There Should Be A Skins Tab In The Appstore

Should there be a skins tab in the appstore?

• Yes

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Maybe, I don't care

Votes: 7 31.8%

• Total voters

michie4life

Still Fresh
SomeGuy99 said:
fusion_power said:
Nice. Now you just have to make a one-button-installs-everything-method for such skin changing. ;)

That wouldn't be hard at all. I don't know why XFCE doesn't have one like Gnome does? In Gnome you just drag and drop.

If I could figure out how to make a working PND, these themes could be packaged up and installed automatically... but you'd miss out all the fun of learning Linux ;)

I notice these days a lot of Gnome themes are just put into packages and stuck up on the repo, and people install that way.

If you want, I can put the themes and libraries into a zip file and include an installation shell script. You'd be able to run it from your SD card or whatever?

Well then you can just download the from the appstore and run and you have your nice skin.

Paddy's suggestion:
paddy said:
In the app store it should be user/dev created stuff ,so wallpapers COULD go in there but really shouldn't and themes i think should also not go in ,i would much rather see a proper repo or a pandora/site for os themes/wallpapers and mini menu themes ,also sound sets like bootup/shutdown buttons - and scripts to change asects of the bootup/default mhz - and button maps or mabe some new software included into updates that offers the user a gui for this stuff cpu and themes.

Pandora repo
------------
Firmware (need to reflash or upgrade ?)
Scripts (take control of many aspects of your pandora)
Patches (software fixes mini updates)
Wallpaper (pandora desktop art)
OS themes (change your windows manager themes)
Minimenu themes (skin your minimenu)
Software PND's (current set of pandora specific software/apps)
Emulation (atari2600 or n64 you decide)
Games (Games writen/optimised for the pandora)

mabe we could have all this on the store ,it would be ultra handy i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the app store it should be user/dev created stuff ,so wallpapers COULD go in there but really shouldn't and themes i think should also not go in ,i would much rather see a proper repo or a pandora/site for os themes/wallpapers and mini menu themes ,also sound sets like bootup/shutdown buttons - and scripts to change asects of the bootup/default mhz - and button maps or mabe some new software included into updates that offers the user a gui for this stuff cpu and themes.

anyway sscrubthat rubbish above :ph34r:

Pandora repo
------------

paddy said:

Pandora repo
------------

Yes Do want :)

Last edited by a moderator:
skins arent accepted as pnd files are they? wonder if they could be :)

If you make a PND that installs to NAND, it might be nice that if you run it again, it can remove whatever it installed. The PND could either check the filesystem for whatever it put on there, or use a log file in it's own appdata folder.

Also, if you put something in the PXML specification to flag up a PND as being type 'install/uninstall' that information can be used later - for example building an 'add/remove programs' system.

An AppStore that provides skins and wallpapers? Yeah, sure, that makes a lot of sense!

I say: use the file archive for misc. files such as themes and the like, or just reuse existing communities such as xfce-look.org to avoid fragmentation.

For wallpapers, there's my site http://pandorawalls.dyndns.org/ ; either use that, or start a new site that is responsible for *dedicated* wallpaper/themes hosting. Neither the file archive nor the app store are currently capable of storing enough metadata as I would expect from a wallpaper hosting site (for example: tags, resolution information, category, dominant colors, copyright info, etc) so to me, those aren't viable alternatives.

Back