The Wonder smartphone console hybrid thing, as presented by Nolan Bushnell and... Shakira?!

Not interesting, it's not backed by bear grillis and chuck norris...

Well, they tried to get Chuck Norris, but he's busy developing his own handheld gaming hardware project, the Sony Walker. >_>

aw, no pics (yet) :(
but yay, a gaming smartphone that is NOT funded by a shady kickstarter created by people you've never heard about \o/

Let's see:
  • Mixes of nice words like wonder, smartphone, console all for just one marvelous do it all device: check.
  • Obscure funders: check.
  • Not a single image or concept: check.
  • Random known names to gather attention: check.
No, I definitely don't see what might go wrong there...

Looks like it may have a VR slant.

"Whether the device is more Nintendo Switch or Nokia N-Gage is anyone’s guess, but the company is looking to stock the device with exclusive software and services optimized for the device and will be optimizing the device for virtual reality usage."

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/28/m...artup-wonder-announces-14-million-in-funding/

Looks like they plan for it to go on salein Q4 this year: https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/wonder-smartphone-startup-news/

Last edited:
I sense a standard non-inovative TCL chinese smartphone, overpriced to pay for the ads and celebrities and with shitty overpriced accessories.

Let's wait and see.

lol it's the PGS! Finally their Japanese partners have gathered all celebrities they could to promote the greatest handheld ever to be devised by a human being. And because he is asian, George Takei has been elected lead developer! Shakira will do all further marketing, shania twain is going to promote this with the elderly, and they got Kanye West as a feature designer!

Yeah, it's a bit different to PGS. For one they have $14 million in the bank that they raised from those people and companies - which they are using to develop the product. They are also being assisted by people from some big companies like Google, Microsoft

It probably will be another random generic Chinese phone through..

It probably will be another random generic Chinese phone through..

Well this is from the DT article I linked to before

"The Wonder device may end up looking like nothing we’ve seen before. Rumors are gathering that the company is working hard to make its product really stand out. An anonymous source with knowledge of the company’s plans told Digital Trends that Wonder is, “Working with one of the most famous industrial designers, responsible for iconic technology product designs over the past decade,” on an innovative design plan.

This fits in with previous reports. Wonder’s CEO Andy Kleinman has already spoken about smartphone design and functionality being restricted due to the need of larger companies to appeal to a massive audience. He sees the Wonder phone shifting away from that, and apparently intends to create something futuristic and a style icon, according to an anonymous source speaking to"

Uh oh, looks like I used the wrong forum then. My bad.

To be fair though, that Android forum is rather musty. Is it safe to go in there currently?

Yeah, it's a bit different to PGS. For one they have $14 million in the bank that they raised from those people and companies - which they are using to develop the product. They are also being assisted by people from some big companies like Google, Microsoft
:D I don't see how this is different. PGS also claim they have millions in the bank and a bunch of super important and integer investors - who would like to stay anonymous. And they've also claimed they have a bunch of industry leading designers (George Takei? Kanye West? A Steve Jobs simulacrum?)

on a more serious note: oh no it's got android, this is going to be very innovative... and a VR angle, how surprising... and Microsoft collaborating with Google? Common, this is just begging to be made fun of.
All I read is marketing marketing marketing, GM of this huge venture and GM of that huge corporation. No prior experience in the field, and the community comes before knowing what kind of product will be produced. WTF?

I predict this will be another generic closed down life style device that comes with all the bell and whistles of the IoT/VR hype age. Gesture controls, motion tracking and a voice command interface paired with a pseudo AI ala siri/google now/alexa. The data leakage and constant surveillance is free of charge of course.

Saying you have some investment from an anomyous source, then not having an investor, then having an investor, then maybe or maybe not - is a world apart from actually having $14Million from people and companies that are named .

Anyway, here is more about it on Business Insider, they still say the end of the year and that they are producing it now.

"but a source familiar with the company’s plans described the product as a large, high-end mobile device that will work with a number of accessories aimed at making it more useful for gaming. That will include a dock for use TVs, the source said, which helps the device function somewhat like Nintendo’s Switch console. All of this is based on Android.

Kleinman has previously said the company is interested in virtual reality tech as well.

There is plenty of reason to be sceptical of a project like this. But Kleinman and Wonder do have some relevant experience: Kleinman has previously had stints at mobile game makers Scopely and Zynga, while a LinkedIn search shows veterans from HTC, Activision, Sony, and former Android modder Cyanogen holding prominent positions at the company.

Read more at https://www.businessinsider.com/wonder-smartphone-gamers-2017-6#yoL3QH38Dp0axPEm.99 "

They should get those nice folks at warner to do a wonder woman promo with this. Gal gadot... easy on the eyes, damn fine actress too.
But yeah, console hybridization fatigue is setting in. Could be that this one is worth a punt, dunno.

No keyboard, that's so 20th century, that whole device is virtual and you would add a keyboard?!?

Back