Tales of... vs Final Fantasy

Mr Rob

Hello all:

Of late I've been playing a lot of a couple "Tales of..." games (specifically Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny). For those that have never heard of them, they tend to be Action RPGs, taking the typical random battles of an RPG and giving you actual control of the movements of the battle instead of simply selecting 'attack' or 'magic'.

Gameplay wise, I tend to find this system more enjoyable than the typical battle system found in the PSX and older Final Fantasy games (I haven't played anything newer, so I can't speak for those). So the thing that baffles me, is why does the FF franchise seem to be more popular?

I'm certainly not ripping on FF, as that franchise did bring many new ideas to RPGs, but why isn't Tales popular, too? Or is Tales much bigger overseas than it is in the US?

I'm just interested in some people's thoughts on the series, if anyone here plays.

As far as I know the original Tales series was not released in the US. If you like the Tales series try the Star Ocean series, it has the same game play style.

Love the tales of series. Final Fantasy on the other hand, died for me after FF10 (i.e. FF11 and later).

Also check the secret of mana series (e.g. seiken densetsu 3), if you haven't already.

Final Fantasy 12 has open world real time battles.

+1 for Secret of Mana

As far as I know the original Tales series was not released in the US. If you like the Tales series try the Star Ocean series, it has the same game play style.

True, Tales of Phantasia for the SNES was not released in the US. A later remake for the PS1 was, I believe.

Love the tales of series. Final Fantasy on the other hand, died for me after FF10 (i.e. FF11 and later).

Also check the secret of mana series (e.g. seiken densetsu 3), if you haven't already.

Yeah, I've always heard good things about Secret of Mana and Star Ocean (played a tiny bit of Star Ocean, the graphics put me off, actually. And slightly less action RPG than Tales). So they're on my list to play. The biggest problem is that RPGs tend to take so much time; my latest run of Phantasia took just over 24 hours (including going through the Moria Gallery) which is naturally spread out over at least a few weeks.

But even still, when originally getting the device, most people are all a "Yeaaah, I can play FFVII and FFIX again!" (which I probably will one day, too). But explore a bit and you find better games. Strange.

Final Fantasy 12 has open world real time battles.

+1 for Secret of Mana
it also has a rediculos amount of cut sceens, kinda killed it for me. dont mind cut sceens just not a 20 mins worth of video every 30 seconds

also random question does anyone have issues with ff viii on the pandora? 7 and 9 work spot on and yesterday i tried 8 and it freezes upon entering battle sequences.

Have i just made a dodgy copy of my disk or is this a problem across the board i am un aware of? my origional copy of the game is still at my folks house so cant make a copy again to test.

The Tales-Series has a VERY good character development!

For me, the early Tales-Games were nearly as good as FF6 / FF7 / FF9.

The later Tales (Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Vesperia, etc.) surpass the recent Final Fantasies in my opinion!

Pity about what Namco Bandai did to the studio... They weren't advertising at all =/

Hello all:

Of late I've been playing a lot of a couple "Tales of..." games (specifically Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Destiny). For those that have never heard of them, they tend to be Action RPGs, taking the typical random battles of an RPG and giving you actual control of the movements of the battle instead of simply selecting 'attack' or 'magic'.

Gameplay wise, I tend to find this system more enjoyable than the typical battle system found in the PSX and older Final Fantasy games (I haven't played anything newer, so I can't speak for those). So the thing that baffles me, is why does the FF franchise seem to be more popular?

I'm certainly not ripping on FF, as that franchise did bring many new ideas to RPGs, but why isn't Tales popular, too? Or is Tales much bigger overseas than it is in the US?

I'm just interested in some people's thoughts on the series, if anyone here plays.
Funnily enough it seems that the next final fantasy game could be an action Rpg http://www.next-gen.biz/news/final-fantasy-xv-could-be-action-rpg

Yeah, I remember seeing an ad for FFXIII during my evening news.

Back