The CrossPlane - A Handheld Wireless Video Controller

hailrazer

Staff member
I wanted to share with everyone a project that I have been working on with a fellow modding associate of mine. 

It's the CrossPlane :

"The Cross Plane" is the worlds first multi-platform WVI (Wireless Video Interface) gaming controller that brings a new angle into the way we play modern video games. Designed to support gaming platforms like XBox 360, PlayStation 3, OUYA and PC, "The Cross Plane" puts your favorite games from your favorite platforms right to the palm of your hand, all in beautiful Hi-Def quality!

Basically Chris Downing a friend and fellow modder showed me a project he had been working on for over a year. It was a Retro System controller that had a built in screen.  He wanted to take it to Kickstarter and wanted to know what I thought of it. I liked it but just thought it needed to be modernized to bring it to the next level where it could succeed. 

We then spent the next 4-5 months working on getting a prototype and a plan together. After lot's of hard work we were successful and we have our very first High Definition Wireless Video Gaming Controller, the CrossPlane.

We are live on Kickstarter and we really need the communities help to make it a success. If you like the project help out if you can.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1575970207/the-cross-plane-your-system-your-game-your-play

And the youtube video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH2vp8_ybdY

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great man, but I gotta say, I can't drop $350 for this. I might be able to if you add a touchscreen and up the resolution to 1080P. I get that its not easy to stream 1080p video though, so if it can't be done I understand.

Cheers to you, I just cant see myself buying one at this time

No problem , thanks for the comments.

Basically 1080p on a 7" screen is overkill. I have a 1080p 7" and then I have the 720p that is in the CrossPlane.  Really hard to tell the difference and  not worth the huge price increase.

And a touchscreen is kind of unnecessary as no PC emulators or games, or Xbox360 and PS3 games need touchscreen. 

Ooh!  Nice!  The Shield's contender!

Backed it!  :D

Thanks man I appreciate it   :)

No problem , thanks for the comments.

Basically 1080p on a 7" screen is overkill. I have a 1080p 7" and then I have the 720p that is in the CrossPlane. Really hard to tell the difference and not worth the huge price increase.

And a touchscreen is kind of unnecessary as no PC emulators or games, or Xbox360 and PS3 games need touchscreen.

Ooh! Nice! The Shield's contender!

Backed it! :D

Thanks man I appreciate it :)
But you're being too close minded about the usefulness of this. Yes, I will probably play games with it, but past that I'd like to use it as a replacement for my monitor on my PC. So, I can lay in bed and type documents for school or message my friends. I need to have some way of entering text. And as for resolution, I have a 4.65" 720p Galaxy S3 and a 5" 1080p Galaxy S4 and I can absolutely tell the difference. My S4 looks brilliant but my S3 looks blocky. I dont think you could really add a keyboard to it, but I need to have some way of entering text. Thats why I suggest a touchscreen. Resistive with a stylus would be "ok" and cheaper, but I would prefer a capacative. Again, its an AMAZING product, dont get me wrong, and I would love to be one of your first 1000 sales, but I just cant justify $350 for what it is currently. But, I think I would be willing to pay a little extra if it was a higher resolution and had a touchscreen. Hell, I would like it a lot more if it were a lerger display. (8 or 9 inches would be a lot better in my book)

But i recognize you all put a LOT of work into this. So while I'd /love/ to pick one of these up, I just cant justify it as it stands. :)

^^ No man!  I'd like it to be small not big.  And 720p is fine.  Look at the Shield, it has 720p and it's beautiful!

@EssoAir  -   No I'm not being close minded at all. 

The problem is if you ask 10 different people what they want you will get 10 different responses. :)

Some want 5" screens, some 7", some 9".  Some want sticks on top, some want d-pad on top. Some want square some want round.

We can't please everyone but we tried to make a device that once people get it in their hands they will love it.

And if you saw the screen in person you wouldn't care that it's not 1080p. People get hung up on resolution and numbers. There's more to it than that. This is an awesome screen that blows most screens away. Also a 1080p 7" screen would add $100 to the price easily. Not enough of them around that are affordable. 

If it's not for you, then it's just not. This wasn't made to be a replacement screen for a touchscreen PC. This is a Gaming device and that's who it's geared to. 

Very interested, I'm going to see how I can scrape some money together to back this.

I'm thinking this would be sweet to stream some emus from my PC.

This would run from a Mac right?

I currently have a Mac with emus running under a Win VM... That all go?

Good luck with the KS

Yes it will work with a Mac.  And VM shouldn't be a problem.

this looks pretty awesome I am broke but will share on twatter and farcebook!

the wii-u and shield must have really touched you guys...

[aside didn't know you were that old, it is safe to assume that many on these forums are at a similar age :unsure: ]

That's funny, when I read the other thread that is now closed, the first thing I thought was this sounds like something Hailrazer would be involved with.

I'm guessing Chris Downing is TechKnott of the WVI Handheld PS3 etc fame?

By the way ,good luck with the campaign. Hope it works out for you both

Great idea! 

I´m about to pay to get out of Craig´s queue so sadly I can´t pledge. But I will share on Facebook and will certainly be in the market for one at a later time.

Very impressive, I hope and expect you will do well!  :)

Cool Project, Kickstarter is a great platform to realize such projects and introduce them to the public. :)

But I already see Nintendos Lawyers are warming up, be careful!  :ph34r:

Back