Tell Us Non-Mame Guys What The Best Of Mame Are :)

Sarlix

Well it was inevitable, just a question of when...

Here are my top ten plus two bonus ones!

Note: I've also included the name of the ROMS

Vendetta - vendetta - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKDIXDDRMqw

Pocket girl - pcktgal - This used to be in my local arcade - best and hardest pool game I've ever played.

Cadillacs and dinosaur - dino - Pow!

Punisher - punisher - Biff!

Samurai showdown III - samsho3 - Slice!

Last Blade - lastblad - Punch!

Golden axe revenge of deathadder - ga2 - Awesome!

Diehard arcade - diehard - Best fight mechanics

Neogeo turfmasters - turfmast - Addictive

Garou mark of the wolves - garou - Completed numerous times

Bonus!!!

Age of heroes - aoh - Very nice visuals

The crystals of kings - crysking - Very nice visuals

>.>

Sphinxter said:
After Burner II, Black Tiger, Cosmic Avenger and of course, Defender to name a few but there are almost too many to list.

Hey your just repeating the same ones!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside: Atari ST 'cannon' I made up years ago: http://www.rjmitchell.ca/~jeff/blog2009/2006/02/16/retro-my-list-of-atari-st-canon-games-you-simply-must-try-before-you-can-call-yourself-a-nerd/

Arcade games --

Quartet 2 -- a classic run and gun platformer

Space Duel -- like ASteroids vector game, but you and a buddy (or you and yourself) play two asteroids shipped stuck together with a rubber band; one can fire, one can thrust. Awesome!
Gravitar, Asteroids, Star Wars..

Willow -- amazing run and gun platformer

Wardner / Pyros -- theres a Genesis knockoff as well

Raiden / R-Type / Sky Shark - classics of the progressive shmup!

Gotta run, but I coudl write about 200 games here :)

jeff

Personal favorites off the top of my head;
Robotron
Donkey kong
Food fight
Galaxian
Outrun
Jackal
NBA jam
Raiden
Indy heat

Pucman

Edit : Varth - top down shooter, (I always use this one to see how well mame is running)

Edit 2 : Robotron - Can't wait to try this one with the dual nubs.

Mappy - Platform-esque - (mappy, mappyj) - Play as Mappy, a mouse who is a member of the Micro-Police, as he braves a house occupied by the cat-burglar Nyamco and his hench-kitties, the Mewkies, in an attempt to retrieve stolen goods. If you can manage to pick up the matching pairs of items in sequence without getting yourself killed, you can score big points.

Pac-Man - Maze - (puckman, pacman) - As far as I'm aware, this was the first video game to star a hero character (rather than a vehicle of some sort). You must guide Pac-Man around the maze, eating dots and the occasional piece of food that appears, and avoiding the four ghosts, Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Clyde. You can turn the tables on the ghosts by eating a Power Pellet - then you can eat them, too! (The Engrishy-named bootleg, Hangly Man, apparently provides an interesting variation on this game's mazes.)

Ms. Pac-Man - Maze - (mspacman) - This game is much like Pac-Man, except you play as Ms. Pac-Man, and the gameplay is more refined. The behaviour of the ghosts (Inky, Pinky, Blinky, and Sue) is more random than in the original game, and it takes good reflexes to outwit them at times. The bonus food in this game bounces around the maze, meaning that you have to chase it before it gets away.

Bubble Bobble - Platformer - (bublbobl) - Play as the humans-turned-into-Bubble Dragons, Bub and Bob, as they attempt to rescue their kidnapped girlfriends from the Cave of Monsters. You have to blow bubbles to trap enemies in, and then burst them in order to despatch your foes. Bubble Bobble has an excellent two-player mode, which is actually necessary to play through in order to truly beat the game. And who couldn't love a game where the last boss has a name like Super Drunk?

Asteroids - Space shooter - (asteroid) - A vector-based game where you navigate an unusually-controlled spaceship through a field of asteroids. Shoot a big asteroid, and it will split into two smaller ones. Shoot the two smaller ones, and they will each split into two tiny ones. Beware of the UFOs, especially the small ones, because they can shoot you, too. You can use the Hyperspace button to quickly warp away when you're in a fix, but there is a chance that your ship will explode when it rematerialises, so be wary.

Strider - Platformer - (strider) - Play as the ninja-like Strider Hiryu as he seeks to prevent Grandmaster Meio from taking over the Earth from his space-station, The Third Moon. Excellent soundtrack, and a great challenge.

Burger Time - Platform-esque - (btime) - Help Peter Pepper to construct giant hamburgers (by walking over the individual parts to make them fall to the platform below), whilst avoiding the terrifying anthropomorphic foods that want to stop him. Trap your foes in the burgers for extra points.

Blue's Journey - Platformer - (bjourney) - A solid-enough (and very difficult) platform game, with support for two players simultaneously (you can even carry the other player), and an interesting size-changing ability. Full of cute touches, such as seeing stage enemies happily chatting to each other while you're out of their field of vision. What makes it especially memorable is its incredibly poor translation work, which adds a whole dimension of unintended humour to the game. The game even occasionally misspells the name of its own hero - all hail Bule! (This game is also known as Raguy.)

Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters - Boss-rush - (megaman2, rckman2j) - The second of the two arcade-exclusive Mega Man games (the first one being Mega Man: The Power Battle). Pick from one of four characters, and fight your way through different sets of classic Mega Man bosses, before attempting to defeat Dr. Wily. You can take the bosses' weapons once you defeat them, and use them against other enemies (think along the lines of Rock, Paper, Scissors). This game has a two-player semi-co-operative mode, where you can help each other to defeat the bosses, but then race to claim their weapon for yourself (the player with the highest score at the end is considered the winner).

Mortal Kombat 1,2,3 Fighters
NBA JAM Basketball game on drugs hehe in a good way
Street Fighter 2 CE fighter
Super Street Figher 2 another fighter
Street Fighter Alpha 1,2,3 Fighters
Rival Schools Fighter
Pang just cool game shoot ballons love it :p

Rampart -- I've always been a huge fan of this game. Does it count, even though it has been ported a bunch?

Crystal Castles -- I haven't played this in years, and I remember it being a huge money eater. I don't know how fun it would be without the trackball.

Tank 8 -- Does anybody remember this game? I haven't even tried to play this on MAME because it was an 8 player arcade game!!!

This thread is of lesser usefulness than the other threads, since unlike with the SNES and Genesis/whatever, there are definitely "Mame games" which will never run on the Pandora.

Anyway, everything for the Neo Geo.

Kicker said:
This thread is of lesser usefulness than the other threads, since unlike with the SNES and Genesis/whatever, there are definitely "Mame games" which will never run on the Pandora.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I specifically only listed games that definitely work on the Pandora. :p

Don't get me wrong, though - I see where you're coming from. (I'm reminded a bit of an old "Recommend some PlayStation games" type of thread, where people kept naming titles that don't work on most emulators. Lo and behold, I tested them in psx4pandora, and the usual suspects don't work. :p)

These three are overhead and use two joysticks, so they should play excellently with the two analogue sticks.

Assault
Robotron 2417
Smash TV

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs - (Three player!) Beat 'em Up
TMNT - Beat 'em Up

Just remembered some more. :p

Bomb Jack - Platformer - (bombjack) - Play as a bomb-defusing superhero who visits various booby-trapped monuments and tourist spots. Amusingly, lit bombs don't explode - they're used as an indicator of which bomb to grab next, in order to get a higher score (you don't have to do this, though, and sometimes it's outright impossible to manage it). Tecmo licensed some of the tunes in the soundtrack - keep your ears open for its groovy chiptune rendition of Lady Madonna by The Beatles!

Dig Dug - Maze/digging - (digdug) - Dig through the ground, inflate your enemies to balloon-like proportions, and make them explode! What could be more fun than that? Catching the last enemy on-screen as he tries to flee when you've finished all of the others is very rewarding, but be careful not to get ambushed by multiple foes at once before you get to that point.

Final Fight - Brawler - (ffight) - An early 90s genre-defining brawler, which, fact-fans, was almost released with the name "Street Fighter '89". It has a clever two-button control system, which actually allows for quite a lot of moves, along with one special move per character, which does a lot of damage but also takes some health away from the player. Beat up the Mad Gear gang's thugs, and rescue Mayor Mike Haggar's daughter Jessica!

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts - Platformer - (ghouls) - A brutally difficult, but nonetheless fun, platformer with a spooky theme and excellent music. Help Knight Arthur to rescue the soul of his beloved Princess Prin-Prin from Hell itself, whilst facing all sorts of horrors from the Ghoul Realm along the way.

Time Pilot - Shooter - (timeplt) - You're a pilot who's travelling through time, trying to rescue survivors (I can only assume that they are from the same time period as yourself, and are stuck in the past), and shoot down enemy aircraft from various periods ranging from 1910 to 2001. You control a ship which can move in all directions, and around which the screen scrolls, and you have a button you can press to fire projectiles at enemy ships. The controls are precise and fun-to-use, and it's great fun trying to beat your high scores.

Three Wonders - Compilation - (3wonders) - This title contains three different games in one - a shooting game (Chariot), a puzzle game (Don't Pull), and an excellent platform game in the traditional Capcom style (Midnight Wanderers). Midnight Wanderers is very polished and fun, and could have been a lone coin-op in its own right. A nice touch is that Chariot is the "sequel" to Midnight Wanderers, and focusses on the chariot that you were tasked with finding in the "earlier" game.

Back