Terminal Input Output Error

fusion_power

Advanced Member
Website
Visit site
My standard Terminal on Pandora doesn't work anymmore. I actualy didn't changed anything on the System. I get an input output error message when I want to open the default Terminal. The other availableTerminals (the one with white Backgroud) seem to work but they don't work with copy and paste so it seems. But I wonder what can cause such an error. I don't use the Terminal that often and last time it worked normaly. I never had this message before.

Is there a way to fix it? Of course without reflashing or stunts like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh. how? It displays 85MB free, this could be the nand but I'm not sure since it could also count space on a SD, however, even 85MB sound less for the nand, I have no clue how to find stuff I could delete there, Trash is empty, I always delete with shift.

like I sayed, copy and paste seems to not work with these weirdo X Terminals but it shows me that there are 454MB of rootfs and 99MB still free there (355MB used)

The rest is some KB tmp and then my SD cards.

Funny thing is that in Thunar it sayes I have 65K Files and 1GB used, even it I remove my SD cards.

Maybe there is just a config messed up that starts the XFCE Terminal?

Lol, I found the reason why my XFCE Terminal doen't work. Linux typical, you would not come to the solution within 100 Years if you go the logical way. :lol:

Ok, I went to the most unlogical way and checked the ONLY thing I changed on my Pandora in the last time and this was my new XFCE Desktop Theme! I installed some custom themes a while ago but they didn't worked well in the old Midori. But the new one supports the XFCE Themes better so I used the "ATOLM" Theme. But for whatever Reason with this Theme, the Terminal doesn't work. Another Standard Theme activated and suddenly, the XFCE Terminal works again.

Really, I see no connection between this but it really is the Desktop Theme. Linux is really weird sometimes. :rolleyes:

Linux typical, you would not come to the solution within 100 Years if you go the logical way. :lol:

"Linux typical" is to be illogical? I beg to differ.

Really, I see no connection between this but it really is the Desktop Theme. Linux is really weird sometimes. :rolleyes:

I don't know much about OSes or DEs, but I'd bet it's not as weird as you think. Someone with more knowledge than me can try to explain.

Linux typical, you would not come to the solution within 100 Years if you go the logical way. :lol:

"Linux typical" is to be illogical? I beg to differ.

I don't know much about OSes or DEs, but I'd bet it's not as weird as you think. Someone with more knowledge than me can try to explain.

I've spent years dealing with Unix / Linux systems.. going back to Windows is a painful experience, It's so barren in the way of tools and utilities. I spend so much time finding a way of doing something that would take 10 seconds in Linux. Once you know Unix based OSs, it's pretty easy to bounce between different flavors and such.

And honestly, the more I think about it, I could easily see a poorly worded error message being the problem in this particular case. The terminal is trying to load something that the new theme doesn't have, and bam!, Input/Output error, and we all chase after filesystem issues to try to solve it.

So nothing's ever perfect (no matter what OS you use).

And honestly, the more I think about it, I could easily see a poorly worded error message being the problem in this particular case. The terminal is trying to load something that the new theme doesn't have, and bam!, Input/Output error, and we all chase after filesystem issues to try to solve it.

So nothing's ever perfect (no matter what OS you use).
Yes, something like this. I will go to all of my Pandora Programms and see if others also have trouble with this Theme. ^^ Well, I can live with that because I bareley use the Terminal and the other Terminals like xterm do work (no wonder, they don't use the XFCE Theme :D )

@TrashyMG: I don't know what you want to do with Windows but I never had such problems in Windows. Even my old Vista does what I want it does, no crashes, no trouble, no problems. I keep it up to date as possible and I really can't say anything negative about. It just acts like it should for the Things I do. :)

Lol, I found the reason why my XFCE Terminal doen't work. Linux typical, you would not come to the solution within 100 Years if you go the logical way. :lol:

Ok, I went to the most unlogical way and checked the ONLY thing I changed on my Pandora in the last time and this was my new XFCE Desktop Theme! I installed some custom themes a while ago but they didn't worked well in the old Midori. But the new one supports the XFCE Themes better so I used the "ATOLM" Theme. But for whatever Reason with this Theme, the Terminal doesn't work. Another Standard Theme activated and suddenly, the XFCE Terminal works again.

Was the ATOLM theme one of the themes that came as part of XFCE4, or did you grab it off of DeviantArt (it does look pretty nice.... http://skiesofazel.deviantart.com/art/Atolm-191381339)? If it is the DeviantArt one, it could be targeted at a different version of XFCE than the one we're using.

@TrashyMG: I don't know what you want to do with Windows but I never had such problems in Windows. Even my old Vista does what I want it does, no crashes, no trouble, no problems. I keep it up to date as possible and I really can't say anything negative about. It just acts like it should for the Things I do. :)

That's not what he was saying. He was saying the same thing you said about Linux: that it doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure if he was trying to prove this point or if he genuinely thinks Windows is difficult, but it goes to show that it's more about your familiarity with the OS than the OS itself. I'd say Linux is better than Windows in many ways (including being free software) and I would call Windows stupid (e.g. for assigning arbitrary "drive letters" that need to be used by programs, rather than just using the name of the media), but I still wouldn't call Windows confusing. At the same token, I wouldn't call Linux confusing. They're just different.

I don't really have much issues with Windows, it plays some PC games I can't get working with wine as for anything else I don't use Windows at all...

As a software developer that develops custom solutions for data gathering/manipulation, databases and such at work.. I find Windows very restrictive. Biggest issue is not having quick access to Software development tools via package management repositories. WAMP servers are flaky and I hate.. I repeat hate dealing with Microsoft solutions for Web hosting and databases.

Just using an OS for day to day things is one thing, actually getting work done is a whole different story.. I do better in a Unix world..

I don't code and I love Drive letters because they are just short. ^^

Was the ATOLM theme one of the themes that came as part of XFCE4, or did you grab it off of DeviantArt (it does look pretty nice.... http://skiesofazel.d...Atolm-191381339)? If it is the DeviantArt one, it could be targeted at a different version of XFCE than the one we're using.
Yes it was exactly this link to Deviantart. It was the only link I found I guess, I crawled a XFCE Theme Site and they linked to Deviantart in this case. I just downloaded and used it and it worked. Maybe there is another Bugfixed Version but I have no clue about these Linux themes, I just use it. You should try this theme, it fits nicely with a dark desktop Wallpaper. :)

I also use the "ALTER" Windows Decoration, fits very well with the Atolm theme.

I hope someone finds a fix for this little XFCE terminal bug.

As a software developer that develops custom solutions for data gathering/manipulation, databases and such at work.. I find Windows very restrictive. Biggest issue is not having quick access to Software development tools via package management repositories. WAMP servers are flaky and I hate.. I repeat hate dealing with Microsoft solutions for Web hosting and databases.

Just using an OS for day to day things is one thing, actually getting work done is a whole different story.. I do better in a Unix world..

Very true.

But I don't think this is really about Windows being confusing, but about Linux being better or easier. It's not really nonsensical how you do things in Windows, it's just... absolutely undesired.

EDIT: I worded that poorly. I meant that it's not all that difficult to understand.

Of course, though, that's why we have MSYS. :)

I love Drive letters because they are just short. ^^

Just you wait. The drive letters thing nearly made me blow up like a hydrogen bomb when it changed the drive letter it assigns to my external drive, which is where I have my ROMs, to the next just because I had inserted a flash drive. TWICE. First it was at F, then it changed to G, then to H. Luckily, it seems like it's staying at H... for now.

Just you wait. The drive letters thing nearly made me blow up like a hydrogen bomb when it changed the drive letter it assigns to my external drive, which is where I have my ROMs, to the next just because I had inserted a flash drive. TWICE. First it was at F, then it changed to G, then to H. Luckily, it seems like it's staying at H... for now.

That's actually my main gripe about the drive letters, too. You can identify drives in four different ways in Linux, so from a scripting perspective, it's essential to have consistent drive identification.

And it's usually other annoyances like that.

Consumer level stuff, yes, Windows can be helpful. Buy Starcraft 2 from Blizzard, stick the CD in and hit install, easy. But for some of the more interesting things you can do with computers, Linux is a God-send. I've actually built a little distributed 3D rendering system with Linux boxes. I can get a new node to add to the cluster and in twenty minutes (including the install of the OS itself) it's ready to go.

Back