SuperZaxxon v1.72 released

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
OK so here is v1.72 final.

Main changes (see -rc thread for more background info):

Yet more wifi tweaks. This attempts to influence operation of closed firmware blob inside the wifi chip indirectly by switching power save mode differently (more info here and here). Even if vast majority of users report improvement, this change is a bit controversial because for some users it's worse (mostly CC users), so there is a way to switch to old mode that was used in SZ 1.71: create a file /etc/pandora/conf/wl1251 with "use_fw_ps=N". You can use these commands to do it:

sudo su
echo "use_fw_ps=N" > /etc/pandora/conf/wl1251
reboot

NAND reliability tweaks. Full reflash now reformats the flash in the way that reduces chances of data loss and tolerates weared flash better. Full reflash is required to take advantage of this (if you have SZ1.72-RC it's already done, no need for another reflash).

Performance tweaks. Less slowdown when things load from SD card.

Clean up. Some rarely used stuff removed from NAND, like samba. You can install it with "sudo opkg update; sudo opkg install samba" if you still need it.

More detailed changelog:

* kernel: updated to 3.2.69
* kernel: merged a few performance related patches from newer kernels
* kernel: made DSP shared memory and the framebuffer accessible by debuggers (previously it would fail)
* kernel: wifi driver updated to use different power saving method, as done by TI/Android driver
* kernel: fixed one case of charger LED not lighting up
* kernel: updated aufs to the last 3.2.x release

* kernel: fix a lock up cause by performance tweaks seen on SZ1.72-rc
* c64_tools: fixed system registers incorrectly being cached from DSP side, which allowed to remove unnecessary invalidate between commands (bsp)
* updated aufs-util, fixes mysterious mount.aufs failure after mount.cifs has been used at least once. Also fixes longstanding AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT error often seen in pndrun logs
* fixed a bug in pnd_run.sh that's somehow triggering after mount.cifs usage
* libpnd packaging fixes (avoid multiple copies of the lib and strip it)
* added perf to feeds, you can use "opkg install perf"
* fixed netcat, it wasn't really working
* OS version is now displayed by "Upgrade pandora OS" tool
* ca-certificates: updated, hash links added
* openssl: updated to 0.9.8zg (was needed for ca-certificates)
* wget: updated to 1.16.3 for https support

DOWNLOAD AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Upgrading from a previous SuperZaxxon version (1.5x or newer):
Use the "Upgrade Pandora OS" option

Please note:

• If you are updating from v1.61 or lower, it is highly recommended to do a full reflash because many system libraries have been changed in 1.70 and some users reported failures updating from v1.61 or earlier. Updating from 1.70 should be completely safe.
  • Be sure to backup any important data you might have in your NAND for the above reasons.
  • User-Modified configs will not be overwritten with the new version.
It is recommended to do a full flash in case you are encountering any issues.

Upgrade instructions using the Full-Flash-Image:

Download SuperZaxxon Final v1.72

Please note: Flashing the new firmware will put your unit back into a default state. All your settings and users will be lost. Of course, this does not apply to PNDs which save their stuff on the SD-Card.

To install it, simply extract the archive onto the root of your SD Card.
Insert the SD Card into the left slot. Keep R (shoulder) pressed while switching on your Pandora and select "Boot from SD1"
It will then flash the firmware onto the NAND. After it's finished, reboot your Pandora and patiently wait until the First Boot Wizard appears on the screen.

If "Boot from SD1" doesn't appear, try to reformat the SD Card using Panasonic SD Formatter, recopy the files and retry. In some cases you may have to use another SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to note that the full reflash refused to boot from SD1 on either of my (FAT32) 64GB SD cards - I had to use an old 32GB which worked flawlessly. 

D.

Hi Notaz,

great work - I got a question not really about the firmware update: is there a way to update bluez (or what would be the recommended way to compile it for distribution in a pnd) to 4.101. I noticed the current kernel has the hid-wiimote module, but I cannot yet pair up with one. I think this is the bluez version (should be >4.96 (101?), is 4.62)...

cheers

Wow an significant Speedup here my Pandora internal Wlan.

Up to 600KiB/s from time to Time but not the constant Speed.

The constant Download Speed rised from 150 KiB/s to 380 KiB/s and

now i can use MediaThekview PND and The Tube without any Wlan Dongle..yehaahh B)

Great Update,thx for doing it.

Upgraded all my Pandoras here ;)

Hi Notaz,

great work - I got a question not really about the firmware update: is there a way to update bluez (or what would be the recommended way to compile it for distribution in a pnd) to 4.101. I noticed the current kernel has the hid-wiimote module, but I cannot yet pair up with one. I think this is the bluez version (should be >4.96 (101?), is 4.62)...

cheers
yeah bluez is pretty old in the firmware. If anything could be done to have a more recent version that would be very useful to pair up with more devices.

4.101 doesn't compile (needs newer dbus), so compiled 4.99:

http://notaz.gp2x.de/tmp/bluez4_4.99-r11.5_armv7a.ipk

Install with "sudo opkg install <...ipk>". If it woks (BT keyboard still works for me), I can add it to OS update.

that was quick :)   still the same behaviour though with the new bluez. I read that you must enable it explicitly with --enable-wiimote at the configure (maybe also a bunch of other optional devices?)

btw that was on the arch linux wiki

btw2 a quick test shows that the new package is also working with master control (dunno if that could break)

just to be complete: what happens is that upon pairing it gives a pin and inmediately reports failure. I think the newest version should do pinless pairing...

Just to note that the full reflash refused to boot from SD1 on either of my (FAT32) 64GB SD cards - I had to use an old 32GB which worked flawlessly. 

D.
I had the same issue, Except I tried 4 More cards. None would let me boot, I formatted each one with the SD card Format Tool, all Fat32, all files checksum corrected.

The only way It would allow me to boot was if I removed the battery? It would boot from SD1, then give me a quick screen full of text at the end it said "Rebooting for kernel" Or to that extent, then the screen would just stay black and freeze until I hard reset. 

Never had that happen before.

D.
I had the same issue, Except I tried 4 More cards. None would let me boot, I formatted each one with the SD card Format Tool, all Fat32, all files checksum corrected.The only way It would allow me to boot was if I removed the battery? It would boot from SD1, then give me a quick screen full of text at the end it said "Rebooting for kernel" Or to that extent, then the screen would just stay black and freeze until I hard reset. 

Never had that happen before.
Ahh, that wasn't the case with me - I just got no "Boot from SD1" option until I got a compatible card.

D.

ok. I think the package now is compiled with support (at least the binary matches 'wiimote' search string, as suggested by the wiki). Now its still not pairing with the gnome bluetooth applet (the version of the firmware of the gnome bluetooth applet does not allow to proceed w/o pairing).  The following cli script does not seem to be available:

bluez-simple-agent
nor

bluetoothctl (this may be bluez 5 specific)

now, I wonder if I am missing another way to pair device on the CLI...hmmm :(

EDIT: shoot - found the hidd command, it connects automagically and the device is present, so that seems to be working!!

EDIT: shoot - found the hidd command, it connects automagically and the device is present, so that seems to be working!!
can you describe what you did ? I'd like to reproduce it :)
to pair up the device:

modprobe hid-wiimote

hcitool scan [press little red button inside battery compartement of wiimote]

hidd --connect <bdaddr>

(as root)

this pairs up the device and generates the devices in /dev, but does not make the wiimote functional,  still need some software to interprete the generated events (xwiimote), but you can verify at

/sys/bus/hid/devices

and watch events come in, e.g.

cat /dev/hidraw0

or 

cat /dev/input/mouse0

so still some work to do (I think an x input driver and/or xwiimote could be distributed as pnd), but looks promising

thats the adres returned by the hcitool scan command. at this point you should let the wiimote know it should try to pair (i think you must turnoff any nearby wii to be sure...) by pressing the button inside the batt compartement (or 1+2). it should flash the leds and hcitool should report the hex address

o yes, you should install the above bluez ipk... ;)

Thank you very much for this update.

Downloads speeds over WiFi improved significantly. My Pandy download speed doubles now the one I was experiencing before.

This update also added an extra row of icons to my desktop. Not sure why, but very grateful.

It also fixes the problem with the pandora button not opening the "start menu" when toolbar is hidden.

Great!

sounds interesting, especially the improvement of WLAN speed

@ingoreis : how about MeTV ? Is it working ?

@LinuxSwat : could we get the new WLAN driver for Slackware ? Would be nice - no more stick for surfing needed

Back