The Current Status Section On The Official Page

Miknal

http://openpandora.org/

I think the current status section on the official site is a great idea to let us know how things are rumbling along, especially for those of us (like me) who don't want to check the unofficial blog/sift through the forum, and try and remember how long things will take, and what needs to be done.

But it hasn't been updated in a while, and that's a shame. Not just from an information point of view, but to people curious about the project, it makes it look like it has died. Which is not great PR.

Does anyone know if this will be updated in the future?

Last edited by a moderator:
An addition to your post:

Please do it liek this, every week someone of OpenPandora ltd. just updates the date by putting <19th April> (or the current date) under it, so even when nothing new happened we can see that.

@ the Pandora devs and everyone else who's involved:
I think that this is pretty ridiculous, with the site looking like it's from the 90's (no offense to the theme maker, but font sizes are all wrong and the layout is skewed etc imho) and nothing there being up-to-date.

I know that you devs are busy and can't keep the site up-to-date because of that, but then pick out someone in the community, a friend or someone else to update the page if you can't do it yourselves!
While you're at it, you could also consider getting a proper CMS like Drupal so that you get a nice looking layout, things like RSS feeds and easy article writing without having to put alot of effort into it.

I don't demand any more updates than we get now, because I read through the whole forum and the unofficial blog, but the press, new visitors and potential Pandora buyers only see the front page (when they Google for Pandora) and that press section page that barely contains any information. I myself just saw the Wiki link on the page just recently, because it's so goddamn small to see and not obvious at all; it doesn't look like a source of information but more like a link added as an afterthought. I have seen larger projects than the Pandora project fail because they weren't able to handle PR well enough.

PLEASE fix this problem; I think that it lies in everyone's interest here on the board that the Pandora becomes as huge a success as possible, and the OpenPandora home page is a major obstacle in the way of reaching that huge success we all want to happen.

'dflemstr' said:
I myself just saw the Wiki link on the page just recently, because it's so goddamn small to see and not obvious at all;
Wow , never seen the link to the wiki before. But no offense to the layout, that one is fine. But I do think some of the major updates should have been on the PR page (such a the vids of the working pandora in CNC case). And the main page should be updated more.

And btw because we are talking of this now:
-We never had the more proffesional CNC vid from ED (or anyone else with a HD camera).
-We never had our promised pic of the final keyboard layout.

Mithrildor said:
Wow , never seen the link to the wiki before. But no offense to the layout, that one is fine. But I do think some of the major updates should have been on the PR page (such a the vids of the working pandora in CNC case). And the main page should be updated more.

And btw because we are talking of this now:
-We never had the more proffesional CNC vid from ED (or anyone else with a HD camera).
-We never had our promised pic of the final keyboard layout.
IMHO, we've had enough updates as it is. But the rest of the world hasn't, and that's the problem.

And I DO think that the layout looks very unprofessional (although this is a very minor issue of course, and maybe just my opinion...)
For example:
- Links are almost invisible when you hover over them
- The 3D 'box' on the front page where the specs are written sticks out to the left but doesn't stick out to the right on the side of the Pandora photos
- The first photo that appears on the page is old and can never be viewed again after you have clicked one of the other photo links.
- The text is a very high-contrast black which doesn't fit to the background
- The text(s) on the other tabs has no marigin or padding, and looks like it was just pasted in there without formatting or anything
- The tabs on top don't match the overall color scheme
- The layout of the front page is a strict 3-column layout, where the news items are squeezed to the side and not spread out in the center like they should be

Initially, I thought it was that maybe they just didn't get it. At this point there is no way that folks smart enough to develop this device can't get it. I think they care and obviously someone was talented enough to do the page in the first place. So as not to start a flame fest or hurt anyones feelings I won't make a guess, but suffice it to say that a single, factual, authoritative update per week should not be too much to ask. An yes before someone asks, even it if is to wait 'waiting on widgets, expected arrival next week, no additional progress'. Appoint a lead, everyone email them their updates, consolidate, edit, post. Or post them to the wiki, whatever. What is the big deal?

The wiki link is at the end of the questions and answers section.

And before anyone else points out that a single source of information is out in both the unofficial blog and the official blog, I will do so.

People just want the front page to be nice and shiny for newbies to see, as the blogs do take some digging if you don't know where to look.

I quite like the front page, and think the format is fine. It's just always so out of date...

My RSS client gets updates from the unofficial blog, so they come to me when something new shows up. A good option for people like me who don't check the forums 20 times a day (let alone even every day). As long as the unofficial blog stays active, I don't really care what happens with the official page. (although as a patient fan of the premise of the Pandora, I would like to see it kept up-to-date at the very least to keep up a good appearance)

folks, i think this is just ok.

honestly, more pr before the first real shipment is out is not a good idea i think. however professional the frontpage might look, the thing to finish now is the first batch. make a better frontpage, attract more outside attention and the major effect will be more vaporware claims i fear.

the dates on the other hand could really be a bit more recent i guess.

Back