The PowerBase will be reviewing the Open Pandora

Cool !

There is some other potential good news, but it isn't definite, so I'll leave you all in suspense temporarily.
You offer a free 1GHz to the first person responding to this thread ?

Pretty good linux tech blog there. Entertained and informed me for a couple of hours. They will probably do a good review of the Pandora.

The owner of the site wants to do the review, he's been itching to get his hands on the Open Pandora.

@Linux-SWAT & K from PA:  ED's got the Freebies

I continue to be amazed by the ongoing development of, interest in, and activity around a 6-year-old console from a tiny company with a disastrous history.

Does the other news involve thinkgeek?

Link. Awesome. Getit? -->

Awesome_Link__coloured__by_md427.png
Thought not :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I continue to be amazed by the ongoing development of, interest in, and activity around a 6-year-old console from a tiny company with a disastrous history.

Does the other news involve thinkgeek?

Link. Awesome. Getit? -->

Awesome_Link__coloured__by_md427.png
Thought not :rolleyes:
Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.  But there is more news than that. :D

It is a little overly positive and the review is very software focused, but the conclusion hits the nail exactly on its head:

In other words, the Pandora isn’t for the masses, it’s for the individualist. Nobody needs a Pandora, but there is absolutely a group of people who would consider this device a must-have at any price.
direct link to the review (for convenience)

Edit: How come I have missed Race Into Space :eek: Thanks ptitSeb !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was actually quite beautiful, a review done right: actually recognizing who such a device is and is not for. It's not a perfect device, not for everyone, but if you can't recognize that it has a feature set that at least some people would pay handsomely for then you don't deserve to tell people what's good and what's bad.

Just one mistake, the 1Ghz has a DM3730 SoC, not an OMAP.

The headliner picture is very well done. It's actually looking beautiful:)

Theoretical maximum of 2TB each. So long as they continue making SD3.0 cards larger and larger the Pandora should have no problem supporting them. Or no more problems than it has now.

The problem will come when they start making SDXC cards based on the SD4.0 spec.

A well balanced review, shame no mention was made of the awesome audio quality of the Pandora.

A well balanced review, shame no mention was made of the awesome audio quality of the Pandora.
Not completely balanced I'd say, he did gloss over some of the pressing defects. On the other hand, maybe he didn't actually encounter any of them. Maybe his screen is fresh and bright, maybe the wifi worked exactly as it was designed to. I hated the entirely negative reviews where the reviewer obviously didn't even try to grasp the concept, but I'm not entirely comfortable with overly positive reviews that treat the Pandora as a perfect device. Even without it's flaws it would still be niche, but I'm worried about people from the niche it is meant for picking one up and them getting upset that a small crack formed along the backside, or that the nubs occasionally autocalibrate themselves into screwiness, or whatever.

Back