Thinking About Buying A Gp2x - Need Some Questions Answered

Jenga-san

Still Fresh
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I was considering buying a PSP until I heard about this little device. I may buy it but I have questions and I don't want to regret dropping $170 on this.

1. I'm primarily interested in this so I can watch anime and movies when I'm at college. What video quality can I expect?

2. I know this thing has TV out, how much video quality will I lose when the video is being transferred?

3. Are there any kind of audio/video sync problems?

Any answers will be appreciated. If I have any other questions I'll ask them later.

Shikaku's right.

The GP2X does a very nice job sizing large res files down to fit its screen, and the fps is really just as much as the video being played will allow. TV-Out is very nice, and when connected, it outputs the video in its full resolution, so it's not like you'll be watching a video sized down to 320x240 and then stretched for the TV screen. You'll be watching it in its actual resolution.

I haven't had any sync problems, but, like Shikaku said, that really comes down to if the video's encoded right or not.

shinneri posted on Aug 14 2006 at 05:04 AM said:
TV-Out is very nice, and when connected, it outputs the video in its full resolution

yeah, I never originally understood why the gp2x has got a higher-res tv-output than its internal screen, but I just got my tv-out converter and wow now I get it :) its really very good for such a low-spec machine.

have had the odd sync problem with videos, but only when continuously forward/rewinding. easy fix is to exit then immediately reload the video, so it automatically resumes from where it left off. I think this was due to the encoding of that file, which was at a very high res, so high bitrate

The great[i/] thing is you can just dump files on there at ANY res, and they will usually play, if your SD card can handle the bit rate, so this saves a whole lotta grief of re-encoding that I've seen my mates go through to try to get vids to play on their mobile phones for example.

edit: though, I am now having some compatibility problems with my tv :( see other help thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Back