The Most Optimised Divx Player

Dozer

Efram the retarded rabbit
Website
lawrencewithaw.tumblr.com
Right, I'd have thought that how smoothly a video would play on an older pc like this one (P2 350 with 352megs ram and a 64 meg gfx card and half decent sound) would depend on how optimised the video codec it. However, if I use "avi preview" then the video is pretty much perfect, but if I play in windows media player it's really jerky. The problem with avi preview is it doesnt like to play the whole film a lot of the time. I don't fancy re-encoding at a lower resolution so could anyone reccomend a highly optimised player that should playback ok on this pc?

Edit: btw, the official player doesn't like to work, and anyway it over wrights the divx 4 codec in virtualdub with divx 5, i need version 4 for gp movies (and I have reasons for not using xvid).

Thanks, I'm checking out bsplayer. Yeah I agree winamp is turd, I just use it for mp3s now B).

The official divx player used to work... just doesnt now :blink:.

Argh, bsplayer looks like what I want. But it doesnt work the same way as the official divx player doesn't.

I get sound but just these lines going across the screen.

Bsplayer.jpg

Btw, its alligned ok on my screen, just screenies make it look wonky.

Anyone had this problem b4? It plays ok in avi preview and windows media player :blink:.

Edit: Argh its not even showing whats going wrong in the screen shot :angry:. Its just a load of horizontal lines that are coloured according to what should b showing on the screen.

Fixed. Needed to install ffdshow :D.

Edit: And thanks guys works perfectly :D. So does the offcial divx player. Wonder why media player cant work like this :S.

because, my dear friend, mediaplayer is some sucky microsoft program like internet explorer they put in that windows thingy to get "a whole consumer package" ... -_- :p

gotta hand it to m$ though, it's convenient for people that want everything in one package and don't know a lot of computers ...

however, forgetting the uninstall button is not funny :(

I know you already have your player, but I just wanted to chuck some Zoom Player propaganda around ;)

Well...
It's a good player!

Divx and Quicktime (even though im a Windows guy) own everything. I hate seeing those blocky images in WMP, and those other players.

media player classic. Can play Quicktime and Real player files, and pretty much anything else. Can also play MPEG2 without any external codecs, along with DVDs. As a bonus, it also has manual aspect ratio correction, flash file support (thats very handy), the interface is extremely minimal (its a copy of Windows Media Player 6.4), and it loads instantly.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ackage_id=84358

EDIT: As for actual codecs, I use a mix of XVID, ffdshow alpha, OGGDS, and 3vix for .mp4 files.

Back