The Psp Is Delayed!

RockOut

Website
www.godsofallmedia.com
After reading the game informer magazine, I discovered an article which said that the Sony PSP launch will be delayed in the USA but will still be available at the original schedule time in Japan. The new release date for Europe and the US is March 2005! Sony said that they were waiting for developers to complete their games before releasing the PSP. This could prove to be an a great chance for the GP32 to get started before the oficial PSP release (10 Months). This could prove to be the break we have all been waiting for! B)

This news has been around for a while. Before Xmas in Japan, after Xmas for the rest of the world.

I really don't see how this is going to affect the GP32. Its target audience is not the same, so it shouldn't affect its success. And anyway, anyone thinking that the european launch is somehow going to turn their favourite handheld into a commercial success, really needs to calm down. The GP32 scene will always remain small and I, for one, do not give a crap if a million more people buy it. It's not going to change my enjoyment of the device.

Daz_Genetic posted on Mar 27 2004 at 09:17 PM said:
I really don't see how this is going to affect the GP32. Its target audience is not the same, so it shouldn't affect its success. And anyway, anyone thinking that the european launch is somehow going to turn their favourite handheld into a commercial success, really needs to calm down. The GP32 scene will always remain small and I, for one, do not give a crap if a million more people buy it. It's not going to change my enjoyment of the device.
Gamepark is already working hard at releasing the GP32. This critisism is the last thing we need. :angry: There is a large chance that the GP32 will be successful, so you have no right to say that! (Or at least until the fat lady sings.):angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, that is how the world works, brand name and advertising do a hell of a lot more then word of mouth...The sales however may bring profit to Gamepark as they a small company so less units need to be sold. In terms of numbers, PSP is alomost undoubtly win hands down.

The GP32 and the PSP target totally different audiances. The GP32 is for homebrewn open source development.

The PSP is for high name commercial software.

Sure, its always possible that they will find a way to make homebrewn games on the PSP, but just like the GBA, most of the users wont have the needed hardware (or in this case probably also a hardware mod) to play them. So only the elite % that actually purchased the mod and hardware, or whatever, will have access to these games and development suite.

Where as, with GP32, Zodiac, and Gametrac, there is no extra hardware, no modification, nothing that needs to be done to use 3rd party/indie software and games on the system.

I dont think PSP will hurt or impact the GP32 sales in any way. Nintendo, on the other hand, had better worry. Last time sony got into a market that nintendo dominated, they flew to the top, well beyond nintendo. I dont expect any less with this new venture.

the market its strange...when sony arrives with the psx,nintendo and sega laughts...and now sega its away from the battle.

but are good news liten that psp its delalled,more time to the scene to create a serious market, with some games, and many full working emus running.

yeah, the gba, for example, has emulator for it, but remember, not everyone that have a gba has a flash cart, and,all the people that have his own gp32 has many emulators, and FREE.

psp its a closed system...so bad for they =)

but what if the GP32 is delayed again or worse cancled??? people might not buy the GP32 and instead save for the PSP, But if Gamepark Advertise the GP32 right showing what it can do then they shouldnt have any problem...

Are they allowed to advertise that the GP32 can Emulate Consoles such as the SNES, NES, Gameboy, Etc Etc ???? If not this could be a problem as thats the main feature...

advertising that it can play emus or homebrew is not good in a marketing point of view or even from a legal standpoint.

Steve-O posted on Mar 27 2004 at 06:00 PM said:
but what if the GP32 is delayed again or worse cancled??? people might not buy the GP32 and instead save for the PSP, But if Gamepark Advertise the GP32 right showing what it can do then they shouldnt have any problem...

Are they allowed to advertise that the GP32 can Emulate Consoles such as the SNES, NES, Gameboy, Etc Etc ???? If not this could be a problem as thats the main feature...
thats why they unofficially advertise about the emulation, and more of a gray area, advertise on public domain playing, make some fancy word up instead of using
"EMULATION: THE HORROR OF THE 23rd CENTURY!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that it would be it would be a good idea if permission is given
but that only reaches out to so many people
i think that a lot of people would wtf mate emulation?

Even though the GP32 is mainly a home brew and emulation console, if Gamepark gets it out in March, the general people who don't know about the psp, and just want to get a pretty good console for a good price, may buy the GP32, and then not want to spend more money on the PSP right after getting the GP32. :D

Rockout, i'm sorry that you see my comments as critisism, but since I work in the games industry, I have an idea or two about these things.

Sony have just now started the PSP marketing machine. Yet they are a year away from launch in USA and Europe. In a few months you can expect to see the final unit's design, and more footage of real games running on real hardware. Many developers have had their prototype development hardware for months now, and it is said that porting PS2 titles to the PSP can take a matter of weeks. You are about to witness one of the largest impacts on the game industry since the PS1 and there is nothing a small Korean company can do about it. Just how much marketing have you seen for the GP32 outside of GP32 related websites? Yet they are less than a month away from their "big" european release.

As much as I would love to see the GP32 share the limelight, there is no chance in hell it is going to become commercially successful. This is not a cynical point of veiw, this is just common sense. At most, we may gain a few extra coders, which will at least keep the homwbrew side of things moving.

I really don't want to burst your bubble, but you are only building yourself up for a let down if you are relying on the european release. If you aren't happy with what you have on your SMC right now, you are likely never going to be happy.

Personally, I love the GP32 and what I have on my SMC right now. I am not counting on any future releases to make my gaming experience any better. A few updates or optimisations make my day.

Can you really expect that some major game manufacturers are going to take some of their coders off GBA or PSP activity in order to make games for a reletively unknown handheld with production numbers in the low thousands?

:angry: PSP, bah! I love my GP32 and I'll stick w/it till the end! B) Sony and the other cash-cows can have their high priced marketing schemes go to peoples heads. I'm not concerned, I love the games don't get me wrong, but I'm not for paying insane amounts of money for new technology that I can't play with. :rolleyes: Right now I've got commercial games, movies, music, and best of all the stuff that peeps like you and I can create on our own, not to make a profit, but to have fun!!!

All the cutting edge technology that's coming out with systems like the PSP, I like it, but let's wait to see what takes place. I think we GP32 owners have the best thing on the market right now in that we have a say in what improves, what gets more attention, where we go from here. I don't always like waiting for a major corporation to decide how we play and what we spend our money on.

This is MY personal hand-held :D

Yeah but the thing is that the psp can do everything the gp32 can do but only better. The gp32 can emulate some of the best old games every btu if sony get there way they'll be porting PS2 and emulating PS1 games.If we want to stand a chance, then the PS1 emulator that is coming out better be good. And if there is no advertisement for the emulation of the gp32, then people will just look at the commerical games and think its crap. Gamepark need to think towards the future and should start working on the next console. Forget GP64 go right on to GP128.

I don't think that Virgin Play was planning on beating all the other handheld's in the market (Mainly GBA, and PSP, Gametrac, and DS when they come out) when they made the deal with the GP32. Plus, Virgin might offer the translated version of ASR a little while after the official launch, which would boost sales. Also keep in mind that the GP32 is giong to be in the summer, the PSP and DS will appear a long time later. Giving the gp32 a lot of nice time to rack up some sales.

Well, I'm annoyed if it's delayed. Looks like a great bit of kit - I really want one.

Yeah and this gives gamepark more time to work on their commercial games. And hopefully we'll all be there buying to give the gp32 that little edge.

Back