The Gp32 To Gp2x Crossover

Cyclops

I *loved* my GP32, but now I have all this storage space on my card, and people are finding cheaper and cheaper cards. I love emulation I really do, but really a crave badly drawn sprites. Do these games only exist in binary form? I know it would be fun to look at the old GP32 Magazines.

I noticed that the GP2X has some crossovers with the GP32 file archive namely BOR and Doom (and maybe smashgp :)) and quake WADs added can these not be hard linked and updated.

BTW anyone else not like the large text on the GP2X archives

Talk about random and meaningless.

- Alex

Edit:

Cyclops posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:40 PM said:
I'm saying that 500 games, of various quality, will fade into obscurity, and thats a shame, esp when, most of these tiny programs were someones love, programs I got exited about more than any "GTA Barnsley". People used to talk about backward compatibility which I always though was a little stupid. OTH the GP32 still has a lot of programs on it. It would be a crying shame if these would become only available though emulation. Maybe I want ports, or the source of something, I just don't want then to *die*. I know that mini games designed for the GP32 would fit like a glove on the GP2X, becuase of the controls/screen dimentions etc. The GP32 is just a piece of hardware its the software that made it live. I imagine I will be saying the same of the GP2x in about 2 years.

The other thing I'm saying is the file repositries for the GP32 and the GP2X have crossovers. Doom/Bor Data(1.29GB of it) all of these will work whether it is on the GP32 or the GP2X. Isn't it blindingly obvious to have them in the same place, or to have links between them.
Now go back to your first post and see which one makes sense. I happen to own a GP32 and not a GP2X. I 100% agree with what you said. Homebrew games have a huge sentimental value, and they should be carried over and shared to as many different platforms as possible. The hardware is just the canvas, it's all about what you paint on that canvas.

I apologize for misunderstanding your post and being an ass.

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Feb 22 2006 at 03:40 AM said:
Talk about random and meaningless.

- Alex

LOL and yet you bothered to reply.

I see by your number you are unlikely to own both a GP32 and a GP2X. I'm sorry that my interest isn't the latest GBA emulator, or perfect snes becuase its not. I liked the little homemade games and demo's, becuase there were some little belters in there. It would be nice to see some of them updated than eventually relegated to emulation.

I also mention the data files sat in the GP32 section that work on both the GP2X and the GP32, should be in both. Do you not think so?

iignotus posted on Feb 22 2006 at 04:11 AM said:
This thread delivers.

You got Gentoo working yet. LOL

gaterooze posted on Feb 22 2006 at 05:42 AM said:
Cyclops said:
I see by your number you are unlikely to own both a GP32

Er, you might wanna check his sig :lol:

I turn sigs off.

Cyclops posted on Feb 22 2006 at 01:24 AM said:
I *loved* my GP32, but now I have all this storage space on my card, and people are finding cheaper and cheaper cards. I love emulation I really do, but really a crave badly drawn sprites. Do these games only exist in binary form? I know it would be fun to look at the old GP32 Magazines.

I noticed that the GP2X has some crossovers with the GP32 file archive namely BOR and Doom (and maybe smashgp :)) and quake WADs added can these not be hard linked and updated.

BTW anyone else not like the large text on the GP2X archives
Try the old GOR, that has some terrible sprites.

I'm confused. What exactly is he asking for? Ports of gp32 games?

I'm saying that 500 games, of various quality, will fade into obscurity, and thats a shame, esp when, most of these tiny programs were someones love, programs I got exited about more than any "GTA Barnsley". People used to talk about backward compatibility which I always though was a little stupid. OTH the GP32 still has a lot of programs on it. It would be a crying shame if these would become only available though emulation. Maybe I want ports, or the source of something, I just don't want then to *die*. I know that mini games designed for the GP32 would fit like a glove on the GP2X, becuase of the controls/screen dimentions etc. The GP32 is just a piece of hardware its the software that made it live. I imagine I will be saying the same of the GP2x in about 2 years.

The other thing I'm saying is the file repositries for the GP32 and the GP2X have crossovers. Doom/Bor Data(1.29GB of it) all of these will work whether it is on the GP32 or the GP2X. Isn't it blindingly obvious to have them in the same place, or to have links between them.

Well a lot of the recent games for the gp32 were fenix games so they work already on the gp2x, although a it slow. I don't think ED will be getting rid of the gp32 archive any time soon for people who still like to boot up their gp32s and play. But apart from fenix games and games that people will port, verything else is probably going to stay gp32 only.

Gruntfuggly posted on Feb 22 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
Why not just keep your GP32 and keep running the original software on it? I don't plan on getting rid of mine...

The reaon for this post was I was, cleaning up my GP32 software. Recently I had to get rid of my Nintendo64 so I sold it to gamestation(£16) with about 10 Games, only 2 of which they would except. The rest went in the bin. I don't plan on getting rid of my GP32 anytime soon, but I know its only a matter of time.

CyberAxe posted on Feb 22 2006 at 06:20 PM said:
what we need is a godlike programmer to create a GP32 emulator and save the day

Emulation is a good way of *preservation* how about *evolution*. Hell I think I get more exited about the emulators than I do about the games. These games are only a couple of years old, and arn't done by large corperations, these were done part time by people in their bedrooms(One of the main reason I love/care about them). Wouldn't it be better all around it these were rejuvinated/rescued, before emulation is the only choice, Let the games live.

I let my GP32 die a natural death. After MAME and DrMDx came out, I haven't touched my gp32_console

I somehow can't bear to part with it though ...

my two gp32 are going to be used somewhat still. They can still play a two hour movie pretty well! Also i will gold plate my BLU and give it chains. and it can be the OG32.

i was all hyped up for the gp2x launch!
Somehow i got the idea in my dead head that "woah! 4x the power must mean 4x the possibilities!!" but really, i kind of forgot that its like painting on a canvas (as mentioned previously) with new paints and a brand new canvas of strange material (with some bugs sticking and crawling around on it).

Please, quote me on that, i will be happy :)

Seriously now though, I got rid of my gp32 with no hesitation because i thought "now, think gp32 but better!" and it was easy to part with it.

NOW, i use my gp2x LESS than my gp32. The gp32, even though the cards were pathetically small and not much use for video etc... i had my fun with nes and megadrive and thats all i needed.

When i sold that, i got my gp2x. Drmdx had just been released, its great! smooth as anything. No nes just yet...
Even with all this extra card space and power, the gp32 in my view is a better gaming console. The gp2x is a better video and music player right now than the gp32 is at a gaming device.

My gripes with the gp32 were card space, thats all really. The screen was ultra sharp (blu+) and no hairs inside or dust getting in, and no wavey lines etc etc.
And it booted in like 3 seconds.

For me, the gp32, also with its vast library of strange games etc is much better than the 2x. And i think people know this and think this aswell.
All in good time the gp2x will be SO much better, and after the compo is done, we will see more possibilities i think.
The GP32 will never die!! In my eyes it will always live on, just like the NES has. The only reason that it died with me is because i gave up on it and wanted something better.

Somehow though, i actually miss the little bugger, turning it on, playing a bit of quake.. any rom problems with drmd i can just turn it off and start again in a few seconds.
With the gp2x though, its more of a chore to have to do this.

My advise, if you want gp32 stuff, stay with your gp32, or get one!
I would like gp32 apps on the gp2x, but i think people should still keep them only for the gp32 until the gp2x is great enough to effectively run the apps (non gp32 emulator, unique gp2x version of the games and apps, like toby drum man X for example).

KEEP THE GP32 ALIVE! :p

Last time I picked up the gp32 was when I had an urge to play smashgp. I had completely forgotten how loose the stick felt compared to the gp2x. I think the gp2x's stick is great and it seems even better after a little reminder of how bad the gp32's stick was.

Back