be more portable in the future for other projects.

I did some general searching around (these forums, gp2x wiki etc) and I'm moderately convinced this is the direction I want to go. I'm wondering if anyone can give pointers, perhaps to previous posts, relevant links for starting SDL development, as well as reference sites for SDL coding. Is there anything critical I should know about developing in SDL on Linux so that a later port to Pandora (or even GP2X) will be hassle-lite?

Thanks in advance for your time...

Squidge said:
Start coding on the GP2X, then you can easily make Pandora apps when it is available.

For info on SDL and developing, try the GP2X Wiki: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/SDL

People seem to like Code::Blocks too as a programming IDE - http://www.codeblocks.org/

Coding for my GP2x is probably a good start, but I'm still keen on network play. I remember doing network code in C back in 3rd year Comp Sci (um.. 1994, yikes!... it wasn't pretty...

Maybe I should get myself a cradle...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a turn based game running and I've got two options right now:
1 - send the keystrokes so player 1 can what see what player 2 is doing in real-ish time.
2 - send the result of 1's turn and replay it on 2's machine.

My gut is telling me 1 is better but 2 is easier....

Back