Still use your gp32? Gp2x? Wiz? Caanop? (Zodiac...)

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
hey guys, been awhile ;)

Suddenly fealing the urge for old Blacks gpengine tg16 emu on gp32, or hit up mame4all on the wiz (small but bright screen!)

Its Good Friday; i'm heading out to be surrounded by a mob of little kids and thought.. Damnit, I need to take Wiz or Caanoo! They're smaller than the a pandora and fit in pocket leas noticably, and I don't mind if the kids beat on 'em. Haven't fired them up in awhile..

Gp32 just eats its mmc cards, so not been anle to use it in ages.. Sort of afraid to put Lil wiz or Kimchi Man in and have them murdered :/

Gp2x sd card got repurposed but I think I backed it up somewhere.. Need to find. Now wherr is the later model white one.. Hmm

SD for wiz and caanoo was for both and seapped back and forth but despite being ext2fs and clean, neither see it. Damnit :)

I think when I get a moment of free time 1am tonight or tomorrow I'll sort all this out

Anyone else digging these old puppies out?

(Caanoo is what, 2010? Wiz 2008-9; gp2x itself not sure .. So many sub models too but the original gp2x was what 2003? The gp32 .. 2000 or so? Daaamn we all been hanging around a long time now!)

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
There found my f200 gp2x..

You know, memory is getting old.. I forget what the dir structures looked like to ide tify whicch sd cards go to which anymore..

Nostalgia binge time!

Thanks ED for keeping dl.openhandhelds up :)

I would be using my gp2x (F100) if I hadn't first broken the stick on it, and then completely botched my job of trying to install a D-pad instead. The parts of it is still lying in a box amongst "unfinished projects", waiting for me to actually try to salvage the parts and rebuild it.

I have a Caanoo around to play Picodrive and Sphinx's ports of his GP2X games. My older Gameparks are stashed away safely to one day be picked up and developed for again (I have devkitARM and Open2X SDK backups!) Most of my favorite games are low-res 320x240, and despite Pandora's excellent controls and performance they do look their best on a native QVGA screen :) I still think GPDoom on the GP32 is the best handheld Doom port, everything just works so well especially the controls.

I should set up Ginge and visit OpenHandhelds.org :)

PS: GP2X came out 10 years ago, in 2005!

All i recall isnthe gp32 FLU was special since being one of the first really accessible/hackable devices.. But was basicly crap. Then all the drama as blu and blu+ came along.. But still loved my damned flu :)

Gp2x f100 had the goofy stixk and screen but was pretty awesome; the f200 had a better screen but the odd dpad-thing; I liked wiz due to the bright if small screen and pretty good dpad thing, but too small maybe? Pocketable though. Caanoo Inactually really liked the controversial controls, and good screen. So I'm thinking I shoukd revive the caanoo .. Fairly powerful and recent an good app selection, and ginge iirc.

But i thik i need ti dust off all of them now for lulz :)

Got the wiz charging now..

I've got VMs saved up with all my toolchains I think.. Should still be able to build all the way back, maybe not gp32; though Inthink my PsP toolchain VM blew up so its possile they're all dead from so long ago.. Hmf. There was a time I could kick off like 9 or 10 or more platforms with one make.. Psp, gp32, gp2x, wiz, caanoo, win32, osx, linux, pandora, palm os, pocket pc

Battlejewels, CaSTaway.. Ahh been too long

Qvga on BLU was hotness :)

Hi guys :)

I joined the gp32x.de community with the GP2X F100 in what, 2007 maybe ? I gave it to a friend when I switched to the F200. Then I gave my F200 to my girlfriend when I switched to the Pandora :) AFAIK, both models are still in working condition. I never got really interested in the other GPH handhelds, but I'm still playing GP2X games through GINGE on Pandora !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Yep, i still use the Wiz from time to time, I just love the screen and sometimes I play some neogeo or 7days on the Dingoo..

I still have my gp32, but the SMC is broken I think.

Also the FLU is broken, don't see a lot on the screen.

Had a lot of fun with it though.

I would still use my caanoo if the analog stick didn't break. Still haven't gotten a decent replacement for it. Tried a g5a but it's not as comfortable despite having handles. The gcw zero has a nice form factor but it's too expensive for something that can't do much more than my old caanoo which was able to pay 2d psx games with pcsx rearmed. I'm hopeful that the upcoming gpd clamshell is halfway decent though

I bring it out every now and then. Specially on long travels.

Here is a game I have been doing for ages which is somewhat 99% done ;P

20140418_170155.jpg

One I remade from a game I did back in the coco II days.

Hopefully I can get it done this year, it should also work on the Pandora.

Better concrete info when it is very close to done.

Endings are still missing ;)

I don't have the time like I used to - for playing or developing, but I did create a version of 2048 late last year for Caanoo etc. that I need to put out there.

I have a real soft spot for the Caanoo, GP2X and Wiz, so I'll never abandon them completely.

The biggest problem for me is to announce new release for gp2x, wiz and caanoo, because gp32x is dead. :\

The biggest problem for me is to announce new release for gp2x, wiz and caanoo, because gp32x is dead. :\
But www.gp32x.de isn't, thanks to ED  ;) :D

Or do you mean the forum is dead, rather than the site? If so, yeah. Pretty much :(

Its a shame gp32x.de is dead, and Dead. That was a great home away from home for a lot of years, and theres so much coding/hacking/demo'ing history there for these obscure platforms of ours :) A lot of good information that would otherwise be lost, is kept alive thanks to ED! (all those downloads in archive.openhandhelds or dl.openhandhelds, and the forum with all the help and configuration tips, faq, etc.) But a shame that community is 'dead' - it moved here really, but a lot have been left behind or lost entirely.

It was good while it lasted, and thankfully has kept on in spirit here!

jeff

Still use my FLU for gpRogue - still works better than any version on the Pandora...

My gp2x just gathers dust - battery life is rubbish since a capacitor fell out. I would probably still play SqDef on it though - loved that game.  What happened to Alex?

Back