The Pandora And Usb

ljones

(Apologies, I mean DVB-T, not DTV-T!).

Hello all :)

I was just wondering - would it be possible to make the pandora work with DVB-T USB 2 devices at all? If that's possible in theroy it would be possible to use the pandora as a tiny digital freeview TV or VCR!

ljones

[Edited Title and moved - Mod]

ljones said:
I was just wondering - would it be possible to make the pandora work with DVB-T USB 2 devices at all? If that's possible in theroy it would be possible to use the pandora as a tiny digital freeview TV or VCR!
I suggest you give this a read.

Last edited by a moderator:
.Gogeta§§J4BR. said:
it would be awesome to watch hdtv here
I suppose the pandora has enough horsepower, right?
the screen isn't high enough resolution, 800*480 < 1280*720. though saying that 720P down sampled would look better than pal/ntsc DVB because its not interlaced

any usb DVB-T device with Linux drivers should work. but lickly not when the Pandora is released

Our portable USB DTV tuners are 1seg though, does that make any difference or is the post-usb-connector protocol pretty much the same?

I would think that you'd be better off running some kind of TV backend on a PC using a DVB device and streaming to your Pandora via Wifi (slingbox-esque). If you were hoping to pick up TV signals on the go, think again. It's hard enough to aim an antenna in order to pick up digital signals while you're stationary (speaking from experience, built a DB4 TV antenna clone).

quadomatic said:
....If you were hoping to pick up TV signals on the go, think again. It's hard enough to aim an antenna in order to pick up digital signals while you're stationary (speaking from experience, built a DB4 TV antenna clone).
I think that's quite right. Digital TV signals aren't like the old analogue ones whereby you could get away with a bit less signal and still get something watchable; with digital terrestial TV signals there's a fine line beteween getting nothing, a broken picture and a complete picture. Especially in the UK since digital terrestial is transmitted alongside analogue so the power of the digital transmissions is lower and where I live, the picture breaks up at the drop of a hat.

Mind you I wouldn't mind giving fixed (i.e not wandering about) DVB-T a go :) . At the very least the pandora could almost be the world's smallest DVB-T recorder ;) !

ljones

Depends on where you live. I live near a tv antenna thing and I get perfect picture on my pc via dvbt with like half meter long antenna

Joppu said:
Depends on where you live. I live near a tv antenna thing and I get perfect picture on my pc via dvbt with like half meter long antenna
It's not the size that counts: it how you use it (more specifically, where you point it...no innuendo intended)

Back