Thrill And Suspense : New Blog From Ed

StalkS

Still Fresh
Website
www.retrovault.com
New dev Blog

Quote:

Your all waiting for more shiny case pictures, right? Well... we all are.
However, I did make a fault with my last blog post - as the pictures had been released, I assumed the shipment to Michael was on the way. It isn't yet - sorry about that, I was so excited about that myself, I really thought it was on the way.

The reason the cases are not yet on the way to Michael is that one mould still had a problem with the shrinking. What's that, you might ask? Well, due to the big heat and cooling off afterwards, the material shrinks a bit - and if the mould is not perfectly adjusted, it doesn't fit 100% or will look ugly.
To adjust it perfectly it has to be done a bit via a trial and error method: Check where the shrinking occurs, change the mould there, try again, etc.
It's nothing major and no problem at all, it's a normal process in mould creation and shouldn't take more than a couple of days. We're still trying to ship as many as possible before christmas!

I thought I'd just let you know :)

Back to some got news: The board production is still going fine. Everything is ready for the big run, it looks like there won't be any delay here, yeeha.

As there was a discussion about suspend, etc. going on at the boards: We're working on a temporary solution as REAL suspend to RAM is pretty complicated and will definately take a while. Therefore, we include as much power saving functions as possible to make it similar to suspend. It's basically the same way mobile phones and PDAs do work (they don't suspend, otherwise you couldn't get a phone call). With proper power management, this standby mode should long about 10 days until you need to recharge the battery, so that should be fine enough.
Of course, you can always shut the system down completely so it won't need any more power at all :)

That's it for today, let's hope the shrinkage will be fixed really soon! :)

EvilDragon

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess it must be the top cover and bottom section which are shrinking as we did not get to see any photos of those pieces. They'll get there in the end ;)

StalkS

"The board production is still going fine. Everything is ready for the big run"

I dont understand this line so the boards are not being manufactured yet? also the moulds won't be given the thumbs up for atleast another week :(

Guess that's the reason why we didn't have a photo from the outer part of the lid or from the bottom part of the case...

This is getting beyond a joke. Shrinkage! who would have thought it? Well the fecking mould manufacturer for one.

antheus123 said:
"The board production is still going fine. Everything is ready for the big run"

I dont understand this line so the boards are not being manufactured yet? also the moulds won't be given the thumbs up for atleast another week :(

Sorry for not making myself clear - the boards (without parts) are finished, the rest is assembly (that doesn't take long, a run with 500 pieces can be done in a few hours). And that should start together with the cases so that everything can be assembled pretty quickly without lying around for a few days :)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
<snip> the rest is assembly (that doesn't take long, a run with 500 pieces can be done in a few hours) <snip>
Sorry for questioning again, do you mean populate the boards?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ed, that is very informative like always. I don't think allot of the forum members truly understand how much work go's into the final case. I do PSP, and DS case mods in my spare time, and I use the Hong Kong/Chinese cases. Some are very nice, and very well put together, but I haven't ever had one that is perfect to the originals. Everyone is slightly differant in it's own way. These companies are only supplying after market cases, and I'm sure they try and make them as close to the originals as possible. It makes me appreciate the care and perfection that goes into all original electronic handheld cases. For them to be perfect over hundreds of thousands requires constant testing and observation thru out production. So what we are seeing comes as no suprise to me!

We have all seen the parts that are done as picture are made available, and there is only a few left. I know it is hard to understand that a date is given one day, and the next thing you know it is wrong! The more pairs of hands are involved in any job, the harder it is to get an exact date for anything! Period! The mould company gives an estimate, based on a managers estamate, the managers estimate is based on an empolyees estimate, so forth and so on! It only takes one person to be off by one day, and everything gets thrown off. It's the way BIG business, and small business is run.

To everyone who have been waiting, the team is doing there best based on the information they have. I don't believe anyone has lied, or been deceptive over the last 2 years. The information they had a year ago, led them to belive they could be done and shipping by xmas 2008. I'm sure companies who want business during slow economic times(as well as good times), will say anything to insure sales. If that means padding the truth, or having delays after the fact there is not allot the team can do. Once a small company like Openpandora has paid for parts and products, they don't really have allot of options if things don't go as planned. So please just hang in there, it's not like you can't see the progress that has been made over the last year while waitng.

Jumpman

Frankly, I'm pretty fed up with the Chinese mould company at this point. The moulds were supposed to be ready - guess when - TWO MONTHS and TWO WEEKS ago, so they're about 10 weeks late. Instead of the 35 days, it's been a 100. Maybe they should all seek new jobs?

where are the "two xxx (tm)" jokes?

srry i know they are no longer funny.

but wouldnt it be wise to get the boards ready already? in order to pre-test em or checking if theres any other fault on the populating that would require two more (tm)

really this is getting annoying

srry its been all nice dream but any more unexpected expected delays would be just nonsense. i dont want to but the faith is breaking apart.

jumpman said:
Thanks Ed, that is very informative like always. I don't think allot of the forum members truly understand how much work go's into the final case. I do PSP, and DS case mods in my spare time, and I use the Hong Kong/Chinese cases. Some are very nice, and very well put together, but I haven't ever had one that is perfect to the originals. Everyone is slightly differant in it's own way. These companies are only supplying after market cases, and I'm sure they try and make them as close to the originals as possible. It makes me appreciate the care and perfection that goes into all original electronic handheld cases. For them to be perfect over hundreds of thousands requires constant testing and observation thru out production. So what we are seeing comes as no suprise to me!

We have all seen the parts that are done as picture are made available, and there is only a few left. I know it is hard to understand that a date is given one day, and the next thing you know it is wrong! The more pairs of hands are involved in any job, the harder it is to get an exact date for anything! Period! The mould company gives an estimate, based on a managers estamate, the managers estimate is based on an empolyees estimate, so forth and so on! It only takes one person to be off by one day, and everything gets thrown off. It's the way BIG business, and small business is run.

To everyone who have been waiting, the team is doing there best based on the information they have. I don't believe anyone has lied, or been deceptive over the last 2 years. The information they had a year ago, led them to belive they could be done and shipping by xmas 2008. I'm sure companies who want business during slow economic times(as well as good times), will say anything to insure sales. If that means padding the truth, or having delays after the fact there is not allot the team can do. Once a small company like Openpandora has paid for parts and products, they don't really have allot of options if things don't go as planned. So please just hang in there, it's not like you can't see the progress that has been made over the last year while waitng.

Jumpman

Well said!!!

StalkS said:
Therefore, we include as much power saving functions as possible to make it similar to suspend. It's basically the same way mobile phones and PDAs do work (they don't suspend, otherwise you couldn't get a phone call). With proper power management, this standby mode should long about 10 days until you need to recharge the battery, so that should be fine enough.

This is to ED or whomever will be in making these decisions for updates to the base images....

Once you all figure out the "real" suspend.... please leave this "fake" one as an selectable option.

Much apperciated

Bosbeetle said:
It riot time again /me grabs the popcorn :)
:D
Fanboys vs. Whiners

$10 on the Fanboys

Edit: We need a stadium announcer like in Quake 3.
"Quasist fragged jumpman" or something

does this mean there wont be a black friday deal on the pandora?

Back