The -= Left 4 Dead 1/2 =- Thread

Nintendo

Nintendo Switch
original.jpg

Looks Like Left 4 Dead 2 is Running Officially on Linux

When tech guru and Linux fan Michael Larabel visited Valve yesterday, he promised more info and pics than simply saying Steam was coming to Linux. Looks like he's come through.

Larabel has posted images of Left 4 Dead 2 running natively on Linux, and says a release of Steam itself - likely in the form of a beta at first - should be later this year.

In addition to Left 4 Dead 2, selected because of its "stable code base", he says Valve will be bringing other titles to the platform as well.

We're still waiting to hear back from Valve for an official comment on the matter.

http://kotaku.com/5905251/looks-like-left-4-dead-2-is-running-officially-on-linux

Hmmm...Interesting developments here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, this combined with the Portal 2 SDK I could essentially drop windows completely, assuming of course other games become available for the Linux client.

Is this just streamed to the Vita? Couldn't you just do this with any handheld with some streaming software?

Seems to use software packeged into the OS to stream over 3g, nice feature.

What's it streaming from? If this is possible then maybe streaming dreamcast, Saturn, ps2 and GameCube etc etc would be possible?

Streaming over 3G? Wouldn't that be really, really bad for lag?

I assumed he was streaming from the room next door.

Streaming over 3G? Wouldn't that be really, really bad for lag?

I assumed he was streaming from the room next door.

a yeah, in this demo he is., i just noticed that people where talking about it being possible and got mixed up.

Reminds me of when they had Crysis running on maximum settings on an iPad through streaming software, the idea is sound it's just implementing it, I've made many a mention of streaming games to the Pandora and lag is always the biggest issue.

Although, those scientists did recently make that super duper wifi thing where they claimed it could transfer several BD films per second, so if/when that becomes affordable it'd make streaming games to any supported device a breeze.

Back