The results of rescuing a kitten.

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
Where can I view my warranty info?

I have asked this question several times, each here and to the Ithic support department. Each and every time, anything else I say will be responded to, but the question itself is ignored as though I had never asked it. Frankly, it's pissing me off, moreso since my Pandora was pissed on.

Yeah, that's right. I rescued a kitten not long ago, and what did he do? Knocked my Pandora off the shelf and peed on it. Now it won't charge, and I'm freaking out because the Pandora's already been discontinued, even though it seems the Pyra won't be out for quite some time, and even if liquid damage is covered (which, again, I can't check because nobody will answer my question), I don't even know if anything will be done about it.

So, here I am with a 600$ brick on my desk and no idea what to do about it. Can someone please give me some real information? Anyone here who isn't going to dodge my question again, PLEASE, I am begging you to help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquid damage by rescued kitten is not covered by warranty, I fear, unless ED makes an exception.

In the future, when you want your question answered, just ask here or ask ED.

But I'm sure people here can help you diagnose the problem more accurately and if it's possible to repair you can get it repaired, although it might cost something.

So.

What did happen after your Pandora was peed on? Did you remove the battery and wait until you were absolutely sure the Pandora was dry until trying to use it again?

If you bought it from Link at ithic, I suggest you send him an email. He was always very responsive to mine. Rather than ask multiple questions, ask just the one. I'm not sure it matters how it got wet, just that it did. The only thing I would be concerned about with the urine rather than water is the greater potential for corrosion. Otherwise, go back to where you bought it and send them an email or use the web form.

Thanks for rescuing a kitty!  A cat I was taking care of knocked over and shredded an important unfinished clay sculpture.  Young cat are hard.

You may have to reach into the 'kitty' and buy a new pandora. In future you may have 'paws' for thought before you rescue another little sqeuaky furball...

Seriously though. Ed can probably fix it if its not too badly damaged...just don't 'pee' him off...

What a cat-astrophe!

h45794_FD4.jpg

How long was the unit exposed to this liquid? Was it opened?

But seriously: Did you ever see a warranty that covers self induced liquid damage?

An ensurance for your pet could cover it if you have one, but most of the time those just cover damage done to other people and not you.

Why do I have a feeling the Pyra will have one of those red stickers to show if there was any liquid on it, simply because of this post now?

The warranty is two years (which is normal within the EU), however, only if the device breaks in normal usage.

Pissing onto it is sadly NOT normal usage.

I can try to fix it though (or you can try yourself).

It could be that the urin is currently doing a shortcircuit on the PCB (urin is a conductor!).

If you're lucky, no components or the PCB itself is damaged, just a short circuit right now. Opening the unit and cleaning the PCB with alcohol or contact cleaner could do the trick.

The reason the Pandora is discontinued is because we can't get hold of the needed parts anymore, not because of the Pyra.

If it was soaked in cat urine, you won't need a sticker to see it.

If it was soaked in cat urine, you won't need a sticker to see it.
Dunno about kittens, but normally you wouldn't need to use your eyes to notice :)

Try cleaning it as ED suggested!

I got an old TV for free,  it had cat urine inside, so when you turned on the TV, the whole room would smell.... I washed the components with water and soap... (NOT running water, just a moist sponge)

Buy distilled water to get that corrosive pee out soon. (I used just tab water)

In all cases, watch this first:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GfjAsbmK8?feature=oembed

FWIW, strictly speaking neither tap water or urine is charged, but they do contain salts dissolved in them which make them more conductive than pure/distilled water. And the reside when they dry will leave those salts (and urea in the case of urine) on the surface which might affect the resistance of any components they bridge. The urea will also break down to ammonia, which will smell, and can corrode metals, so it's worth getting off promptly. The cleaning advice above is sound though (albeit more thorough than anything I've ever done when cleaning electronics).

Hey everyone. Sorry if I seemed rude or hostile in my OP. I've just been very stressed out by all this, and I didn't mean to offend or upset anyone.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any distilled water at the moment, but I do have hydrogen peroxide, and I'm wondering if that's OK to use? Also, I didn't notice it'd been peed on until I got to work, and by then, it was dry. Also, it's been a couple weeks since it happened, so is cleaning it at this point even going to do anything? I didn't wanna open it up and work on it myself in case it was covered, since every other warranty I've ever had for other stuff said they would go void if I tried to fix the devices myself, so I didn't wanna take that risk with my Pandora. But since liquid damage is not covered, I suppose that's a moot point by now, anyway, so I'll see what I can do.

No! That is BAD! That is water with extra Oxigen... oxigen corrodes (oxidizes)!  I mean, it helps to clean blood and other stains... but normal water is waaay better than water peroxide.

And yes, you should open it up, just to see if all paths are ok. Usually, pee dries up like greasy, nasty smelling, stuff (in my case it was adult male urine, which is thicker, as it servers for marking territory).

Just make sure you dry it more than 8 hours (and not in a too warm environment either)

Thanks for the advice. I don't have any distilled water at the moment, but I do have hydrogen peroxide, and I'm wondering if that's OK to use? Also, I didn't notice it'd been peed on until I got to work, and by then, it was dry. Also, it's been a couple weeks since it happened, so is cleaning it at this point even going to do anything? I didn't wanna open it up and work on it myself in case it was covered, since every other warranty I've ever had for other stuff said they would go void if I tried to fix the devices myself, so I didn't wanna take that risk with my Pandora. But since liquid damage is not covered, I suppose that's a moot point by now, anyway, so I'll see what I can do.
The warranty doesn't cover liquids (which is normal).
If you try to repair it yourself, technically I guess the warranty is void. But usually ED will just bill you for the additional damage you caused. Or when you open it and break off the microphone (something which can easily happen, pay attention) then ED will still give you warranty as usual, just not for that microphone. Or he'll fix it for free anyway "because it so fast and easy". He is a nice guy.

If you're too scared doing it yourself, I can also try to do it.

I can clean it at least, maybe that's all that needs to be done.

And yes, cleaning could still help, even if it happened weeks before.

As mentioned, it might be that the dried pee still conducts and makes a shortcircuit where non should be, cleaning that would fix it.

The best stuff to use would be anhydrous alcohol, it's 99% water-free. Unfortunately it's also not something you can find just anywhere. Ordering the denatured variant online is the easiest way to get it.

Mad props to ED for offering to clean dried cat pee off someone's Pandora. Hopefully that's all that needs to be done to get it back in working order!

Back