Beta Stratagus (Wargus)

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
pickle.gp2x.de/stratagus.zip
(binary only, not in pnd form yet)

this is only for those that know what they are doing or can figure out what they are doing ;-) I dont want to spend time yet troubleshooting users that have never used this before.
i was able to get something from wargus running (had some issues with some parts)

for wargus i did the following
1. get the wargus source package
2. build it
3. get your cd and run the build.sh
4. copy the scripts and stuff from the wargus folder too if needed
5. run on the pandora as ./stratagus -v 1

if someone who knows the ends and outs about this chime in, i basically went by the wargus readme and got it to sort of work.

pickle -- before we embark on pulling data from WC2 etc .. how well does it play offhand? good enough for a video? ;)

If its actually playable, I'll try and set it up tomorrow night .. got an hour to myself maybe, if lucky :)

(2 weeks down in my month-of-no-time; best month ever, mind you :)

jeff

skeezix said:
pickle -- before we embark on pulling data from WC2 etc .. how well does it play offhand? good enough for a video? ;)

If its actually playable, I'll try and set it up tomorrow night .. got an hour to myself maybe, if lucky :)

(2 weeks down in my month-of-no-time; best month ever, mind you :)

jeff

perfect so far

Last edited by a moderator:
wow :)

All touchscreen, or did you add d-pad to scroll the playfield or anything?

damn you, now I'll have to look (but I did locate and keep my original WC2 CDs around for just this purpose :)

jeff

Onto the GP2X I was able to make Wargus run...however I did that, can't remember. :D I just know you even had to resize all graphics which is not needed for the Pandora Port.
So is this the same version of Wargus like the one from GP2X? I just ask because there were HORRIBLE bugs into the Game, stupid AI (especialy in Multiplyer vs. CPU), Save-issues and often impossible missions...you discover this during playing a while. Like often, nobody fixed this so it was actualy not very playable onto the GP2X. I hope the coders take more time for the Pandora Port to polish all this stuff. :)

skeezix : touchscreen, mouse nub, dpad moving the view all worked out of the box

fusion_power said:
Onto the GP2X I was able to make Wargus run...however I did that, can't remember. :D I just know you even had to resize all graphics which is not needed for the Pandora Port.
So is this the same version of Wargus like the one from GP2X? I just ask because there were HORRIBLE bugs into the Game, stupid AI (especialy in Multiplyer vs. CPU), Save-issues and often impossible missions...you discover this during playing a while. Like often, nobody fixed this so it was actualy not very playable onto the GP2X. I hope the coders take more time for the Pandora Port to polish all this stuff. :)

I dont remember what the gp2x used but, i used the latest versions i could get: stratagus/wargus version 2.2.4
The issues your talking about, probably are very easy to fix (i.e AI), especially given none of has written it or looked at it before.

Pickle said:
skeezix : touchscreen, mouse nub, dpad moving the view all worked out of the box

fusion_power said:

I dont remember what the gp2x used but, i used the latest versions i could get: stratagus/wargus version 2.2.4
The issues your talking about, probably are very easy to fix (i.e AI), especially given none of has written it or looked at it before.

Pickle, any chance you could get us a FreeRA port? o_ô

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Pickle, any chance you could get us a FreeRA port? o_ô

Thought i had freecnc working, but the last time i tried it didnt. I dont recall if ive tried freeRA
I have been trying to get openredalert (fork of freera) to work, its getting closer but cant get a map to load yet (behaves the same on the pc)

i think openredalert as itself isn´t really playable yet...
the collectors always forget their tasks and the campaign isn´t implented yet too.

Update your post Pickle :)

The instructions are easy, for Windows folks:

1) Get Windows installer from http://wargus.sourceforge.net/download.shtml

2) Run the installer, it'll ask you to stick your _DOS_ (not battle.net) original CD in the drive, and extract everything for you

3) Copy the whole Windows Wargus directory (1400+ files) to SD card

4) Copy the binary from your pickle.gp2x.de/stratagus.zip ingto the directory

Run!

Problem: the touchscreen is totally out of whack with the cursor after a few seconds (probably the bug where nonstandard cursors (or whatever) cause it.) If can be played with keyboard, would be no problem. (If it is cursor related, could perhaps try to comment out all tjhe bits that set the mouse pointer :)

Seems to run full speed at 500mhz (maybe lower), once we sort out the touchscreen issue :)

jeff

Pickle posted a new build (same URL); works great now! (shoulder buttons act as right-click, touchscreen seems to work.)

jeff

Folks, you here have (more or less) Warcraft 2 on Pandora, full speed :)

Pickle said:

should the point replaced by the name of the sd card?
and there are now two files named with stratagus (one application and the other one windows can not identify)! :unsure:

ZoxFox said:
Pickle said:

should the point replaced by the name of the sd card?
and there are now two files named with stratagus (one application and the other one windows can not identify)! :unsure:

./ is a way of executing applications in the terminal
should have only been 1 file, try using the one that appears correct.

@pickle:

there are shown two executables on the pandora:
- 2mb ("dos/windows executable")
- and the other one with 1,6mb ("executable") size

it makes no diffrent which one of them i delete, pandora can´t find such file or directory.
should be the wargus directory in root?

ZoxFox said:
@Pickle:

there are shown two executables on the pandora:
- 2mb ("dos/windows executable")
- and the other one with 1,6mb ("executable") size

it makes no diffrent which one of them i delete, pandora can´t find such file or directory.
should be the wargus directory in root?

maybe the zip is corrupt trying downloading again
or maybe you need a new way to open zips, ive opened it in 7zip and i only one file. its size is 1,697,581 bytes

and no you shouldnt make a folder on the root for wargus.
just make a folder on your sd card and use a terminal to cd to that folder.

Pickle said:

so in my case: "cd /mmcblk0p1/pandora/wargus" (mmcblk0p1 = name of my sd card on the pandora) and then "./stratagus -v 1" right?

ZoxFox said:
Pickle said:

so in my case: "cd /mmcblk0p1/pandora/wargus" (mmcblk0p1 = name of my sd card on the pandora) and then "./stratagus -v 1" right?

yes, and it should work provided you also put all the data files in /mmcblk0p1/pandora/wargus

Back