Stuck Pixels In Horizontal Lines

mralston

Still Fresh
Hi, I posted this question over on Dingoonity as well, but didn't get a definitive response. Just wanted to check, before I go ahead and return my Dingoo:

I received my A320 from DealExtreme the other day, and out of the box it has three horizontal lines of stuck pixels -- one green, one red and one yellow. The red and yellow lines are immediately adjacent to eachother, while the green line is a bit further up. All three lines go right across the display, and I think they're each only 1 pixel tall. I've done a bit of reading and it sounds like this must be a hardware problem, but I thought it would be worth asking, in case there's a fix worth trying myself.

Thanks in advance.

edit: here is a dodgy phone-camera shot of the problem. Bear in mind that the lines appear much thicker and fuzzier in the photo than in reality: they are each actually a single, clearly defined line of pixels (though the red and yellow are adjacent, so they kind of look like a 2-pixel tall orange line).
4173920648fd29944873ojp.png

I think there is some sort of "stuck pixel" utility around somewhere...lemme have a look-see...

YES!!!
Here we are...I knew I'd read something about this...

HARDWARE FACTS AND MODIFICATIONS

If you notice some stuck pixel(s) on your Dingoo, you can try to run the GBA Stuck Pixel Fixer, or the flash movie at Z0r.de. (thread)

Link to Pixel Fixer

Link to the Flash Movie

Try those, first, see if it helps out any, before packing it up and returning it. If these don't work, you ought to be able to get a new one under warranty, if the place you bought it honors their warranty, seeing as you did nothing to the unit.

Now, I'm not entirely sure how you get that movie to run on your Dingoo, as there does not seem an easy way to download it that I can see...BUT, if you are of a programmer's bent, you can right-click on the movie and "Inspect Element" it will give you the source code for that movie, and then you can try running it, by cutting and pasting the code wherever you need it, I suppose.

I'm not much of a programmer, so I couldn't quite tell you how to do it...but perhaps someone else here could expand on that...that is, if the "Stuck Pixel Utility" does not work first.

Now, I notice it says the utility is for a GBA, but it seems it works on the Dingoo, if you run it in the GBA Emulator, of course...and, seeing as it is a Binary file you will download...meaning a .bin file - you simply change the file extension from .bin to .gba and then put it on your Dingoo, and run it in your GBA Emulator.

Thanks for your response, Kalisiin. I had actually already tried the GBA stuck pixel fixer, to no avail. I didn't leave it running for long though, so I'm now trying the flash file you linked, which I'll leave on for a bit longer this time. The more I read the more it sounds like this is almost certainly a hardware problem, but there's no harm in trying. (Especially when the alternative is to post it back to Hong Kong!)

mattr said:
Thanks for your response, Kalisiin. I had actually already tried the GBA stuck pixel fixer, to no avail. I didn't leave it running for long though, so I'm now trying the flash file you linked, which I'll leave on for a bit longer this time. The more I read the more it sounds like this is almost certainly a hardware problem, but there's no harm in trying. (Especially when the alternative is to post it back to Hong Kong!)

Well, let me know if it worked out for you.
I hope so, anyway. If that doesn't do it for you, then I got nothing else other then to pack it up and send it back...hope they honor your warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's stuck pixels but a bad connection in the LCD. Seeing as it was faulty out of the box return it to DX before trying to modify it in any way

Back