Surprise Attack!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
This week (or more precisely: yesterday!) Global Components made a surprise attack!
They did the production run of the 30 prototype CPU boards - without telling us upfront.

1. Prototype CPU boards finished

The first thing I heard about them was from Nikolaus in the evening... when he told me he just grabbed 6 produced CPU boards, fully X-Rayed and looking fine.
What a surprise!

He made a quick boot-up test of a CPU board and it worked fine.
The remaining ones are currently being checked thoroughly by GC (X-Rayed, etc.) and Nikolaus will check the one he received next week.

The most important thing is to find out whether the system still freezes with 1,5GHz or not - as that was the only change on the CPU boards we couldn't test upfront.

The second important thing is to test the 4GB CPU boards (I'm going to send one to zmatt as he wanted to work on that).

If both works... well, then the CPU boards are ready for mass production!

2. The remaining boards

Nikolaus finished the work on the Mainboard early last week as well and we have now submitted the final design files as well as the BOM (Part List) to GC.

These should hopefully be the final revision as well as all known fixes have been included.
The production of the bare PCB will take a few weeks, but not as long as with the CPU boards, as they are A LOT simpler boards (the CPU board is 12-layer... the display board 2 layer and the mainboard 6-layer).

Once I receive more details, I'll let you know.

Well, this is kind of a milestone for the project.
With all known hardware errors squashed, it should be ready for the mass production!

3. The LCD Cable

The LCD Cable tester we created were really helpful, as it helped me a lot analysing why I had issues with the LCD Cables for the prototypes.

One important thing first: As it looks like, the latest revision of the cables works fine, so no more prototype needed!

Now the explanation what I did and why I had issues:
As mentioned, the company accidentally produced cables that were a bit too thick but those were the only ones we had ready for the GamesCom, so we used them.
They were hard to fit into the prototype units, but they worked.

Then, a few weeks ago, I wanted to build more units for developers and planned to use the newly produced LCD cables (which had proper thickness).
However, I couldn't get any unit to work properly with those... so we first had the suspicion that the ears were too close to the edge which could cause short circuits or that the too thick cables caused damage to the LCD cable connector, which would mean that we'd have to replace them on our existing prototype PCBs.

With the small tester PCB we created, I could do more tests and check how well the cables work with the connectors.

Good news: The latest revision cables fit perfectly. No shortcircuits, no broken contacts, everything working fine.
But what happens to the connectors when we use one of the thicker cables?

Tried that.
The thicker cables work fine as well, they just are hard to fit into the connectors (well, for the first 2 - 3 times... after that, they're an easy fit).
Then I used one of the new cables which has been proven to be working fine: And yes, some connections are broken!
Seems like the thicker cables bend or damage the pins inside the connector so they don't have proper contact with the normal cable anymore!

That's a VERY good reason I had issues building the prototypes!

Last test: Putting one of the thick cables into the broken connectors.
Result: Working fine!

So yes, the pins are just BENT, not broken. Which means: Once we cramped the too thick cable in there, it will only work with the thick cable in the future.

Tried that. Build a prototype with one of the older, too thick cables: Worked like a charm on first try!

So the conclusion is:
The cables are working fine, no change needed. And for the old prototype boards we will build using the thicker cables.

4. Case and keymat

I decided to let the keymat company produce the DPad as well and apply it directly to the keymat (similar to the one on the Pandora, just more reliable and we don't have to do it ourselves).
This is simply because it doesn't really add more costs and I've made a lot of tests - but without glueing the DPad, it just doesn't feel as good.

I'm waiting to receive samples of both of them.

5. The wandering prototype

I am thinking of maybe use one prototype to send it to interested preorders for a couple of days and then they'll send it to the next one on the list.
While the software surely won't be fully working, everyone can at least try the keyboard and overall design.

I'm not sure I'll do it, but it seems like an interesting idea.
The only thing the interested user has to pay are the shipping costs to the next one on the list.
It would ship without a battery though, as shipping items with batteries included isn't cheap.

What do you think?

6. Server move

You have probably found out that the current server has some networking issues right now.
Sometimes I've got up to 80% of package loss... so it feels unresponsive.

Don't worry about that though, I am currently moving to a new server anyways!
This'll take some time as moving all the files will take quite a while, but I'm already doing that.

There will be a few downtimes here and there until the move is done, but after that, the server should be faster than before.

The details of the new server:
Intel® Xeon® E3-1275 v5 Quad-Core Skylake incl. Hyper-Threading Technology
RAM64 GB DDR4 ECC (twice as much as on the old one)
Hard Drive: 2 x 4 TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 rpm Class Enterprise
Guaranteed Bandwidth: 1 Gbit/s (200MBit/s on the old one)

Those were the news of the week. If you got questions, feel free to ask :)

Great! It seems like things are moving along. Hope to see some "gameplay" videos soon!

One question though: it occurred to me during a conversation today, that outside of emulation, our stock of games will be fairly limited, because most games, even non-heavy indie games with a linux version for example, run on the the x86 architecture, and that the Pyra wouldn't be accepting to most games and at least all Steam games because of that. Is there anything to do about it?

Great! It seems like things are moving along. Hope to see some "gameplay" videos soon!

One question though: it occurred to me during a conversation today, that outside of emulation, our stock of games will be fairly limited, because most games, even non-heavy indie games with a linux version for example, run on the the x86 architecture, and that the Pyra wouldn't be accepting to most games and at least all Steam games because of that. Is there anything to do about it?

Do you have a Pandora? There are a number of launchers for popular games, like Diablo 2 or the Freespace series, that use the data files but can then interpret them for linux/ARM. You won't be playing newish Steam Linux games unless that work is done unless they explicitly support ARM, but there's a pretty sizeable list of good games for which the work has already been done. And don't forget, there's a world of PC games accessible via Dosbox that will be perfectly suited for the full keyboard.

Sounds interesting whit the wandering Prototyp,
Whitout Batterie, but I have the battery from my Pandora..
But wouldn't this take too long?? I mean there are over 900 Preeorderes now, and this would take lots of time..
Or do you mean prototype preeorderers??

It is good to hear the thick cables and the widened slots aren't broken and can still be used.
This reminds me of some dirty jokes I do better not bring up.

The wandering Pyra would certainly fit nicely into this particular mythology.

Do you have a Pandora? There are a number of launchers for popular games, like Diablo 2 or the Freespace series, that use the data files but can then interpret them for linux/ARM. You won't be playing newish Steam Linux games unless that work is done unless they explicitly support ARM, but there's a pretty sizeable list of good games for which the work has already been done. And don't forget, there's a world of PC games accessible via Dosbox that will be perfectly suited for the full keyboard.
While I agree with you on old games (which are the main purpose of Pyra, arguably), I do have a worry about "newish" games. I don't expect every game to come with support, but games which are not that new anymore? I was thinking The Binding of Isaac would make a fine game for testing the feel of the buttons and sticks. FTL would challenge the touchscreen.

EDIT: No, I do not have a Pandora, I waited it out for the Pyra. Also I'm quite a noob so please excuse any imprecise statements.

Last edited:
I've always wished of having a pocket sized Dos computer when I was younger, never thought we have pocket PC's powerful enough to emulate the darn thing!
(with the exception of android phones but onscreen keyboard sucks on those)

The wandering Pyra is a nice idea.
Maybe add Gernot to the list? It would be nice to have GLBasic outputting to Pyra from the very start.

I've always wished of having a pocket sized Dos computer when I was younger, never thought we have pocket PC's powerful enough to emulate the darn thing!
(with the exception of android phones but onscreen keyboard sucks on those)
DOSBox is a really broad definition of "DOS", imho. It'll feel like DOS if you get the cycles right (which is harder in the DAUM build), and good luck emulating a roland sound canvas or getting it to do glide wrappers PROPERLY.
But yeah, it's what we have and will fit from stock for most games. I recommend the Ultrasound patches.

I'm not sure about this wandering Pyra idea. It's cute, but it would be easy for someone to lie and say they sent it on, but end up keeping it. Even if they've got a Pyra preorder, the opportunity to keep a prototype for a bit longer might be quite tempting, and once you've kept it for too long, owning up and sending it on would only get harder.

A faster server will be welcome after the recent slowdown/downtime. Any estimates yet for when the switcheroo will occur?

Good work on the LCD connectors. That explanation all makes sense and using the thick cables for the prototypes sounds like a good workaround. So the prototype owners won't be able to replace the cables with thin ones if they ever do need replacing, but they are prototypes so that's probably okay.

DOSBox is a really broad definition of "DOS", imho. It'll feel like DOS if you get the cycles right (which is harder in the DAUM build), and good luck emulating a roland sound canvas or getting it to do glide wrappers PROPERLY.
But yeah, it's what we have and will fit from stock for most games. I recommend the Ultrasound patches.
Doesn't matter too much now as most of the games I played on Dos have source ports now (Descent, Doom etc)

While I agree with you on old games (which are the main purpose of Pyra, arguably),
It depends. Personally, for me it will be a portable personal computer, for all kinds of stuff.

I do have a worry about "newish" games. I don't expect every game to come with support, but games which are not that new anymore?
There is still the possibillity of using x86 emulation, most commonly using qemu or exagear. Of course that will come at the cost of a reduced performance. Howewer, even on the pandora (I also don't have one) there are reports of older windows games working through exagear and wine.
Talking about newish/indie games, there is an old video showing a devboard running Knytt Stories:
Basically it would depend on the game: Wich engine was used, how is it optimized, etc.

- Some x86 games will run more or less out of the box (like many html5 and java games, most probably also minecraft).
- Some may require a launcher that reads the gamefiles, as said
- Some are at least easily portable, if the developer is willing
- Some will need x86 emulation
- Some will not work well, if at all

It's not easy to tell wich game will end up in wich category (they also may move), but I'm sure there will be tons of games to play.

I'm not sure about this wandering Pyra idea. It's cute, but it would be easy for someone to lie and say they sent it on, but end up keeping it. Even if they've got a Pyra preorder, the opportunity to keep a prototype for a bit longer might be quite tempting, and once you've kept it for too long, owning up and sending it on would only get harder.

Everybody could send it on in a tracked parcel, so you could at least verify if someone has sent it on. Maybe ED could insure it in some way or ask for a deposit or something?

I'd really like to get a sneak peek at the Pyra before getting my preorder :D I still have two Pandora batteries in the fridge, waiting to power my Pyra.

yeah, but ED could request/insist on the tracking number each time someone says they sent it on. the person who says one tracking number and it doesn't show up after a day or two on the postal site still has it... i like it, it shows the community is different, and capable of "sharing" (it's caring).

[edit] ninja'd by @fahrstuhl.

[another edit] ED doesn't need to require a deposit, he just doesn't send you your own Pyra until you ship it on :D

nevertheless, i'm not sure i'd participate, i think i'd rather just pay for shipping my own Pyra when it's ready :).

Last edited:
Did GC decide to produce those boards on their own or did Nikolaus ask them to? Seems like a strange move to bypass your customer in such a decision. Oh well, at least it works to our benefit this time around.

I am not sure what a wandering Pyra would add. Unless you want to gather feedback on the keyboard to actually make adjustments then it is nothing more than a gimmicky move with some risk of someone not shipping it. The odds of people agreeing on what changes to make are small and so would be the sample size (unless you want massive delays). As for the keyboard quality, I have no trouble at all deferring that decision to ED. His judgement on these matters has proven sound many times before.

Perhaps as an alternative to wandering Pyra you could have some preorderers visit ED for a day. They could do some testing and talking and get a tour of the facilities...

Back