The Mobile Site Sucks!

Wolfsclaw

can't be longer than 2 months right?
Website
Visit site
With the old board, the same board that appeared on desktop PCs appeared on mobile devices such as the iPhone. This worked pretty well.
This is how it looks now, and no, it's not because Safari on the iPhone sucks, it's because of this new board:
gp32x5.png

Viewing a profile. No search for recent posts available. No avatar viewing possible. Not much possible at all.

gp32x1.png

Main page. No images. No "Last posted" topic. Just blue text on white background. What the hell?

gp32x2.png

Viewing a thread. Ehhhh, are you serious?

gp32x3.png

At least you can see the quotes clearly. No poll viewable, of course :)

gp32x4.png

Gotta look twice what's pinned and what not.

Dear admins,
please change this awfully crappy mobile design.
AT LEAST give us an option on the mobile site to switch to the normal design. I didn't find a button anywhere for this, in fact this is the first website i run across where this doesn't seem to be an option (in contrast to google, amazon etc. all of which the mobile sites are also crap, but by far not as bad as this one.)

Ok, now im happy that opera mini is given the full version, its not 100% functional, but ok.

Btw on opera mini, there's 2 things that nag me:
* it doesnt minimize categories.
* jump to last unread post only jumps to correct page, but not post.

If there were a proper mobile/lofi version i might use it even on the desktop.

Yeah the new forum bugs me too on my desktop pc. Not only does the rep system piss me off, I find the design and layout sort of buggy and unorganized.

+1000000

Mods/Hando please do something about this, it's awful, at least give us the option to see the full site. It's not gonna look good when the main pandora forum looks awful on the pandora.

How to turn the lo-fi version off: (for admin only)

Go to AdminCP -> Look & Feel tab -> IP.Board Lo-Fi -> Press this then choose Manage User Agent Mapping -> Scroll till you see iPhone and uncheck the checkbox then press Save.

Thanks.

Could someone report this post so that a mod can see this? I can't do it cos of the lo-fi version :/

Nova said:
How to turn the lo-fi version off: (for admin only)

Go to AdminCP -> Look & Feel tab -> IP.Board Lo-Fi -> Press this then choose Manage User Agent Mapping -> Scroll till you see iPhone and uncheck the checkbox then press Save.

Thanks.

Could someone report this post so that a mod can see this? I can't do it cos of the lo-fi version :/

If it's for the Admin only, then we'll be waiting a while, unfortunately, as Hando is a pretty busy guy, I think. Not to mention he may not get asked. I was going to report your post, but it says "This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectional content, etc and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons." Hopefully a mod will read this anyways.

In the meantime, I've found a workaround, which only works if your iPhone/iPod Touch is jailbroken (like so many things, sadly): in Cydia, search for "uafaker." It's a user-agent switcher, by default it makes websites think that you're using firefox. You do need SBSettings to use it, but in case you don't already have that, I'm sure it installs it as a dependency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump. This must be addressed, it's such an easy fix!

I've sent ED a PN on gp2x.de , he's an admin and runs the server here at GP32x.

Thanks for the workaround fix though! This comes in handy :)

Yessss! It's even more readable now!

Please can you _enable_ the mobile site for Android? I don't see why you'd want all the extra crap being downloaded anyway, and I certainly wouldn't want it to count against my transfer limit!

Orkie said:
Please can you _enable_ the mobile site for Android? I don't see why you'd want all the extra crap being downloaded anyway, and I certainly wouldn't want it to count against my transfer limit!

With the mobile site you cannot tell if there is a new post or not in a topic as far as I can tell :S.

iPhone Touch is a different setting in the skin options, ED will need to disable it for the touch as well.

to ED - the best thing to do is to switch off the forcing of mobile devices to lo-fi skin (same process as described in above post) and enable members to choose their skin. this way everyone is happy :) i just done this on my site and it is much easier.

UPDATE- You can find the allow change skin option at Tools & Settings > System Settings > Members > User Profiles. Then choose Yes to first option, users can then choose between the normal and lo-fi skin at the bottom of each page.

Orkie said:

What good mobile phone plan has a transfer limit anymore?

Nova said:
What good mobile phone plan has a transfer limit anymore?
Very true, they usually have incredibly small fair usage policies instead. I remember having an argument with a certain cellular provider with that. It went like this:

How much can I download per month?
It's unlimited.
Really?
Yes.
So I can use it for things like Skype and internet radio?
No, we charge for those services.
How about sites such as Youtube?
We charge for access to that service.
So it's not really unlimited then?
We provide free unlimited access to non-chargable services
Which include?
Access to the internet & email
But, Skype is internet based, and so is internet radio, hence the "internet" part of its name.
No, those are streaming services. We charge for access to streaming services.
But I can download an unlimited amount of webpages and emails?
Yes
With no restrictions?
Yes

I later found out that the T&Cs stated that the maximum download per month was 1GB, but the customer services person said that was fine and didn't need explaining as it was so high that hardly anyone would reach that amount. When I escalated the call I had another head smack moment before cancelling the contract - "You have to understand that when we say unlimited, we don't actually mean unlimited. We mean that its just that high that a typical user would rarely if ever reach that amount per month.".

Back