The Pyra May Be Showing Up at the GamesCom

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
A quick recap of the recent hardware news from ED/Twitter and various comments, compiled in a single article on Pandoralive :

--> Continue Reading

toppromo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Good read. Pyra should be here soon enough.

I'm gonna cave sooner or later and buy a ps4 but I'm probably more excited about the Pyra.

Looks like it's confirmed as eds using a faster method to populate some pcbs in time for gamescom.

It's confirmed when it's confirmed. All that's been confirmed is that it's possible. Something can go wrong.

It's confirmed when it's confirmed. All that's been confirmed is that it's possible. Something can go wrong.
Yeah, like what? ;)
Dont ever ask that question again. 

And i dare anyone to answer that, especially not Mr Nostradamus there. 

Yeah, like what? ;)
Dont ever ask that question again.
I almost said the same thing to B-ZaR, but I decided to have fun instead. Also, in case you missed it, see the little winky face.  It may be better to joke about delays and problems than react in a negative way.

ED has been doing pretty good with things that could have gone bad (SoC, display, nubs, CPU board, case (maybe not a real issue), etc.).

True, however two choices were made to keep things moving ahead: it has more layers now, and he is considering going with a company that can produce the prototype quicker.

Yeah, like what? ;)
Oh, a lot, actually.

The PCB production quality could be not good enough.

There are over 1000 traces, it's more than likely that there is at least one mistake there. With a bit of bad luck, that could cause the system not to boot at all, which means we don't have anything to show.

Some traces could be too close together for the production process, therefore causing short circuits.

Maybe the powerlines are too thin, or similar.

There are TONS of things that can go wrong. This is the first prototype of a very complex PCB, guys :)

When will you receive the prototype ED? Will they have to make another one if this have some major issue?

We receive 12 PCBs July 27th. Nikolaus will partly populate some manually (to see whether the power circuit is fine, as it doesn't make sense populating the OMAP5 if ther power circuit is already broken) and analyzing some traces.

If those PCBs won't work at all, we will have to wait for Nikolaus to fix the layout and then about 5 weeks before we can do the next prototype round.

We receive 12 PCBs July 27th. Nikolaus will partly populate some manually (to see whether the power circuit is fine, as it doesn't make sense populating the OMAP5 if ther power circuit is already broken) and analyzing some traces.

If those PCBs won't work at all, we will have to wait for Nikolaus to fix the layout and then about 5 weeks before we can do the next prototype round.
3D printers can now print using metal and insulator material. Unfortunately they are not, so far, capable of printing at a resolution fine enough to do modern circuit traces. Wouldn't it be cool if they could? In the meantime, the base reality of 5 weeks between renditions is a simple reality of linear scheduling requirements.

"If a man can dig a hole one meter deep in one hour, 1000 men should be able to dig a Kilometer deep hole in one hour..."

There are some processes that simply have to happen one step at a time and cannot be done in parallel.

Oh, a lot, actually.

The PCB production quality could be not good enough.

There are over 1000 traces, it's more than likely that there is at least one mistake there. With a bit of bad luck, that could cause the system not to boot at all, which means we don't have anything to show.

Some traces could be too close together for the production process, therefore causing short circuits.

Maybe the powerlines are too thin, or similar.

There are TONS of things that can go wrong. This is the first prototype of a very complex PCB, guys :)
Switching from 8 to 10 layers should be at least leve some room for the traces. :) And I guess there are programs to check if all the traces also lead where they should lead.

If he uses that program, at least on paper it looks like it could check alot of this stuff automaticly:

http://www.altium.com/altium-designer/whats-new?source=paidsearchgoogle&medium=cpc&campaign=Own-Brand-Broad-Search-without-DE&gclid=CIf_0ciR48YCFSrpwgodrsIKqA

In response to those that replied to my previous comments, I know many things can go wrong.  I remember all the delays and cancelled projects this community has seen.  My question was a tongue in cheek rhetorical jest.

Somewhat more serious, ED, if everything is working how do you feel about the number of preorders you will get?  I know it isn't something that can be predicted, however you have been seem to be selling Pandoras quickly whenever you add some to the shop.  I am just wondering if you see a lack of preorders as a serious concern, and still think you might need to do a kickstarter.

I hope a Kickstarter will not be necessary. From what I understand ED (or the customers, depending how you look at it) would lose 10% of the money to Kickstarter and credit card firms which is a lot when we move into the million range.

Still, kick-starter is a sales pitch and a good advertising tool. If handled correctly a lot of new customers could be brought into the fold.

The more the merrier I say, but Ed would have increased demand for units and would have to cater for a higher volume of pyras.

Back