Tethering PayAsGo via USB

Trip

Sorry, but I suck at explaining stuff :P
Website
ubuntufs.wordpress.com
Just got my desktop PC running Linux Mint to connect to the Internet through my pretty crappy Nokia 6500 Slide mobile phone and thought I'd put the settings on here in case they're useful for anyone else :)

(I have a pay as you go contract that gives me free unlimited text and Internet for £10 a month through O2)

****Warning: Always use one of the main USB ports on the back of your computer; at least until you get everything working. Some front USB ports aren't full power on desktop machines and the same goes for USB ports on certain laptops.****

First of all the settings for your phone: (Anything written in bold is a folder)

Make sure that you get the default settings sent to you from O2 and save them into your phone before you go any further. Once the setting are saved, you can go through your phone and tweak with the following..

Menu, Settings, Connectivity, Packet data..

packet data conn. = when needed

Packet data settings..

active access point = mobile.o2.co.uk

Edit active access point..

alias for access point = mobile.o2.co.uk

packet data acc. pt. = mobile.o2.co.uk

Then go back to your phones main screen.

Menu, Settings, Configuration..

Default config sett. = O2

Preferred access pt. = O2 WAP GPRS Streaming

Menu, Settings, Connectivity, USB data cable..

select PC Suite.

Once all the settings are correct on your phone you can connect the phone up to your computer.

Next we need to get the setting filled in for the Gnome NetworkManager:

Right click the NetworkManager icon and choose Edit Connections.

Click on the Mobile Broadband tab at the top of the window that opens up.

Click add to add a new connection and choose the following from the connection wizard..

Choose the phone that you want to connect through and press the Forward button.

Choose the country that your in and continue.

Add all the rest of the details from each of the screens until the wizard finishes. Don't worry if these aren't right as we will change them manually after.

Now that you have a named connection within the Mobile Broadband tab, you can select the connection and click on the Edit button on the right and make sure you have the following settings..

Connection Name = o2 Pay and Go

Number = *99#

Username = payandgo

Password = password

APN = payandgo.o2.co.uk

That should be all you need. If you have any trouble connecting, try unplugging the USB from the phone and plugging it back in :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back