The good

moz

load *,8,1
Website
Visit site
We've all been busy discussing what the Pyra should have, and all the crazy ideas of mods Etc.

I think we need a thread about the Pyra we know we're going to get and what we like/love about it (or the idea of it)

Personally I cannot wait for the Pyra, I don't have a Pandora anymore, and never really thought my life would be drastically worse from its loss. But it really is, that device did everything. It helped me rush homework on the morning train ride, helped to fill the boring hours and minutes with its excellent array of games and emulators, browse the internet, all without having to charge halfway through the day.

Then the Pyra is going to be an improvement on this idea. It's simply perfect.

Please discuss what you look forward to :)

I'm looking forward to working nubs and more shoulder buttons, the in-built mobile Internet, processing power enough to listen to music whilst playing PS One games and the stupidly high pixel density personally.

If it ends up being mostly-standard Debian, I'll enjoy the fuller Linux environment and package management too. 

I'm looking forward to the higher-specs too. As much as I think my Pandora's cool, I keep finding myself going to my phone for Internet despite the lack of keyboard simply because I can browse the Internet faster. Here's hoping the improvements will result in me using a Pyra more than I did my Pandora!

Would be great if it can get a stronger SOC and a camera (yep, still hoping it will happen someway). It would replace my phone until the next Pandora/Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a 3DS :) it has a camera - actually 2 !! It can totally replace your phone :D
Are you joking? I already have one. The cameras doesn't hold a candle to recent phone cameras and it doesn't have flash.Mostly missing the fact that 3DS can't even make calls.

I think Moxie has you there hahaha.
I don't see how. Even if you were to go through all the specifics of a camera it's the truth.Or are you talking about the candle and flash thing? lol

No, I'm talking about what kind of camera we would get on the pandora if ED tried to get hold of one given financial and technical constraints...

Reason I'm interested in the pyra I've stated in random other threads in more or less words.

The pandora I feel *tries* to be a pocket computer. Some feel it does it well, I do not feel like I'm using a laptop when using the pandora, it feels something like a phone running linux. The speed, the screen size, resolution etc.

The reason I feel the pyra is going to rock is because of the added screen resolution and size will go a huge way in recreating the normal desktop experience. Larger amounts of ram and increased processor speed will allow a desktop environment that I'm comfortable with (don't care for xfce)

I would be fine if they scrapped the .pnd system all together as long as it's a familiar interface and standard repositories and package managers. Having a large enough internal storage that I can install apps to vs having everything installed to my home folder on sdcard. Having pnd won't hurt anything, but it does make it feel *less* like a standard desktop/laptop. I'm not used to everything being single file executable/data in any "normal" OS. But I can see it's benefit to new users.

standard hdmi vs propritary video connector means I can get a decent desktop like resolution if I hook up a monitor to it vs having a fuzzy low res image. It's fine for TV out, but who wants to use a computer on such a low resolution? I dock my work laptop at work and at home, and use it as a laptop when out at job sites. The pyra could do the same use case with a standard connector.

additional full sized usb will allow both a mouse and keyboard without an external hub hooked up to the device. My pyra will no longer look like a science project the pandora was, with 3-4 cables hooked to the device and directly to peripherals rather than adapters and converters and whatnot will also go a long way into recreating the experience of hooking a laptop to a mouse/keyboard/monitor.

The replaceable SoC port has me excited for community driven replacement cards if none are supplied directly from ED. Although I agree ARM is the best choice for the Pyra, I still want an x86 version for my own personal use, even if only minimal support would be given from the community, for my needs a baytrail drop in replacement would more meet what I want to do with it. If I can run all the same apps I use on my work/home computer, the "PC/mobile convergence" will be truly complete. Thats what I hope to get someday.

The replaceable SoC port has me excited for community driven replacement cards if none are supplied directly from ED. Although I agree ARM is the best choice for the Pyra, I still want an x86 version for my own personal use, even if only minimal support would be given from the community, for my needs a baytrail drop in replacement would more meet what I want to do with it. If I can run all the same apps I use on my work/home computer, the "PC/mobile convergence" will be truly complete. Thats what I hope to get someday.
I suspect that the X86 replacement board option idea may be looking at Cherry Trail instead of Bay Trail...

Back on topic...

My kids will like it when I get my Pyra.  Thats when they get my Pandoras.

No, I'm talking about what kind of camera we would get on the pandora if ED tried to get hold of one given financial and technical constraints...
Without trying to go into a 10 page debate repeat, having all these good quality features and hardware, I don't buy that a $20-30 rear camera is going to be some kind of negative tipping point.
it feels something like a phone running linux.
Funny, considering that the Pandora 2 is the one that can actually be used as a phone.

Funny, considering that the Pandora 2 is the one that can actually be used as a phone.
more accurate would be a 4inch tablet with a keyboard, but that just sounds weird. People say android is a "phone OS" when it obviously runs on things other than phones. They mean to say not a desktop OS.

more accurate would be a 4inch tablet with a keyboard, but that just sounds weird. People say android is a "phone OS" when it obviously runs on things other than phones. They mean to say not a desktop OS.
Or it's a phone OS because it was designed for phones?

-God Ginrai

From what I understand, the daughter board is going to be one of the most complicated (ie. 7 or so layer PCB) and expensive to produce parts of the Pyra. I think would be a big undertaking to produce a working replacement SoC board, maybe too big for it to be a community project.

From what I understand, the daughter board is going to be one of the most complicated (ie. 7 or so layer PCB) and expensive to produce parts of the Pyra. I think would be a big undertaking to produce a working replacement SoC board, maybe too big for it to be a community project.
Hence why, even though I appreciate the daughter board, I don't have high hopes for being able to switch over to an A80 when it becomes available. (unless EvilDragon creates an A80 daughter board and offers it as an upgrade)

-God Ginrai

I think, the idea of the daughterboard is to upgrade in a few years when the next generation of SoCs or the one after that is out.

I think, the idea of the daughterboard is to upgrade in a few years when the next generation of SoCs or the one after that is out.
The inverse could also be interesting, use the same daughter board in a device with different set of features/ports or even different form factor.

more accurate would be a 4inch tablet with a keyboard, but that just sounds weird. People say android is a "phone OS" when it obviously runs on things other than phones. They mean to say "not a desktop OS."
Or it's a phone OS because it was designed for phones?

-God Ginrai

and also tablets

Android is an operating system based on the Linux kernel and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

My stance remains that android was designed for working on multiple hardware platforms due to the thick HAL and basically a java virtual machine running on top of a linux kernel. Phones were just one of the targets, but mainly desktops aren't touch, so "not a desktop OS"

Back