Thinking About Buying A Gp2x...

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
Hey everybody!

I've been looking at a getting a GP2X for a long time now. I have a Nintendo DS and already have homebrew working on that. I know that GP2X has great emulation (NES, SNES, Neo Geo, and Playstation is in the works) but is there any other homebrew besides emulation that is worth noting?

Can you give me some links to some good homebrew games?

Is the joystick a serious issue? I don't want to buy a GP2X and just have it break soon after. Is there a simple mod I can do to prevent the joystick from breaking?

Where should I buy the GP2X from? I'm in the USA BTW. PlayAsia has the GP2X Value Pack for $189

Should I buy the Value Pack or just the system?

How is video and music playback? Is the GP2X good as an MP3 player? Is it a good as a video player?

Are there any other issues worth noting?

And finally...Do those of you who have bought a GP2X feel it was a good purchase?

Thanks a bunch.

For homebrew games: just probe around the archive (I really like extender & blingo

I have no problem with the joystick

bought mine from play-asia, no prob

buy a value pack (they are the only ones new) and downgrade to 2.1.1 (just like upgrading

video is pretty good (I have no problems)
but audio is bad (if you turn it up it gets crackely)

Issues: you'll be addicted :lol:

I think it was an awesome purchase B)

-purple_goat

It is worth it, its good video player if you use headphones and many emulators are perfect.
And I'm thinking some homebrew ideas that will rock

If you need Playstation emulation, then probably your best bet is a PSP, cos honestly, PS emulation is never gonna be that great on the 2x.

That said, the GP2x emulates most things pre-PS very well, and also the GBA...

quadomatic posted on Mar 26 2007 at 05:49 PM said:
Hey everybody!

Hello!

I've been looking at a getting a GP2X for a long time now. I have a Nintendo DS and already have homebrew working on that. I know that GP2X has great emulation (NES, SNES, Neo Geo, and Playstation is in the works) but is there any other homebrew besides emulation that is worth noting?

Forget about playstation for a while, it exists as a proof of concept and the only game I found playable was Oddworld, which have too many graphical errors. However, most games runs OK, but very slowly
Apart from that, everything from 1970 until GBA, Snes, NeoGeo or MegaCD is playable (so forget N64, Saturn and more powerfull) unless there is no emulator
They may not be perfect, but some are very good (Picodrive for example) and they are playable minimally at an acceptable speed, and up to fullspeed (sometimes with a little overclocking)

Is the joystick a serious issue? I don't want to buy a GP2X and just have it break soon after. Is there a simple mod I can do to prevent the joystick from breaking?

I don't think so... Some says it is sh*t but once you have a grip on it, it does the job well! I find it 1000x superior to the ugly stick-thingy and the 4 buttons Dpad on the PSP, but I would have preferred a good Dpad!
The only issue I have is, the plastic thing being 'bitten' by the metal stick, causing it to rotate if you try to move the joystick... But I can play fine and I have replacement caps (they are cheap)...

Should I buy the Value Pack or just the system?

Simply depends on what you want! Minimum I would advise is, the GP2X, SD card, batteries, carrying case and AC Adapter. I have TVout but don't use it much, only for watching movie or play on a big screen sometimes :)

How is video and music playback? Is the GP2X good as an MP3 player? Is it a good as a video player?

You'd better buy a cheap (or not so cheap) 2Gb MP3 player, because the GP2X is big, have a quite poor battery life (I don't know how much with the audio player and screen shut off, though), not as practical as a true MP3 player, and you'll have to carry an SD card (because the one you will game with will soon be filled :) )
But it does the job perfectly well if you have nothing else, especially if you try homebrew music players

And finally...Do those of you who have bought a GP2X feel it was a good purchase?

If you like emulation and classics like Doom or Duke3D, so go for it :) If you want nice 3D graphics and PSX emulation, go for a PSP, if you like Nintendo buy a DS :) But personally I'm happy with my purchase, especially since I can play GBA's Castlevanias!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you give me some links to some good homebrew games?
Take a look at the file archive (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi). There are hundred of good homebrew programs in there.

Is there a simple mod I can do to prevent the joystick from breaking?

Never ever heard of a joystick breaking. :blink:

Where should I buy the GP2X from? I'm in the USA BTW. PlayAsia has the GP2X Value Pack for $189

Don't forget shipping costs and taxes. You may end up paying more than in an US shop.

Here's an older thread with some great homebrew recommendations. More new releases came since then, you'll certainly have a blast digging through the archive.

Have fun!

It's well worth it. I like the joystick, but you can always buy a D-pad mod if you don't.

Homebrew is brilliant, with some great apps and games available. Emulation is generally superb. MP3 is great with CraigAmp, OldPlay, etc -- you can even encode to Ogg to save space. Video playing seems good, but I rarely use it. TV-out is a BIG bonus.

Play Asia is fine. The Value Pack is not really worth much extra except for n00bs (but if you got homebrew working on DS you'll be fine), but it's not really that much more expensive to be a problem.

Make sure you get some good 2500mAh rechargeable AA batteries and good (not turbo) charger. Also an SD card reader can help.

I NEVER thought that my GP2X was not worth the money. About every week or two someone comes out with something new that you will like. You can make your own movies for it also.

Keep it in a case when it is not in use and you should not have any probs with it.

Do not forget to get a good set of recharge bats. You will need them.

As far as a good US store check out www.gp2xstore.com They ship fast and are helpful if you have any probs.

GP2X saves me money , sega and other companies revamps old titles and sells them like some sort of smash pack. But why re-buy those games if I already own the originals? Also they revamp these games mostly for consoles, but why do that when I can just play them on the go? and if I want it fullscreen I just use the good old TV-Out feature.

Hi All :)
Just like to say iwill be getting mine in the post in the morrning :D and cant wait to play ALL the emulators that are out on it especially the Mega CD one looks awesome but then again they all look awesome :p

purple_goat posted on Mar 27 2007 at 03:39 AM said:
quadomatic posted on Mar 26 2007 at 06:36 PM said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably be getting a GP2X very soon...
:)
Please don't make pointless posts, try to include atleast one word aswell as a smiley, okey dokey?

sam fisher posted on Mar 27 2007 at 06:51 AM said:
purple_goat posted on Mar 27 2007 at 03:39 AM said:
quadomatic posted on Mar 26 2007 at 06:36 PM said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll probably be getting a GP2X very soon...
:)
Please don't make pointless posts, try to include atleast one word aswell as a smiley, okey dokey?

Please don't make pointless posts about people making pointless posts... It is really pointless... Righty dokey? :lol:

Back