"the pnd is already mounted" (disclaimer: I´m a noob)

trevornot

i get the following when I try to run Zdoom, which i have ran for months with no issues

=======================================================================================
PND : /media/mmcblk0p1/zdoom.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/zdoom
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : runscript.sh
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
WARNING The PND is already mounted, using it
+++++++
Loopback devices :
/dev/loop0: [b301]:147 (/media/mmcblk0p1/zdoom.pnd)
Are mounted on :
/dev/loop0 on /mnt/utmp/zdoom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
For these Union :
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/mmcblk0p1/pandora/appdata/zdoom=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/zdoom=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/zdoom"
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on none,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

WARNING : mount faild, re-tring
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on none,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !
+++++++
Loopback devices :
Are mounted on :
For these Union :
ERROR: The Union File-system is not mounted !
+++++++
Loopback devices :
Are mounted on :
For these Union :
[ FAILED]--- Mount the PND ----------
Return code is : 8

I did recently install quite a few PNDs some of which give me the same error some of which work perfectly. I'm in over my head enough as it is when it comes to troubleshooting but i haven't encountered something this "unfixable"

I did look at, and can post if needed, the output for pnds that do run and i dont understand what i could have changed to create this issue.

Also the switch on my SD card is in the unlocked position. i can not delete the appdata foder which is also frustrating as it was my first idea and only solution i could think of.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!

Last edited:
No point deleting your appdata folder; the problem looks to be because the zdoom PND has failed to be unmounted properly at some point, and the remount system seems to be making a hash of reusing it. If you were to reboot your system I'm pretty sure it would fix this, at least until a pnd unmount fails again.

However, this might indicate some bug that it might still be worth squashing, even at this last stage. However, I can't think of anything you can do to test it as you've got it. I'll have to try manually mounting a pnd then trying to run a dependent pnd and seeing if I can reproduce it.

The label on your SD seems generic.
Enable wifi and upgrade the system, Programs->System->Upgrade Pandora OS.

And some PNDs would not work correctly if you use a FAT32 formatted card.
It's better to format as EXT4 and use USB cable, wifi or bluetooh to transfer files.

I have a 16GB(the one with the issues) and 64GB that should have been EXT4 as I bought it for my Pandora

The 16GB was actually from my old gp2x wiz and I just deleted all the wiz specific folders and moved my rom folders around. I think I have the room on the 64GB. Maybe I'll move everything over to the 64, format the 16 EXT4 and move everything back?

Sounds as if that's my best bet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Some of us don't have the imagination to come up with a card label for every card we've got, so I see nothing wrong with leaving it blank personally.

PNDs really should work identically on ext4 and FAT formatted cards IMO. Using a FAT-formatted card means your appdata folders can't have permissions and owners, but software should try not to depend on that. Because his appdata folder seems to be unwritable suggests he's already using an ext formatted card fwiw.

Edit: Was replyig to canseco

trevornot: Did rebooting not fix the problem for now?

Some of us don't have the imagination to come up with a card label for every card we've got, so I see nothing wrong with leaving it blank personally.

PNDs really should work identically on ext4 and FAT formatted cards IMO. Using a FAT-formatted card means your appdata folders can't have permissions and owners, but software should try not to depend on that. Because his appdata folder seems to be unwritable suggests he's already using an ext formatted card fwiw.

Edit: Was replyig to canseco

trevornot: Did rebooting not fix the problem for now?

Rebooting(a few times) did not fix, just formatted and in the process of copying everything back to the 16GB.

If there are any snags I'll deleted the PNDs, re download and if it persists I'll report back.

Hmm i have read that Thread too and no one mentiond to clear the /mnt/utmp Folder?

Try that:
Open the Terminal
Type sudo thunar

With the sudoed Thunar clear the Folder
/mnt/utmp/
from any Files to clear some not right unmounted Files.

That helped me sometimes in the Past with near Errors.

I can understand lazyness, but there was a bug on the firmware, already fixed, that didn't translate the label name of the SD card.
That's why i suggested to upgrade it.

Because his appdata folder seems to be unwritable suggests he's already using an ext formatted card fwiw.

From the log he posted, APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

So maybe it was a corrupted partition.

Looking at the log i see the PND is not on menu or apps folder either, so instead of "/media/mmcblk0p1/zdoom.pnd" it should be on "/media/mmcblk0p1/menu/zdoom.pnd" or "/media/mmcblk0p1/apps/zdoom.pnd"

I would recommend to use PNDManager to install, uninstall and upgrade programs.

I can understand lazyness, but there was a bug on the firmware, already fixed, that didn't translate the label name of the SD card.
That's why i suggested to upgrade it.

From the log he posted, APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat

So maybe it was a corrupted partition.

Looking at the log i see the PND is not on menu or apps folder either, so instead of "/media/mmcblk0p1/zdoom.pnd" it should be on "/media/mmcblk0p1/menu/zdoom.pnd" or "/media/mmcblk0p1/apps/zdoom.pnd"

I would recommend to use PNDManager to install, uninstall and upgrade programs.

This actually did fix a few things other than just zdoom. Before PND manager I was just putting the PNDs in the root of the SD card. Now it's much more organized and all my PNDs appear in the manager.

As far as creativity my SD cards are labeled "pandora" and "pandora 1" How's that for creativity? Hahaha

Back