The iCP coding competition is 'unfair'

Wootson

For some reason this competition seems so out of place. One of the main developers of a console is giving out money and goodies for developing something for a third-party "eco-system". In all seriousness: why isn't this competition being held for the Pandora? Or is that also in the making? :p

Yet another application for iOS or Android is not going to make any difference in selling more iControlpads.

I'm fine not having a competition here : the one organizing this compo still have to sent prizes for his previous compo somewhere in 2007... (ask Jeff if you dont believe me)

I'm fine not having a competition here : the one organizing this compo still have to sent prizes for his previous compo somewhere in 2007... (ask Jeff if you dont believe me)

Spreading the same usual shit I see. What do you hope to achieve with you constant negativity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Spreading the same usual shit I see.
As in "I'm lying" ?

Last time I had news about that it was still true. Prove me wrong.

What do you hope to achieve with you constant negativity?
You're treating your 2 childs differently. I'm trying to make the follower of the poor child feel a bit less bitter....

EDIT: if my goal was to harm you, I would have posted that in your iCP thread with facts, proofs and links to the kind of reply you give to him when he beg for his _well earned_ price.

Hey, how'd I get pulled into this? .. we have enough current issues and mud, so lets try to keep this one out with sleeping dogs

Whose trolling who here.. I think sebt3 just trolled Craig here, using me as ammunition ;)

The facts on that count were..

i) It was said I'd get a Pandora for the prize to gbax2007 compo

ii) I did get a mk2 dev ujnit (red bare pcb) and later a cased dev unit

Complications with such a thing..

i) others got dev units who did not have to win a compo to do so; I mean, was the dev unit for firmware work, or for a prize (that no one else had to win.)

ii) winning a public compo, sort of implies getting a release unit, not a beta dev unit; ie: Consider if I was not a firmware dev, I'd have gotten one anyway

To C's favor -- a Pandora is probably worth more than what the original compo was offering.. Google finds:

3rd place prize of a next-gen handheld of his choice (GP2X, PSP or DS) + accessories

--> http://gbax.gp2x.de/gbax2007.html

To another point, a pandora _dev unit_ does have considerably value, they cost quite a bit per unit since they were not mass produced.

So in the end, whatever; I figured I would get my paid for unit(s), plus a gbax compo winning unit I'd give to a buddy, plus the dev units before all that to help working on the firmware.

But if the dev untis count as my prize, fine, whatever. Its one of those fights not worth having, since its mincing over vague details, and no one comes out a winner in such a thing, just hurt feelings all around.

Thems the facts, make of it as you will. (And Craig, don't go thinking I'm spreading rumours over such things, or we'd have had this discussion years ago. I don't gossip much. But no doubt, you'll blame me for everything thats ever gone wring in your life anyway, right? :)

jeff

You know its funny.. things get slow, boards get slow, is because things are going on behind the scenes. But with perceived quiet, I guess the requirement is for.. drama to erupt!

Alas, I need more time to keep up :)

jeff

You know its funny.. things get slow, boards get slow, is because things are going on behind the scenes. But with perceived quiet, I guess the requirement is for.. drama to erupt!

Alas, I need more time to keep up :)

jeff
Thats it in a nutshell.

Just to make sure: I didn't create this thread myself. I just placed a comment on the competition thread and it got separated from there. By no means I'm against any competition whatsoever, but I just find it rather strange why Craig would run an Android competition instead of a Pandora competition.

Also, there will be a Pandora Rebirth competition held by me soon ;)

Great news!

Wow. This is absurd.

So. Craig's not allow to promote his product to try and ensure good Christmas sales and a bit of a pay day for a change?... and your reason, because you want stuff for the Pandora?

Additional iOS and Android applications, plus additional recognition will make a significant difference to the iControlPad. It's got every potential to be a mass-market, highly popular and widely supported device. But it's an uphill battle to overcome the catch 22 situation that it generally finds itself in.

Developers don't want to develop for the iControlPad if it doesn't have a diverse, established user base. Users don't want the iControlPad if it doesn't have a wide variety of apps. This competition is very much justified, and should be encouraged and supported. Seeing it as a negative thing simply because it's not helping the Pandora is absurd.

Edit: Ahh, Wootson. I was not aware of this post being split from another thread. It does seem rather more harsh when taken out of context... a reality I'm *ahem* all too familiar with!

Just to make sure: I didn't create this thread myself. I just placed a comment on the competition thread and it got separated from there. By no means I'm against any competition whatsoever, but I just find it rather strange why Craig would run an Android competition instead of a Pandora competition.

Also, there will be a Pandora Rebirth competition held by me soon ;)

Great news!

Yes, I moved it here as it was off topic with the iCP, but I didn't want to delete your post or want the iCP thread to derail so I moved it here.

I think there might be a legitimate question in regards to a contest for the icp. How are you going to judge the applicants? For example program A adds support and program B adds support, A wins the compo simply because its a more popular application with nothing to do with it having icp support. I would not be surprised if some emulator wins it rather than a homebrew app.

I think there might be a legitimate question in regards to a contest for the icp. How are you going to judge the applicants? For example program A adds support and program B adds support, A wins the compo simply because its a more popular application with nothing to do with it having icp support. I would not be surprised if some emulator wins it rather than a homebrew app.

It would be better if you asked this in the correct thread, but as always we will watch what people like and try the apps and see what we think on a number of levels, hacking in support is one thing, but adding very polished and advanced support (like SGD) is very different.

It would be better if you asked this in the correct thread, but as always we will watch what people like and try the apps and see what we think on a number of levels, hacking in support is one thing, but adding very polished and advanced support (like SGD) is very different.

Last i checked the other thread didnt allow replies

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. It's not "unfair" to anyone to organize a competition for operating system X or peripheral X.

I reckon Craig has very good reasons for this. But then again, we might not get a straight answer as to why this is being done. Maybe it's because there are hardly any Pandora's to sell at the moment.

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. It's not "unfair" to anyone to organize a competition for operating system X or peripheral X.

I'll happily change it, if you've got a better suggestion. It certainly misled me, so I came in with guns blazing!

I reckon Craig has very good reasons for this. But then again, we might not get a straight answer as to why this is being done. Maybe it's because there are hardly any Pandora's to sell at the moment.

My understanding is that after Craig has fulfilled all his orders for the Pandora he will no longer be making / selling them. Don't Panic though, the Pandora will be made / sold by Evil Dragon and his German Company Open Pandora GmbH.

It would be really great if Craig could come out with some kind of clear and unambiguous statement relating to his future involvement / commitment to the Pandora project and clarify things like if he'll be reselling ED's units in the UK etc.

Back