The Hunt For The Ultimate Sd Price

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
I think it would be cool that the pandora section gets its own sd card deal topic :)
since the pandora's uses 2 sd slots for memory, and that you cant do anything without sd cards, i think it would be wise to make this topic :)
Lets post deals here!
this is a good deal:
35 dollars for a 16gb class 6 with lifetime warranty :)
CODE
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12356

Post even cheaper deals here!

PS: if moderators decide to move this, or close this, then so be it. i think its a good idea, but maby they would classify this topic as spam, or something unuseful...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheap does not always = good.

It's better to just buy from a site you trust I find.

We should have an ebay warning about fake SD cards too.

There exists places that are both cheap and trustworthy, but it mostly depends on where you live. Here in the States, Newegg.com is probably your cheapest safest bet to find low cost, and easily returnable SD cards of any size and/or quantity you want. They have sales all the time, and often have free shipping. For example, recently I got a 16GB card for 27$ with free shipping, which isn't bad.

I know there are sites like Newegg in other countries as well, and it would probably be a better idea to list sites by region that people around here know and trust, who also happen to have good prices on SD cards. If I were in Europe, I'd probably buy mine from Craigix or EvilDragon. I know I could find them elsewhere cheaper, but I could never get the same level of customer service.

NewEgg is a good place to buy cheap stuff.

eBay is also an alternative, but make sure you use PayPal and try buying from a US seller or whatever your country is... Unless your country is China

If you EVER find that you ordered an item and the next day or at any time you see the seller is not registered... Contact the seller and file a claim to PayPal that the user is not registered.. Do not close the claim until you receive your item and you know it works.. For SD cards, try to find one with brand name and beware the one's that have the seller's name slapped on with Microsoft Paint.

Google Product also works :D

'craigix' said:
Cheap does not always = good.

It's better to just buy from a site you trust I find.

We should have an ebay warning about fake SD cards too.

Here it is : Never buy any type of memory card (or any IT product) from eBay

That will insure that prices stay low for guys like me :lol: For what is worth, I expect that I have bought 90% of my various memory cards from eBay over the last several years (probably 20 or more of various types). I tend to buy the cheapest known brand. Ebay has a feedback system. Check it before you buy. If someone has negative feedback about fake memory, use caution before buying from them. The PSP forums are filled with these types of discussions about Sony memory sticks not showing up as Sony. Frankly, I don't care if it shows up as Bob's Memory as long as it holds the advertised amount of storage and performs according to the advertised specification. I don't mean to make light of the previous poster, but the amount of FUD concerning memory on eBay is orders of magnitude than actual fakes and I believe that if the 'fakes' were tested many if not most of those would still perform like the real McCoy.

buy a name brand. Real life example:

Bought the cheapest card, was an Adata 4gb card. Worked ok until the plastic casing fell apart. Sent back to get repaired and it disappeared in the mail. Also have bought sandisk and kingston, never had a problem yet.

Basically i find you get what you pay for with memory cards. You go cheap and it going to be a slower and lower quality part.

As far as the UK goes, Play.com's own-brand cards are great quality and very low in price. As far as I have been able to find, their 16GB Class 4 SDHC Cards, at £17.99 apiece, are one of the best prices in the UK at the moment. 7dayshop.com are also quite good.

In both cases, though, prices have gone up by £10 to £15 on particular brands (I've spotted it on both Kingston and PNY, myself, but I have no doubt that others are similarly affected) in recent weeks. Something worth bearing in mind.

Raz said:
eBay is also an alternative, but make sure you use PayPal and try buying from a US seller or whatever your country is... Unless your country is China
eBay is almost entirely not a realistic option at all for purchasing flash media nowadays, and buying from within your own country most often does not help, as an awful lot of sellers of fake media either claim to be within various countries, or have purchased such media from wholesalers (either accidentally or on purpose - both occur quite regularly) to sell from within their own country. Additionally, PayPal are quite well known to be of little help (see URL below).

I should note that I agree with Craig about the eBay warning thing - since most "deals" on there tend to be for fakes and those fakes often cost about the same as genuine cards from sellers such as those mentioned in this thread already, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason to go there for flash media. :p

SOSFakeFlash is a good place to read up on that stuff;

CODE
http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/

Highly recommended. :p

Ahh man, I'm really jonesing for SD cards right now, too I used to have a 32 gb sdhc card, but it wasn't mine, it was the science departments. :( i figured i would keep it for quite a whole though but that isnt the case

as for sd cards on ebay: i bought 4 cards from different sellers, all 8 gb. none of them were big sellers selling lots, just people selling used sd cards. none of them were nonworking, you've just got to make sure you're not buying from someone whos job it is to sell sd cards on ebay but rather normal people who dont want them anymore

Future Shop, Kingston 16GB class 6: $18
Bought them as a boxing day special after Christmas.

As said, DX, ebay, never. Since we are still waiting for the Pandora, it makes sense to wait a little longer for SD cards.

CODE
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=68&name=Flash-Memory

Like checking this page if you are in the USA a couple of times a week, and looking for deals. I got a 16gb Patriot for $17.

'Prometheus' said:
As far as the UK goes, Play.com's own-brand cards are great quality and very low in price. As far as I have been able to find, their 16GB Class 4 SDHC Cards, at £17.99 apiece, are one of the best prices in the UK at the moment. 7dayshop.com are also quite good.
It may just be me, but... two of those cards have corrupted on me. Losing 16GB of data was painful to say the least.

I bought two of these for £39.98

CODE
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=104379

They've gone up in price now though, from £19.99 to £28.99. Keep an eye on that link, the price might come down again

For us Canadians:

Newegg.ca. I've only ordered once from here before, but they have good deals now and then:

CODE
http://www.newegg.ca/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=68&name=Flash-Memory

NCIX.com. My favourite dealer, used them for years, wish they had a store near me:

CODE
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=1310

'borgqueenx' said:
maby think about europian people who want to buy a cheap sd card as well. we cant buy stuff from sites that dont ship overseas.
+1

For those of us in the US. witha Sams Club membership, I noticed the other day that they were selling Toshiba Class 4 16GB SDHC's for $29.99. Checked with Chip and he basically said a class 4 should be fine as anything (video bitrates etc.) that needed a faster rate IN the Pandora might be more than the Pandora could handle anyway. I haven't seena review on this card yet..but I will be looking for anything I can trust that's at least a Class 4 and in that price range, and the ones in that range on Newegg are class 6's from companies that seem to have a small but persistant amount of DOA or Dead Real Quick reports...THAT makes me too nervous to take the time of dealing with it. I'd rather be able to just drive back to the store and have them hand me a new one that day. Don't get me wrong. I love Newegg! But when the time comes that I need that card..I want it to be quick, cheap and simple to deal with a problem (never had a DOA/DRQ card though thankfully)

I do have a 1GB microSD in an adaptor, I know that will be relatively slow. It should still be fast enough for some video though as I use it in my DVD player card slot to watch TV shows when I need to catch up..so really speed isn't gonna be that much of an issue over capacity and price is it? Like Chip said it's just gonna load stuff from card to RAM anyway...

I've never had a WD hard drive fail, ever. I've got an old 10gb one, that's made it through about three or four computers, that have broken themselves. The drive must be 10 - 15 years old now.

Don't buy the cheap shit, buy something that's gonna last, if you're like me, you're too lazy to back up constantly, you want to put trust in that memory.

That said, Play.com have some really cheap 16gb cards for £18 each with free P&P, (that's like $25?). Maybe expensive for you guys, but with our import taxes, it's hella cheap.

Back