Beta Stella

lomaxx

Here is a betaversion of stella_3.2.2. It's a PND, but i tarballed it anyway, because i wanted to release it with the readme.txt included.

This is the newest version of stella which offers better sound-emulation (e.g. Pitfall2 music is better now), a new rom-picker and (for me) most important of all accepts commandline-parameters, which let's us launch specific roms from a script.

Unfortunately there is an issue: PAL-games do not run. So far i have no clue how to fix it as my capabilities of porting are more or less limited to sorting out issues of missing libraries while compiling. Bummer.

Thanks Lomaxx, I'm gonna try this one right now. Better sound is always good.

I'm sure one of our great community programmers can help out with that pal issue, don't worry about it.

Chris

Cool thanks, the other ports of Stella did have rather poor sound. I remember cringing on a few games.

Speaking of sound If anyone wants to try their hand at a good Coleco emu that would be welcome too. The current one from ZX has a great menu but the sound is really off. It is much too high pitched and the white noise channel isn't working right.

^
Still curious as to why my MAME4ALL sounded better than yours?

You sure you have a solid sound chip/unit/SD cards?
Just asking because you are always jumping on sound quality and I truthfully think you might be tripping on some stuff in MAME. I'm not doubting you, just hardware.

I have no frame of reference anymore as my Panda is in the shop for new LCD.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

DaveC said:
Cool thanks, the other ports of Stella did have rather poor sound. I remember cringing on a few games.

Speaking of sound If anyone wants to try their hand at a good Coleco emu that would be welcome too. The current one from ZX has a great menu but the sound is really off. It is much too high pitched and the white noise channel isn't working right.

Have you tried this one ?
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/public/pandora/colem/pandora-colem-v1.1.1.pnd

Last edited by a moderator:
Mjlink said:
^
Still curious as to why my MAME4ALL sounded better than yours?

You sure you have a solid sound chip/unit/SD cards?
Just asking because you are always jumping on sound quality and I truthfully think you might be tripping on some stuff in MAME. I'm not doubting you, just hardware.

I have no frame of reference anymore as my Panda is in the shop for new LCD.

Peace & Pandora,

Link
All MAME versions sound the same. Even Steve M acknowledges that there is a problem. It could be that you just don't notice or the games you play work ok. Not all games have the popping glitch.

ZX:
yes I have tried the latest one. It seems slightly better but still isn't right. A good test game is Space Panic. If you compare the sounds in that with real hardware or another emu it is pretty far off. Games that combine sound channels to make a certain sound show it pretty well. The original Colem may be off too, I would have to test the PC version to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back