The GamePlay Framework

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
I was considering starting up a 3D game project and come across GamePlay3D. It's a Apache licesened 3D framework that targets both GNU/Linux and OpenGL/ES2. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it on the Pandora before I set about trying to compile it? 

Looks pretty promising, and it seems to be pretty robust considering it targets platforms like the Blackberry, Android, and  iOS. 

I am trying to compile it. But the makefile is kindof strange... By default, the Linux makefile use OpenGL, and I haven't found a way to trigger GLES2, so I have to dig on the Backberry or Android part. I haven't spent much time on it yet, been quite bussy with other stuff, but you are right, it seems promising !

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been poking at it myself today. No headway yet, but I do like the way they are doing things. Nice and simple.

Got it to compile. Nothing to test it with yet. The samples all rely on a strange version of and openal that I can't seems to find ARM sources for. I'll try to make a 'hello world' to compile against the lib and see what happens. 

If anyone has an libopenal.a file laying around I could sure use it.

How about libopenal.so?  I heard that a good version of openal with neon optimization is present in the "aquaria" PND.  Not sure exactly where that came from.

How about libopenal.so?  I heard that a good version of openal with neon optimization is present in the "aquaria" PND.  Not sure exactly where that came from.
I think there is also one in the AvP port, and also in SuperTuxKart, if it's openal-soft that we are taking about.

Openal is in the firmware now, too.

Development headers should be obtainable via opkg from the pandorafeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultimately that's the angle I took. I stopped trying to compile the same versions of the dependencies that came with the package and started compiling against the native Pandora libs. Now I've run into some more GL specific stuff in the x86 Linux build that I have to massage into GLES2. I'm not sure what the GLES equivalent of glxew.h is, but that's where I'm currently holed up. I'm getting there slowly but surely. It's hard to concentrate when the phone rings constantly. 

Hopefully once I get all the kinks worked out I can submit the changes back to the mainline and get ARM Linux devices officially supported by the maintainer.

If you have any problems that can not be resolved, or you struggle getting changes back to the mainline, let me know, I know the authors of this project and can prompt them if necessary.

Back