'stuff' Arriving In Uk 22Nd March

borgqueenx said:
yes! Finally! now only 2 months remain!

Seriously? im sure something will go wrong again.

But a question: "the parts will arrive". yes, what parts, only the cases? you have everything else already?

Errmm... if we meet up for building those Pandoras shortly after, wouldn't it be a bit dumb if we wouldn't have the rest of the parts handy?

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

But a question: "the parts will arrive". yes, what parts, only the cases? you have everything else already?

Errmm... if we meet up for building those Pandoras shortly after, wouldn't it be a bit dumb if we wouldn't have the rest of the parts handy?
Well Ed, no offense to you, but there are very many assumptions made based on information given, and is often times wrong! Much of the information given by Craig is often times very open ended, and can mean many differant things. At this point it would be "dumb" for anyone here to assume anything! Cheers!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman said:
EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

Well Ed, no offense to you, but there are very many assumptions made based on information given, and is often times wrong! Much of the information given by Craig is often times very open ended, and can mean many differant things. At this point it would be "dumb" for anyone here to assume anything! Cheers!

There have also been numerous steps in the past where the armchair project managers have thought it would be "a bit dumb" if OpenPandora hadn't already done X, yet OpenPandora hadn't already done X. Assumptions are evil - and not in a good way. ED has, however, previously said that all the parts are expected to be on side by the 22md. While that leaves some room for interpretation (all parts, or only all parts for the next 3895 Pandoras?) the important stuff (IMHO) has been covered - all first batch parts are SUPPOSED to be there by then. Fingers crossed :)

EvilDragon said:
borgqueenx said:

Don't forget to buy gloves for the Manufacturers, Finger-Print collections onto the Display are not nice. ;)
Even in the Automobile-Industry the wear gloves during the production, at least I've seen this here in germany.

meltingice said:
craigix said:
The whole team is tired of these posts by armchair project managers.

If you want to lecture us in making a handheld please put your cards on the table and let us know of your own amazing inventions which you have brought to market before getting all high and mighty here.

You might also want to consider some of the consoles which never made it to market even with TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS of investment, yet here we are managing on a tiny budget with no debts.
+1

Its really really annoying to hear so many people bitch and moan about the project when its operating under such extraordinary circumstances. Its the exact same concept as a backseat driver and I think I speak for most of us that we all hate backseat drivers. The fact that the project has gotten this far despite all the setbacks makes me happy and confident that the little machine I bought will be arriving (whenever that may be) crafted with love and care.

Surely anyone who just wanted to order some gadget or other should have bought a product that was already for sale. I would like to think that those of us who pre-ordered a device that wasn't even close to production knew that we were taking some risk and helping to fund a fantastic little project. The risk we took, and the 'stress' so many seem to have suffered during the wait is insignificant compared to the risk and the stress that Craig and the others must face daily.

I do understand why so many people post opinions, and I think this certainly passes the time :)
but can you imagine that no matter how disappointed we all must feel that there are delays down every step of this road, the team must feel it 4000 times greater than we do.

I hope that I get a Pandora, and that it exceeds all my expectations, but above all, if they manage to pull this off I hope that the community can recognise, appreciate, and praise all those individuals who have put so much time and effort into making this a reality.

Once the Pandora first batch is released everything will be great, until people start getting in line for batch two and even with many of the delays behind us at that point there'll be numerous newbies hopping on board and finding new reasons to complain. We should just be ready for that now and get it out of the way.

benji_stein said:
@craigix
My question: I thought we had an arrangement with the case company to send out the first 1000 cases when they were ready:
http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=154
Therefore, to be on the safe side, they will probably do 1000 cases and ship them to the assembly factory.
Why are they not still doing this? The "assembly factory" is just now near Craig, instead of Texas. As the post says:
Assembling and testing will take a while anyways, there will not be much time between the time when the first 1000 are finished and the next cases will be ready to ship.
So it seems like if we could send 1000 cases to arrive the week before March 22nd, assembly could already be well underway (~1000, even), by the time the remaining ones have arrived. You just need to get the first 1000 boards/screens from Texas by then (those are already all done, right?), which shouldn't be a problem since that shipping is usually faster than the shipping from China.

Note that I don't mean this as an attack or disagreement in any way; I'm just wondering why we think it's suddenly OK for them to renege on yet another one of the mould company's promises.

Still unclear on this. It's been asked a bunch, but no response. Or do we just chalk it up to the same "the factory lied to us" just like with the "oh, yeah, we do silkscreening here" ... "And by here, we mean at another location."?

daveski said:
Surely anyone who just wanted to order some gadget or other should have bought a product that was already for sale. I would like to think that those of us who pre-ordered a device that wasn't even close to production knew that we were taking some risk and helping to fund a fantastic little project.

What do you mean the device wasn't close to production? When I made my pre-order the device was only 2 months away. That was 16 months ago.

Pleng said:
daveski said:
Surely anyone who just wanted to order some gadget or other should have bought a product that was already for sale. I would like to think that those of us who pre-ordered a device that wasn't even close to production knew that we were taking some risk and helping to fund a fantastic little project.

What do you mean the device wasn't close to production? When I made my pre-order the device was only 2 months away. That was 16 months ago.

craig once wrote:

Craigix said:
The preorder date for the Pandora is the 30th of September, the Pandora will start shipping
at the end of November.

You can be sure we will look after all you preorder people in the best possible way and all of
you will be able to email or phone us directly - see you on the 30th!

In November of 2008, Pandora NOT shipping that month was such a big deal that ED sent an email out to customers telling them that the delay was caused by the financial crisis and that while me MIGHT get it in December it was more likely to be January / February. 2009.

Pandora being delayed by two months is no longer worthy of an email.

DisgruntleElf said:
If Craig doesn't like the way the he and the OP team are being treated now just wait for the magazine and on-line reviews of Pandora start coming in. Those guy are going to be BRUTAL! With close to a 2 year delay, the high price tag, the now dated technology, and the current state of the OS, its gonna be messy. Expectation are going to be sky high. He would be wise to ship all the orders at once to prevent anyone from canceling before the Pandora reviews start rolling out.

Show me the identical form-factor OMAP9-equipped device with the lower price tag.

Alerino said:
this is really funny...

A little editing shows up an interesting truth...

Alerino said:
From the Open Pandora Newsletters

Craigix said:
reply-to OpenPandora Team <EvilDragon@openpandora.org>
date Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 6:50 PM
subject Openpandora news

Currently we have 105 test mass production Pandoras

There won't be another batch until 2010.

mostly because I can't be bothered to boggle at the rest :(

But.. how could he have been more upfront and honest than that? :blink:

Parsing through all those old posts from the last 1.5 years would ensure an eternal laugh(or cry, depends on your personality) ;)
In my opinion there is just one direction to go though, forwards.

mali said:
Parsing through all those old posts from the last 1.5 years would ensure an eternal laugh(or cry, depends on your personality) ;)
In my opinion there is just one direction to go though, forwards.
I would like to hear in an interview, when this is all finally said and done and the stress is off and they're actually making money just exactly how they thought that they were really really really only 2 months from shipping way back when. Hindsight is 20/20, and looking back it is obvious that there was no way, even if production had begun in September, that they would ship in December, but at the time there must have been some clue that they latched onto that made them think it was possible. I'd like to know what that clue was so that I can better appreciate just how big a shock this was to them, or at the very least to learn from the mistake made.

Yes, it unbelievable how unforseen problems arise and force the revision of planned schedules. :rolleyes:

craigix said:
If you want to lecture us in making a handheld please put your cards on the table and let us know of your own amazing inventions which you have brought to market before getting all high and mighty here.

I think some members have this covered. One gave birth to a little girl and sold it to some morons from the West for $20,000. That's per unit!

Loonie said:
DisgruntleElf said:
If Craig doesn't like the way the he and the OP team are being treated now just wait for the magazine and on-line reviews of Pandora start coming in. Those guy are going to be BRUTAL! With close to a 2 year delay, the high price tag, the now dated technology, and the current state of the OS, its gonna be messy. Expectation are going to be sky high. He would be wise to ship all the orders at once to prevent anyone from canceling before the Pandora reviews start rolling out.

Show me the identical form-factor OMAP9-equipped device with the lower price tag.

I'm looking at the bigger picture, value for the money. When Pandora is released critics will be compare it to everything in its price range(laptops, netbooks, android, iphone, DS, PSP, etc..). When the Pandora, once called Craignator, was announced many members held back on buying a F200 then later the WIZ. Now almost 2 years with announcement of many new open-source electronic devices I'm confident a few members have considered holding back on purchasing or canceled Pandora for those like the Moblic E7. It's a stretch to call Pandora the most powerful hand-held gaming machine without the backing of major gaming companies. Right now Pandora's strongest buy-in is emulation and two analog nubs. To sell Pandora solely on it "potential" and the possibility of developers jumping on board may not convince critics than Pandora is worth the buy.

Back