Stronger plastic this time?

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
As some of you may remember, my first Pandora had some cracks in the shell that sort of just appeared over time. The second one I got had the same problem in the same locations, except that that one also cracked under mild pressure, resulting in the screen cracking with it (which sucks because they're out of spare displays in the store).

So, my biggest concern for the Pyra is the shell. Is it going to use a stronger material? It's kind of a deal breaker for me at this point.

It's going to be made out of polypropylene, I think it's called. Same stuff CDs and DVDs are made of, and I know you have to bend them nearly in half to break them. Repeated stress also pops them, such as if you bend a CD one way then while having it bent try to bend it back in a direction perpendicular to the initial bend - do that a few times and they'll start to pop.

So, um, don't do that with your Pyra and you should be fine ;)

I think Ed posted a video when he was in Greece where the guys even stand up over the case and all is fine, so I think it will be a very resistant shell this time.

edit: here you go:

You may also check the Pyra news section for more info.

It's made of polycarbonate, the strongest plastic there is.
It's bulletproof with a certain thickness and you should have a hard time even drilling a hole into it :)

Feel free to stomp on your Pyra if you want, as demonsrated in one of the videos when ED visited the case company, but the short answer is "yes".

Just give ouzo and watch Zorba do his job.
04d54950-0136-012e-2e2c-0050569428b1.jpg

Source:http://www.catawiki.nl/catalogus/st...tape/1686507-belgatape-jeromba-de-griek-danst

Last edited:
Depending on the instrument of destruction used, that could require a 50mm thickness (or more, maybe much more) of laminated polycarbonate sheets.

Problem is, its could be tought to test the bullet profness of the Pyra Case in germany due to our weapon laws..
Its not easy to become the right to own a fireweapon hear in this land of goethe and rammstein..
So the only way to test could be, sending a case set to yoerg spràve, better known as the guy behind the "slingshoot Chanell"..
If there is a german, who might be apple to build a legal balistic weapon to harm the Pyra Case, than its might be him :)

I'm in the US. I have direct access to and could perform these tests with a wide variety of calibers and loads. I would just need some Pyra cases to test on.

However, I do not think that is relevant as the Pyra - all layers & PCB are no where near thick enough to stop any of them. It would simply be an exercise in using supersonic projectile launchers to make varying sized holes in plastic - assuming that the plastic does not shatter outright.

I'm in the US. I have direct access to and could perform these tests with a wide variety of calibers and loads. I would just need some Pyra cases to test on.

However, I do not think that is relevant as the Pyra - all layers & PCB are no where near thick enough to stop any of them. It would simply be an exercise in using supersonic projectile launchers to make varying sized holes in plastic - assuming that the plastic does not shatter outright.
Lol. Trust me being in the U.S we already knew that you had access to a wide variety of calibers and loads.:D

Still whats wrong with "an exercise in using supersonic projectile launchers to make varying sized holes in plastic".

I wouldn't recommend doing this to your prototype pyra, however your Pyra just may be more expensive than a high powered rifle...

That is one way of testing a 1300 EUR prototype...

About 18-20 years back I did a similar exercise with a pallet load of IBM PS/2 model 80 tower workstation/servers. I had bought an IBM laser printer (4029) for $100 at an auction that was sitting on a stacked pallet of something wrapped in opaque white plastic sheeting - and found out I'd bought the pallet load too. A printer I wanted and roughly 800 lbs of computers I didn't.

It was an entertaining range day. 4 layers of IBM sheet steel case metal would stop a 9mm. It took 7-8 layers to stop the 45ACP. I wanted to make a 386 CPU with a hole through it, but they simply kept shattering (of course). It was fun. It took considerably longer to clean up the mess than it did to make it. Good times though. Think Office Space only more entertaining.

Back