Texas Instruments: Dual-Core ARM Cortex-A15 Splashes Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9

QazzaQY2K

Still Fresh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kgPlsczhZg

ti_omap5_sm.png

http://www.xbitlabs...._Cortex_A9.html

Last edited by a moderator:
What a strange way of comparing.

What would be a better way to compare? I much prefer this benchmark suite that uses real web sites to synthetic micro-benchmark garbage like Browsermark.

What would you conclude from this? This setup maximizes the number of elements which can influences progress.

What is the bottleneck for each device? How many times has this been tried? Are the websites chosen to favour accelerators in one device which are absent in another.

Setups like this are very easy to influence depending on which outcome you want them to have. For a fair comparison, you need to pin down as many variables as possible and then measure, repeatedly, the metrics you want to compare.

There is nothing wrong with doing some "real-life" tests as well, but without more information you cannot conclude anything here.

Indeed.... my first thought while watching the video was to wonder whether or not they were loading the data from a local source. If that was a comparison of loading web pages directly from the net then it tells us nothing about the processors at all.

- Neelix

The cortex A-9 seems to take a loonng time beofore loading the next page at one point. If they are loading this from the internet it sure doesn't seem like the best way. I would imagine there are some better benchmark for testing rendering speed.

From what I have read the Cortex-A15 should be really quite good though. There is also all the talk about ARM processor moving into the server market with 64bit chips. I think it will take sometime though...

What I really want to see is some good laptop with those new generation ARM chip. Imagine a Cortex-A 15 with 2GB of ram and a with a fast SSD. That should be powerfull enough for most needs. Maybe windows 8 will help with this... Locked bootloader isn't really what I want though. Running linux would be better.

Back