The Case

Trist06

Still Fresh
Okay so I was wanting to buy a Pandora for a while and I have now scraped together enough for one, the problem is that I really don't like the silver coloured cases.

I remember reading somewhere that the old black cases were still available separately.

My two questions are.

1. If I ordered a 1ghz Pandora is it possible for you guys to fit it with the black case, id be happy to pay for labor,  i would really not be confident opening up a shiny new Pandora.

2. Are there any real downsides to the black cases, I seem to recall that the silver ones were more sturdier, is this the case.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot address #1.

As far as #2 : A large of number black cases had a tendency to crack at various places. I believe this is why the silver case was implemented. I also think the black cases were repainted with the silver painting.

Since this 'silver linning' I have not read any reports of cracked silver cases.

I would stick with silver.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
The silver cases have a few mold fixes that prevent cracking compared to the older black ones.. It's not just the old cases painted. Although the new silver cases are most likely is black without the paint. but they are shipped in that way so I doubt they can make any special arrangements to have some not painted that way.

I didn't like the Silver cases until I put my hands on one.. now I think it's pretty stylish.

Last edited by a moderator:
the black cases are considerably weaker and crack very easily i'd advise against getting one, if you wanted a black case you could carefully get your Pandora naked and respray the case any colour you like! i've seen a few awesome custom paint jobs.

And yes Trashy the silver cases ARE black without the paint, mine is starting to come off in some areas but then i use my pandy a lot

the black cases are considerably weaker and crack very easily i'd advise against getting one, if you wanted a black case you could carefully get your Pandora naked and respray the case any colour you like! i've seen a few awesome custom paint jobs.

And yes Trashy the silver cases ARE black without the paint, mine is starting to come off in some areas but then i use my pandy a lot
Sorry but I am confused....How can it be' black without the paint'? It's either black,silver or silver painted over black right?? Sorry but I must be missing something in the translation here. :blink:   :unsure:   :(

Last edited:
Sorry but I am confused....How can it be' black without the paint'? It's either black,silver or silver painted over black right?? Sorry but I must be missing something in the translation here. :blink: :unsure: :(
It is black underneath the silver paint.

Black plastic painted silver.
So were the old black cases painted over with a 'special 'silver paint ? Or were the new  black cases fabricated then painted silver. What I am trying to ask is if it was the same old black plastic painted with a crack preventing silver paint or was a entirely new,stronger, plastic fabricated then painted silver?  :huh:

It is what it is.

Last edited:
It's a different plastic compund, and a different moulding process from what i understand, it just happens to look black when unpainted. Having experienced both cases in the past i can tell you its definitely different plastic to the stuff used for my 1st batch case, much more solid feeling.

I think it is the same plastic, and what Trashy said, less cracking with the latest revision to the case molding.  The issue with the silver paint is there is no clear coat, so it is just black plastic, painted, whereas the old casing might have been hit with a thin coat of flat black over black plastic. 

afaik the black cases are painted black just like the silver cases are. They both start out as a black color

from memory i think my CC case was just clearcoat. i suppose it could have been painted black but i dont think it was. Its true that all cases are black underneath, whatever has changed in the manufacturing process the silver ones are a good deal more robust.

^

The robustments are the internal stressors removed.  The silver paint is thicker than the flat black.  That was definitely not a clear coat, over time it went clear with wear, down to the plastic.

As I recall, the original plan was to leave the cases unpainted,   but the molding process left ugly discolourations in the plastic so they were painted black to overcome the issue.

There should be some images of the unpainted cases floating about the net somewhere... 

I seem to recall seeing a picture with a very noticeable  square  of light coloured plastic around the logo on the lid for example.

I believe that's also what lead to the bowing in the bezel,  as the thickness of the paint was not taken into consideration when the lid pieces were designed.

- Neelix 

Neelix is right.

The black cases had to be painted black otherwise they would look ugly.

The silver cases have the same black plastic but are painted silver.

The reason the silver cases don't crack as easy is because the design has been slightly changed to strenghten the parts where cracks occured before.

TBH, I didn't like the silver colour, still don't really, but it bothers me much less than I thought it would.

If new case colours popped up, it'd be a hard call to decide if it was worth switching case now, I guess it really depends on what colour(s) become available :)

i've seen a few awesome custom paint jobs.
Have you got any links? I remember people talking about what type of paint etc., but AFAIR I never saw any news of somebody actually doing a successful paint job

Here are some but i cant find the two images i remember, one was a two-tone blue and silver job the other one had a flame effect, these where both done on the old style black cases but the images seem to have gone from the internet (i saw them years ago). so instead here are some others:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lb-i_VCD1tE/TPfEX79GS0I/AAAAAAAAA1Q/bYiLnmTRlxc/s1600/P1080975.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-v_jol35sc-c/TcztGx9yWTI/AAAAAAAAACk/_TxCkrBvG_4/s640/color2.jpg

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/150661_315450825223531_930434344_n.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6659/20101130003.jpg

Damn that blue looks good.

Okay so it looks like the old black cases aren't really a good option.

My next question is:

If I were to buy a case from DragonBox and paint it myself would I be able to send it back to you guys to fit it out with the 1ghz guts? or is this asking to much?
Should be possible.I painted my silver one as well, btw ;)

Back