Supporting And Encouraging Jxd

Sphinxter

Says What?
Website
fullsack.com
I too was blinded by the, "oooh shiny", factor when the 301 first appeared and was all poised to jump on board. It took a stern remark from my cubemate to remind me why I develop for the GP2X, because it's free and open with no restrictions, a couple things unfortunately most of the workers on that new device will likely never know. When you write applications for a platform you endorse it and everything behind it making it more attractive and hopefully more dominant in the marketplace. I, like Tom Tuttle of Tacoma, do not want, "helped deliver hand-held gaming market to the Communists while bankrupting the niche marketeers in free countries.", on my resume.

GPH may have their head stuffed up their ass stone deaf to their consumers and I'm not saying they are but at least I can continue to work with them and develop for it with a clear conscience. When Tibet is free and Taiwan no longer threatened I will gladly add JXD platform support and will continue to develop primarily for the most free and open platform available from a free country until then.

Sphinxter said:
When Tibet is free and Taiwan no longer threatened I will gladly add JXD platform support and will continue to develop primarily for the most free and open platform available from a free country until then.
I don't think by buying a product from a totalitarian regime you are supporting the regime itself. However I think it's great that you continue to develop for the GP2X :)

Last edited by a moderator:
b_o_b said:
Sphinxter said:
When Tibet is free and Taiwan no longer threatened I will gladly add JXD platform support and will continue to develop primarily for the most free and open platform available from a free country until then.
I don't think by buying a product from a totalitarian regime you are supporting the regime itself. However I think it's great that you continue to develop for the GP2X :)

What if their taxes and graft are keeping said totalitarian regime in power?

Sphinxter said:
What if their taxes and graft are keeping said totalitarian regime in power?
I was more talking about it from a morally point of view. I don't want to be dragged in a big political discussion here btw. This is more a discussion for the off topic forum.

I share your view, although not from the regime perspective. A lot of day to day things we take for granted support such regimes, and unfortunately only a major change in the majority's mind will make any difference. not going to happen.

However, I think the GP2X 'deserves' to be coded for more than these flavour-of-the-month clone-ish PMPs that come out every six months. I bet it's a lot more fun too, not to mention that it's backed by such a great and supportive community :)

Sphinxter said:
I too was blinded by the, "oooh shiny", factor when the 301 first appeared and was all poised to jump on board. It took a stern remark from my cubemate to remind me why I develop for the GP2X, because it's free and open with no restrictions, a couple things unfortunately most of the workers on that new device will likely never know. When you write applications for a platform you endorse it and everything behind it making it more attractive and hopefully more dominant in the marketplace. I, like Tom Tuttle of Tacoma, do not want, "helped deliver hand-held gaming market to the Communists while bankrupting the niche marketeers in free countries.", on my resume.

GPH may have their head stuffed up their ass stone deaf to their consumers and I'm not saying they are but at least I can continue to work with them and develop for it with a clear conscience. When Tibet is free and Taiwan no longer threatened I will gladly add JXD platform support and will continue to develop primarily for the most free and open platform available from a free country until then.
I just find it unfortunate that so much of the discussion on this site is dominated by discussion of developing for OTHER systems like the JXD or the Craiginator when this is a site dedicated to the GP and GPH handhelds. Especially when we have a brand spanking new GP2X system out that has so much potential and possibility, but no one wants to even TRY to develop for it because the new set up makes it more difficult to program on. Note that I said "more difficult", not "impossible". I think that all threads about non GP consoles should be delegated to the "Other Stuff" section of the forums. Maybe then the F-200 won't be overshadowed. *shrugs*

morrissey2k7 said:
but no one wants to even TRY to develop for it because the new set up makes it more difficult to program on. Note that I said "more difficult", not "impossible"
Are you part of that "no one" who wants to develop for it?

Orkie said:
morrissey2k7 said:
but no one wants to even TRY to develop for it because the new set up makes it more difficult to program on. Note that I said "more difficult", not "impossible"
Are you part of that "no one" who wants to develop for it?

Oh man, I have so much enthusiasm and so many ideas, but alas, I don't even know where to START when it comes to programming, haha. All I can do at this point is enjoy others' creations and give my support through appreciation and feedback. I'm just saying that it seems that those who are experienced in dev'ing on the F-100 don't want to be bothered by the difficulties that the new USB situation on the F-200 present (not everyone, perhaps, but the ones that have no interest on the F-200 are clearly being the most vocal about it). I just don't want new users just getting into the GP2X world to think that it can't be done. The consensus doesn't seem to be "Programming on the F-200 is impossible!" but rather "Well, damn, this is going to be more work than dev'ing on the F-100. I'm not interested in doing it".

It's not laziness - most devs haven't even got an F-200.

Another point you're missing is that for most devs the GP2X is a hobby i.e. fun, not a chore. If my job was developing on the F-200 I would have to put up with it.

It's not impossible, just hard work or expensive. The F-100 had a load of facilities out of the box that have been taken away.

The F-200 is a good machine but have an inferior development environment.

Parkydr said:
It's not laziness - most devs haven't even got an F-200.

Another point you're missing is that for most devs the GP2X is a hobby i.e. fun, not a chore. If my job was developing on the F-200 I would have to put up with it.

It's not impossible, just hard work or expensive. The F-100 had a load of facilities out of the box that have been taken away.

The F-200 is a good machine but have an inferior development environment.
I wasn't trying to insinuate laziness. I was more focused on the way that some of the posts are phrased makes it sound as if it's not possible to program on the F-200, when I'm sure that's not the case.

It's not impossible, we all had to develop like this when the F-100 first came out, it just hard going back to such a slow and tedious process, when you've got use to better.

Parkydr said:
It's not impossible, we all had to develop like this when the F-100 first came out, it just hard going back to such a slow and tedious process, when you've got use to better.
Couldn't you (and other devs) still use your F100 as a dev environment and use a F200 for game playing (better pad etc)? I would think that would work except for testing touchscreen stuff obviously. It is not like anyone will recover much money by selling their F100s anyway.

DaveC said:
Parkydr said:
Couldn't you (and other devs) still use your F100 as a dev environment and use a F200 for game playing (better pad etc)? I would think that would work except for testing touchscreen stuff obviously. It is not like anyone will recover much money by selling their F100s anyway.

Actually, I sold my MKII and my Cradle together as a bundle and made enough money to buy an F200, so it CAN happen. I put them up as a Buy It Now and I made $194 (counting the s&h price).

Alex. said:
However, I think the GP2X 'deserves' to be coded for more than these flavour-of-the-month clone-ish PMPs that come out every six months. I bet it's a lot more fun too, not to mention that it's backed by such a great and supportive community :)
Especially when most of these devices have more flaws than a GP2X. It seems a high clock speed trumps all for some reason. If the thing had a 700 MHz CPU, a 1" screen, no speakers and 2 buttons people would be like OMFG!! I got to get one of these and dev for it, Fuck the GP2X!!! I don't get it. Everyone moans about the F200 because it doesn't have a stylus silo etc, but can't click the "Buy now" fast enough for a system with a small screen, one speaker, no shoulder buttons, and missing "Start/Select" buttons etc. weird :blink:

Iorgy77 said:
geeze guys would you like some cheese with your whine?
Yes, please! :lol: But if I'm to be accused of whining, let's set the record straight: I'm whining about the TRUE whiners, who have been nitpicking the F-200 into the ground for the past week, while I've been sitting here, F-200 in hand, enjoying the hell out of it! :D

Um, enjoying the F-200 that is, not the complaining. :p

morrissey2k7 said:
Iorgy77 said:
geeze guys would you like some cheese with your whine?
Yes, please! :lol: But if I'm to be accused of whining, let's set the record straight: I'm whining about the TRUE whiners, who have been nitpicking the F-200 into the ground for the past week, while I've been sitting here, F-200 in hand, enjoying the hell out of it! :D

Um, enjoying the F-200 that is, not the complaining. :p

So let the devs enjoy what they want to do in their spare time and dev for a console that interests them, god knows they have done alot for us. If they want to vent about GPH stupidity, I think they have earned the right.

DaveC said:
It seems a high clock speed trumps all for some reason. If the thing had a 700 MHz CPU, a 1" screen, no speakers and 2 buttons people would be like OMFG!! I got to get one of these and dev for it, Fuck the GP2X!!! I don't get it. Everyone moans about the F200 because it doesn't have a stylus silo etc, but can't click the "Buy now" fast enough for a system with a small screen, one speaker, no shoulder buttons, and missing "Start/Select" buttons etc. weird :blink:
Devs just like variety. It's more like "Hmmm, interesting console. I've never coded anything for a Blackfin processor before, I wonder what its like?". Also, the console is cheaper than the cheapest development/evaluation kit. It's the same reason people hack cameras to play doom on it's LCD - pure interest. Most of the time they are not actually interested in playing the game, they just want to see if its possible, and how it runs.

So yes, if a handheld console came out with a 700 MHz CPU, a 1" screen, no speakers and 2 buttons, people would most likely dev for it, and depending on the resolution of the screen, you may find that domm and/or snes/etc gets ported to it.

Also, FYI, I'm intending to attempt to port doom to this device too, just to see if it can be done:
http://www.uxcell.com/mp4-mp3-player-tft-d...048-p-5683.html

Squidge said:
Devs just like variety. It's more like "Hmmm, interesting console. I've never coded anything for a Blackfin processor before, I wonder what its like?". Also, the console is cheaper than the cheapest development/evaluation kit. It's the same reason people hack cameras to play doom on it's LCD - pure interest. Most of the time they are not actually interested in playing the game, they just want to see if its possible, and how it runs.
I could not agree more.

Why am I interested in the 301? Simple, I have not hacked about with a BlackFin CPU before and this is £100's cheaper then a BlackFin dev kit.

Much like Squidge I hack around for fun, I am not a gamer.

Considering the number of components in the GP2X that are sourced from China I also found the ethical arguments at the top of the thread a little 'thin' when you think about it ;). In fact if ethics and human rights are your foundations then using consumer electronics is a very bad idea as an unfortunate truth is that the bulk is made/designed in the cheapest way possible in the cheapest countries with the worst records :eek:.

Sphinxter said:
Sorry you feel that way, GPH are a company that feel things like GPL compliance come at the beginning of legal proceeding's and even that only came into compliance as there sellers withheld orders :eek:. They have not released any of the FW4 source patches despite the touchscreen driver being clearly GPL'ed.

You could argue that for the devs who are being ripped off by GPH they may not feel so charitable to GPH's shortcomings. Just another viewpoint to consider. Screwing people over can happen in many ways some I agree more reprehensible then others but people are screwed over just the same.

Not saying a company like JXD are any better (never spoken to them, have no idea) but I suspect they are in the same ballpark.

Alex. said:
That's the GP32 community you're thinking about. The GP2X community only cares about emulators and getting something for nothing.

Back