Terrible games that have some good stuff

Prometheus

This was partly inspired by Craig's "Good games that are actually rubbish." thread, and partly inspired by a thought that occurred to me in the Mega Drive game recommendations thread in the Pandora section. The question is this: What terrible games can you think of, that, in spite of their badness, still have some good or at least interesting content in them?

Two spring to my mind quite readily. One is Mega Man: The Wily Wars (also known as Rockman Mega World) for the Mega Drive, which is a very poor Mega Drive conversion of three great NES games (I posted my thoughts on it in more detail here). In spite of having broken controls and a bunch of other irritating issues (it's the work of a third-party that Capcom licensed it to), it has an interesting unlockable game at the end ("Wily Tower"), for which you can pick a set of weapons of your choice from the other three included games, and fight a set of bosses themed around the ancient novel Journey to the West.

The other one that springs to mind, which I've had an awful lot of fun with, is Cheetahmen II. The game itself does not play well, but somehow its corny characters and setting, along with its excellent, but solitary, in-game tune, have gotten a bit of a following. This has resulted in a lot of really

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3hXexAzjhEk?feature=oembed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbC5dBqTI-k, of which there seem to be a near-endless supply.

Has anyone else encountered any games like these?

Last edited by a moderator:
Zorro on c64.

zorro-c64-3.gif

In many ways a terrible game; difficult to control, slow, obtuse... but damn if it doesn't drag you in, and then reward you when you figure out a puzzle.

I possibly wont be popular with this one, as everyone probably has a soft spot for Loony Tunes. I kinda do and my wife does especially, hence I took it on myself to attempt this game.

I have never had such game rage :angry: . This seemed to me alone perhaps, to have such awful controls, camera angles etc that I was reduced to maddening rage by it :(

Yet it is filled with little homages to various Looney Tune history and is so cute that you shouldn't possibly feel anything but Awwwwh! I never bared to finish it all, so perhaps will risk my Pandora via the PSXemulators but I feel I may end up hurling the Pandora at a wall or something, so perhaps I shan't :p

prometheus, was there anything good about the 3d mega man game on ps1? as soon as i saw a glimpse of that game i thought it was over for all upcoming mega man games

It's got a following (it also had a sequel and a prequel made, and it's the smallest of the "sub-series" that make up the franchise as a whole), but frankly I personally think it's like most other 3D games: An uninteresting trudgefest *at best*. The fact that, about a decade on, there still hasn't been a resolution to the cliffhanger that the sequel was left on probably says it all.

It has an endearing cast of characters and humourous writing, but those would be better put into a television show than a video game, with more focus put on the fundamentals of a fun video game than on trying to make a movie under the pretence of it being a video game. :p

Dammit, I just got prometheused.

Well partly.

Came to the off-topic section to start a thread about trash-gaming. Some friends of mine regularly do trash-movie evenings, enjoying horrible movies like "Beowulf" with Christopher Lambert or "Beowulf" with animated Anthony Hopkins. For a fact, there's a whole trash movie scene and the most hardcore even enjoy movies by Olaf Ittenbach, I can't bare at all.

Are there such computer games? Games that are great for simply being horrible?

I'd name "Care Bears - The Care Quest" and "Chicken Choot 2" (both gba) as candidates.

I somehow felt this belongs to the topic, if not I'd be ok with a split.

Something being "so bad it's good" falls under the same banner as far as I'm concerned. :lol: (I mean, look at the Cheetahmen!)

Something being "so bad it's good" falls under the same banner as far as I'm concerned. :lol: (I mean, look at the Cheetahmen!)

Damn, just watched a video on youtube. Cheetahmen II clearly blows.

When I think about it. not sure what to say about bart vs. the space mutants on c64. That game clearly was a lot of fun, but I never made it past the 3rd level and was terribly frustrated by the mechanics.

Pajamarama on the Spectrum, did everyone else just walk to the Arcade room in it and play the space invaders on acid clone? And ignore the rest of the game? Maybe I was too young.

For some reason, I like to play the first level of Demolition Man for the SNES. But my interest quickly fades after that.

For some reason, everyone seems to hate Sonic unleashed. I can really enjoy that game, but it would be a lot better without the (not that horrible) werehog levels and the bloated overworld where you sometimes search the next level for hours.

Still, the mix of 2d- and 3d-platforming in the hedgehog levels makes it a game I play more often then LittleBigPlanet, for example.

Pajamarama on the Spectrum, did everyone else just walk to the Arcade room in it and play the space invaders on acid clone? And ignore the rest of the game? Maybe I was too young.

You are not alone. But then I also listened to the B side song on "Piamania".

They were the days!

Can you count C64 Spindizzy in?

Basically, it's a great game - nice puzzles, a lot to map.

But I thought it was terrible, since it's so damn hard you will never see most of the game...

Also, Asterix and the Magic Cauldron on the C64.

It had nice music, I kinda liked the game... but it had such a weird map that made it nigh unplayable. I managed to play through the game by mapping each screen and where it leads.

A really bad game, but kinda fun.

Hard Drivn' on the Genesis/Mega Drive is cool just because it's interesting to see a 3D game running on a bare-bones Genesis. The instant replay after you crash is pretty humorous too.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rjx7y5kalns?feature=oembed

Wow, what a find, I never even knew something like that existed. There's ambition then there's just plain destroying all boundaries of sensibility. I bet that was some really hard driving indeed. Take that, SVP chip and your $100 game!

My favorite bad game was Azurik on the Xbox.

It starts out kind of lame, the dialog is rubbish, and your character is blue.

If you gave it a chance though it turns out to be a BIG adventure game (not those short rippy jippy 4 hour games of today)with lots of locations (everything from lava, ice and vast underwater levels), good level designs and puzzles that are actually challenging (not those Nintendo push block on a track "puzzles"). One puzzle has you lining up mirrors until the combination blasts a blockage letting you go further, this is using actual 3D pieces in the level itself not a minigame. The graphics got much better later on. There was one level where you saw this volcano towering over you most of the level. It turns out that you actually get to the top at one point, when you do you see all of the areas you scurried around in earlier, pretty cool. The play mechanic and design was pretty Metroid like (get powers unlock parts of levels you couldn't access before). One boss fight actually had you switching powers to combat the boss's shields. Later on the Gamecube Metroid boss had you do almost the same thing with the different visors. Today the graphics would look dated but back then it was decent.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4W6witvZh8?feature=oembed

Best bad game ever.

Interstate 76 was considered terrible by some, but it is one of my most favourite games. The car physics were great, and I remember how good it felt to be chased by an enemy car, drop some mines behind you and then handbrake and spin the car to face your pursuer, shoot off some missiles, spin back around and carry on going.

Thunderscape I really enjoyed too, although it is pretty clunky and generally pretty bad. Never finished it though, always wanted to get back to it and see if I could stomach plodding through the whole thing again.

Back