text adventure recommendtions

LTStone

Hi guys, I'm trying to find some absorbing text adventures but hopefully not too hard either.Feel free to discuss your own favorite text adventures and experiences..

Zork.  The first few at least.  I haven't really played many others so I am also looking forward to the suggestions here.

I would be interested in what people have to say about The Lurking Horror since it is unlikely I will get a chance to play it anytime soon.

Edit: Does anyone know any good science fiction themed ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
ha , the lurking horror I just started a couple of days ago, So far I really like it and have not got stuck yet.. also by using Xournal and a graph paper back ground its easy to map the games as well all on the Pandy :)  I download a ton of games on the zx spectrum to try out as well, I'll post my opinion as I try new games

Zork.  The first few at least.  I haven't really played many others so I am also looking forward to the suggestions here.

I would be interested in what people have to say about The Lurking Horror since it is unlikely I will get a chance to play it anytime soon.

Edit: Does anyone know any good science fiction themed ones?

As for that I quess Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy is supposed to be good, but I havent tried it.

I completely forgot about that one.  I played it for a little while and it seemed pretty fun.

and pirates cove on the Vic 20, I'll check it out

In the old ones, you've got A Mind Forever Voyaging which is quite interesting.
I don't know much about the recent ones, but I've been told that there are many great games and authors today.

AMFV is great, but quite involved. Not overly difficult but save often.

The classics are of course the classics, but I'd encourage everyone to have a look at the more current stuff being made. Text adventures kinda stopped being commercially successful in the early nineties, but lots and lots and lots has happened since then in the Interactive Fiction (as the modern term is) community. 

This is a good place to start: http://inform7.com/if/anthology/ , particularly if you check out the links to Emily Shorts guidebook and the lik ti the IF archive and review sites.

A personal favorite is Adam Cadres 'Photopia', which does end up more on the "interactive story" side rather than "Adventure game", but a darn good story it is: 

http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ju778uv5xaswnlpl

As far as I know, Gargoyle can play both Inform and TADS games on the Pandora (or most other platforms :D  )

Well I have started another one for the c64 called Corya the Warrior Sage so far so good, this one you have some magic spells which kind makes this more interesting although I am stuck already where someone is more murmuring under a burnt down hut but when I try to save them the roof collapses on me...  

Wow I guess there is a couple of apps called text fiction and twisty for android that are z-interpreters that allow the playing of classic and new Text adventures, I'll have to try this on the Pandora. Does anyone know if there is a portable version of a z-interpreter that might work on native Pandora OS ?

Hi all :)

How about playing one of the very first text adventure game, Colossal Cave Adventure ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I poked around with it a little in the past, but never actually played it.  Checking to see if I had it installed I found I do.  Now I will probably waste tons of time with it.  Thanks. :angry: :p

In the old ones, you've got A Mind Forever Voyaging which is quite interesting.
I don't know much about the recent ones, but I've been told that there are many great games and authors today.

I forgot about this one even though it was on my list to try.  Thanks for the reminder.

Wow I guess there is a couple of apps called text fiction and twisty for android that are z-interpreters that allow the playing of classic and new Text adventures

I played around with one for a couple weeks a few years ago.

Moonmist - far from the hardest or most complex, but great atmosphere, and novel against-the-clock approach, with several possible culprits.

Back