Stupid Pandora Tricks

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I was bored last night, sitting in bed tinkering with networking when I invoked.

Code:
ssh -Y me@mydesktop -p a_port

I sat there for a moment and considered the possibilities when I typed.

Code:
cd .wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/Adobe Photoshop/
wine Photoshop.exe

I watched as my Pandora happily displayed the application and I scribbled around with it. I smirked a bit knowing that thanks to the magic of tunnelled X11 connections over SSH I could do some other unusual things.

I tried to launch Morrowind, but of course that didn't work because the Pandora's X server doesn't have GLX extensions, but it was fun to try. :)

I launched a bunch of other "Windows only" applications and smiled at how usable some of them actually were - like Microsoft Word 2007. The very thought of which was blasphemy, I know. I shiver now that I allowed it to appear on my Pandora screen.

So, what have YOU done on your Pandora that is nonsense or a just because I can?

Thats pretty awesome actually; never occurred to me to use wine with X forwarding. sick :)

Ever had a router go down and used your pandora as a network bridge for a day? ;)

jeff

skeezix said:
Ever had a router go down and used your pandora as a network bridge for a day? ;)

Does the pandora wifi driver support Access Point mode? That would compensate lack of Ad-Hoc.

Bosbeetle said:
Strangest thing I did with it is charge my phone :p

Anyone tried to go one step further and make a charging perpetuum mobile?

Last edited by a moderator:
Morn said:
Bosbeetle said:
Strangest thing I did with it is charge my phone :p

Anyone tried to go one step further and make a charging perpetuum mobile?

I didnt do that but I do now generally bring one adapter and a tiny usb cable instead of 2 adapters when I go somewhere for more than 2 days :) Just plug in the phone into the pandora and charge 2 at a time :) very easy.

Strangest thing i did was when i was drunk surprisingly enough. Wanted to leave it on charge in my bedroom for when i wake up hungover, and I have a mains powered USB hub in there. Connected a USB lead from the hub to the pandoras mini-usb port but it didn't start charging. Then i realised the hub has to be plugged in to a USB device to become active, so i plugged it in to the USB port on the pandora. The hub turned on from the pandora, and the pandora charged from the hub. As the hub was mains powered it charged from that and when i woke up it had a full battery

I'm just impressed that it worked, and that i figured it out after being out half the night drinking with friends

kNeo gHau said:
Strangest thing i did was when i was drunk surprisingly enough. Wanted to leave it on charge in my bedroom for when i wake up hungover, and I have a mains powered USB hub in there. Connected a USB lead from the hub to the pandoras mini-usb port but it didn't start charging. Then i realised the hub has to be plugged in to a USB device to become active, so i plugged it in to the USB port on the pandora. The hub turned on from the pandora, and the pandora charged from the hub. As the hub was mains powered it charged from that and when i woke up it had a full battery

I'm just impressed that it worked, and that i figured it out after being out half the night drinking with friends
That's pretty awesome; at first I missed the whole "mains-powered" bit and I was like "By golly, you've solved perpetual energy!!!!" but it was a short-lived insanity.

The craziest trick I've done is...pre-ordering the pandora yet not being killed by my parents when it never arrived! Yay me! :lol:

Back